Am I the only one who misses Mario Golf?

Anser

King Bowser
I was a huge fan of the Nintendo 64 version of Mario Golf. I never had the chance to play Toadstool Tour, but I've seen many videos of it and it looks like a great game. I wasn't a big fan of the handheld versions, though. I found them a little bit... bland. Not to mention that the fact that having more generic humans than Mario characters being playable kind of bugged me off.

I am also aware that Mario Golf isn't exactly the most popular Mario spin-off out there, but hey, Toadstool Tour got the Player's Choice label, meaning it sold more than a million copies.

I found it very strange that we never got a Wii version. I think, however, that we might end up getting a Mario Golf game for the Wii U pretty soon. What do you think? Do you miss Mario Golf? Do you think a Wii U/3DS version is going to be made? Do you want them to be made? Discuss.

Never played them. I like Toadstool Tour's Pikmin Easter Egg, though, and I think having another Mario Golf for the Wii U could be cool.

I loved Mario Golf 64 and I loved Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour.

The only reason I would want one is for bogey animations and the chance of Baby Luigi playable, though.

Made a similar topic about this http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=21148.msg899320#msg899320

I loved Mario Golf 64 and Toadstool Tour, and still no news about a new game. :(

Yeah, if they announce another Mario platformer instead of a fun, multiplayer spin-off, I'll get MAD

Baby Luigi said:
Yeah, if they announce another Mario platformer instead of a fun, multiplayer spin-off, I'll get MAD

Me too. Give poor Mario a rest and let him relax for a while.

One of the things I loved about Mario Golf 64 was that there were many things to unlock (especially characters) and that they were very difficult to unlock. Also, that many of the characters we consider "standard" today, like Wario, Luigi and even Mario, were unlockable in that game. I would make that return, because it was interesting and it was a twist from what we were used to see. This would be the roster in my opinion:

Basic:

-Mario
-Peach
-Yoshi
-Wario
-Donkey Kong
-Rosalina
-Baby Mario
-Baby Peach
-Baby Wario
-Toad
-Koopa Troopa
-Shy Guy

Unlockable:

-Luigi
-Daisy
-Birdo
-Waluigi
-Diddy Kong
-Lubba
-Baby Luigi
-Baby Daisy
-Baby Donkey Kong
-Toadette
-Toadsworth
-Bowser
-Bowser Jr.
-King Boo
-Petey Piranha
-Wiggler

I know it's weird that there are more unlockable characters than basic characters, but it was like that in Mario Golf 64 as well. Yes, deal with all the babies (I never got the hate). Nintendo seems to be excluding Rosalina because of her gentle personality, and they don't want to see her jumping around and acting all crazy. That's why I think golf perfectly suits her. Toadsworth is old, and golf is played mostly by old people.

AND GIVE LUBBA HIS GODDAMN PLAYABLE DEBUT ALREADY.

I don't think Waluigi should be unlockable. First, he's Camelot's own character and second, making him unlockable means that he probably won't appear in the opening sequence. Come on, we need an opening sequence for that game!

Yes, deal with all the babies (I never got the hate).

It's probably because they "replaced" a more "deserving" character. It's just like H. Queen's case. But I don't think you like H. Queen, though. Or Metal Mario.

Baby Luigi said:
I don't think Waluigi should be unlockable. First, he's Camelot's own character and second, making him unlockable means that he probably won't appear in the opening sequence. Come on, we need an opening sequence for that game!

Well, he was unlockable in Mario Kart DS... But you may be right. Mario Kart DS was not Camelot's after all.

I don't think Waluigi was unlockable in any of Camelot's games. Hell, even Mario was unlockable at least once.

Besides, I really want him for an opening sequence for that game. Sure, Camelot flopped it up in Mario Tennis Open, but if there was another Camelot game, they should do it.

Baby Luigi said:
I don't think Waluigi was unlockable in any of Camelot's games. Hell, even Mario was unlockable at least once.

Besides, I really want him for an opening sequence for that game. Sure, Camelot flopped it up in Mario Tennis Open, but if there was another Camelot game, they should do it.

I think they didn't do an opening sequence for Mario Tennis Open because it was a 3DS game, and they don't have as much memory as a console game.

About being unlockable; I don't think that should stop Waluigi from appearing in the opening sequence. Boo appeared in Toadstool Tour's opening and he was unlockable.

Yeah, same with Mario in Mario Golf 64

But for such a narrative-like opening, and for his starring role in the narrative opening, he should at least be default.

I've got Toadstool Tour, and I don't like it, honestly. I guess it's probably because I don't tend to be good at most golf games.

Baby Luigi said:
Yeah, same with Mario in Mario Golf 64

But for such a narrative-like opening, and for his starring role in the narrative opening, he should at least be default.

Yeah, even Luigi was unlockable in that game. All in favor of those stupid and forgettable humans.

I really liked Toadstool Tour's opening, but I think it was too much Wario and Waluigi. The same goes to Mario Power Tennis. I mean, I know they're the comic relief of the franchise, but come on. It's MARIO Golf. I would create an opening sequence that revolves around Mario and that it's entertaining somehow.

Oh, and another thing I would like to return: the costume changes. They were mysteriously absent from Toadstool Tour. In Mario Golf 64, I always play with Blue Yoshi.

Wario and Waluigi does make the scenes pretty entertaining though. It develops their personality. I mean, Waluigi hasn't gotten a shot at appearing in the main platforming games. I think the cutscenes and other chances he got to display his personality has given him more fans and respect for the character himself, rather than being a purple evil clone of Luigi. I think it's ok to have the spotlight on someone else other than the expected (case in point, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, Yoshi, etc.) for once.

Same could be said for Wario, but Wario has his own series. But besides, Waluigi just couldn't appear on his own without Wario.

I love the costume changes. They're a great way to play as the same character at the same time. I don't know why Nintendo hasn't done this yet. It's not as if the Mario series was known for its logic anyway. We should just toss away logic in favor of player convenience, since that's what the Mario games are all about. I mean, Mario Kart Wii had a cloning thing and absolutely no one complained about it. Heck, you can even race against your same character in online. What's the hold up.

The only complaint about costume changes I have? Baby Mario didn't obtain a Baby Luigi outfit >_< Which is the reason I play as Minty Baby Mario. I also love killing nasty yellow Donkey Kong with brown skin.

Anser said:
Baby Luigi said:

Me too. Give poor Mario a rest and let him relax for a while.

One of the things I loved about Mario Golf 64 was that there were many things to unlock (especially characters) and that they were very difficult to unlock. Also, that many of the characters we consider "standard" today, like Wario, Luigi and even Mario, were unlockable in that game. I would make that return, because it was interesting and it was a twist from what we were used to see. This would be the roster in my opinion:

Basic:

-Mario
-Peach
-Yoshi
-Wario
-Donkey Kong
-Rosalina
-Baby Mario
-Baby Peach
-Baby Wario
-Toad
-Koopa Troopa
-Shy Guy

Unlockable:

-Luigi
-Daisy
-Birdo
-Waluigi
-Diddy Kong
-Lubba
-Baby Luigi
-Baby Daisy
-Baby Donkey Kong
-Toadette
-Toadsworth
-Bowser
-Bowser Jr.
-King Boo
-Petey Piranha
-Wiggler

I know it's weird that there are more unlockable characters than basic characters, but it was like that in Mario Golf 64 as well. Yes, deal with all the babies (I never got the hate). Nintendo seems to be excluding Rosalina because of her gentle personality, and they don't want to see her jumping around and acting all crazy. That's why I think golf perfectly suits her. Toadsworth is old, and golf is played mostly by old people.

AND GIVE LUBBA HIS GODdang PLAYABLE DEBUT ALREADY.
Sorry but Luigi should never be unlockable. (excludes SSB)

Anser said:
Basic:

-Mario
-Peach
-Yoshi
-Wario
-Donkey Kong
-Rosalina
-Baby Mario
-Baby Peach
-Baby Wario
-Toad
-Koopa Troopa
-Shy Guy

Unlockable:

-Luigi
-Daisy
-Birdo
-Waluigi
-Diddy Kong
-Lubba
-Baby Luigi
-Baby Daisy
-Baby Donkey Kong
-Toadette
-Toadsworth
-Bowser
-Bowser Jr.
-King Boo
-Petey Piranha
-Wiggler

In response to that roster, Luigi definitely shouldn't be unlockable, and neither should Daisy. Rosalina and Baby Wario should be shifted to Unlockable, and Bowser and Bowser Jr. should be playable from the start, in my opinion.

I also think Baby Peach and Baby Luigi's places should be swapped, but whatever. Personal taste. I love the roster so far. It's excellent. If that occurred, I would have fun making Baby Daisy get a +8, with Donkey Kong +7 and Wario +10

NSY said:
Sorry but Luigi should never be unlockable. (excludes SSB)

I kind of agree, but remember that he was unlockable in Mario Golf 64. I repeated that this time around to not have Mario Kart Wii's roster all over again. It's a little twist to make the roster different from the others.

Rolf said:
In response to that roster, Luigi definitely shouldn't be unlockable, and neither should Daisy. Rosalina and Baby Wario should be shifted to Unlockable, and Bowser and Bowser Jr. should be playable from the start, in my opinion.

I'll take this into account. I was thinking of making Rosalina unlockable, as I think she's too special to be a basic character. Like I said earlier, I just wanted to make this roster as different from the others as possible, but your opinion is very good. Daisy has been unlockable in Mario Kart DS, Wii and 7, so her being unlockable this time around wouldn't be anything new. About Baby Wario, I think you're right again. About Bowser: he's a very special character in Mario Golf since he's the most powerful out there, so I think that puts him apart from the others, and Bowser Jr. being basic without his father would be kind of strange (although I think this already happened once, but I don't remember which game it was... I think it was Mario Hoops 3-on-3).

Baby Luigi said:
I also think Baby Peach and Baby Luigi's places should be swapped, but whatever. Personal taste. I love the roster so far. It's excellent. If that occurred, I would have fun making Baby Daisy get a +8, with Donkey Kong +7 and Wario +10

Thanks! LOL @ the Baby Daisy and Wario comment.

Oh, one more thing! Which effects would we add to when players hit a ball? I remember in Mario Golf both Yoshi and DONKEY KONG would have a rainbow when they got a Nice Shot. Mario, Baby Mario, Metal Mario and Bowser would share a fire ball and Luigi, Peach and all the humans shared a simple beam of light. I would give red fire to Mario, green fire to Luigi, hearts to Peach, flowers to Daisy, a rainbow for Yoshi, bubbles for Toad, stars for Rosalina, and I don't know what else. What do you think?

Your roster is very good, I would just add Metal Mario, and make him the most powerful character.

I know I'm going to get ripped apart on this, but do we really need Baby Wario, Baby Daisy, and Baby Donkey Kong in that game? I mean, why resort to using babies when there are other characters that would be much more interesting? Why not Kamek, Dry Bones, or hell, even a Pianta or Noki?

Cirdec said:
Your roster is very good, I would just add Metal Mario, and make him the most powerful character.

I was thinking about Metal Mario, but I think he's not very popular anymore. He's just Mario's model with a different texture, and people seem to get pissed off because of that.

Chilly said:
I know I'm going to get ripped apart on this, but do we really need Baby Wario, Baby Daisy, and Baby Donkey Kong in that game? I mean, why resort to using babies when there are other characters that would be much more interesting? Why not Kamek, Dry Bones, or hell, even a Pianta or Noki?

Then I would have to ask "why not" have them? I mean, what's so bad about them? They're unique characters unlike Kamek, Dry Bones, Pianta and Noki. Don't get me wrong, they would be cool too, but then again, they aren't that special and they're too generic (yes, Koopa Troopa and Shy Guy are generic too, but they're more popular and iconic to the franchise).

Anser said:
Oh, one more thing! Which effects would we add to when players hit a ball? I remember in Mario Golf both Yoshi and DONKEY KONG would have a rainbow when they got a Nice Shot.

Only Birdo and Yoshi had a rainbow when there is a Nice Shot

I dunno what Baby Luigi can have

Baby Luigi said:
Anser said:
Oh, one more thing! Which effects would we add to when players hit a ball? I remember in Mario Golf both Yoshi and DONKEY KONG would have a rainbow when they got a Nice Shot.

Only Birdo and Yoshi had a rainbow when there is a Nice Shot

I dunno what Baby Luigi can have

I know, but Donkey Kong also had a rainbow in Mario Golf 64.

Back