December 21st, 2012

Time Turner

You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
Well, we're less then two weeks until the end of the Mayan calendar, so I suppose we might as well talk about it for a bit. For those that are still in the dark, the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar of several ancient civilizations, most notably the Mayans, ended precisely on the 21st of December on 2012, and that this calendar somehow foretold the end of the entire world. So, do you believe in it? Do you think it's just pure nonsense, or that there's a shred of credibility to it?

Personally, I think that the people who are preparing for the end of the world are nuts, but I am a bit worried that one of these people will go and do something insane and potentially dangerous to themselves and anyone around them.

Time Turner said:
Personally, I think that the people who are preparing for the end of the world are nuts, but I am a bit worried that one of these people will go and do something insane and potentially dangerous to themselves and anyone around them.

I am kind of worried about that too. I surely hope I don't have to wake up to hear the news that some crazy suicidal people were so convinced that Dec. 21 was going to be the end of the world that instead of "waiting for the end". Decide to go out with a bang by not only killing themselves but taking out innocent lives on the insane logic of "We're all going to die today anyway, so what's the issue?"

I'm going to end my life with a bang by murdering several people for no apparent reason

Well, in case the world does end, goodbye everyone.

No of course it won't

It's all BS and media attention. That apocalypse shit they predicted in May didn't happen, so the chances of this happening is doubtful.

Anyways, quoting my thoughts on this, a second time, from a thread that was from almost a year ago:

MCS said:
Seriously, that's stupid that people predict an apocalypse just because the Mayan calendar ended.

All the calendars in my house are on the last page. Does that mean it's the end of the world? No. It just means that the years almost over and I need to buy a new goddamn calendar.

To add to this nonsense, this first paragraph of this article practically sums up why this malarkey isn't even going to happen, and that people are simply misinterpreting the calendar.

Nabber said:
THANK YOU. The calendar is a cycle, it can't end.

Yeah, it's not like the whimsical calendar fairy can just go "Oop! I don't feel like doing this shit anymore. 2012's over. Sucks for y'all."

but in all seriousness, yes

Northern Verve said:
Time Turner said:

I am kind of worried about that too. I surely hope I don't have to wake up to hear the news that some crazy suicidal people were so convinced that Dec. 21 was going to be the end of the world that instead of "waiting for the end". Decide to go out with a bang by not only killing themselves but taking out innocent lives on the insane logic of "We're all going to die today anyway, so what's the issue?"
This.

Really, those idiots out there are collecting different dried foods. AND buying pistols.

What the heck America?

I sure hope it doesn't end, since I'm in for big bucks around Christmas time.

don't believe in that rubbish rumour.

If the world was going to end, we'd been feeling Earthquakes, Storms, etc. over the entire planet, months, or even years before 21 December 2012.

YoshiKong said:
You might regret saying that.
not really. If the world does end, there'll be no one around to laugh at him and make him feel like an arse for not believing in the end of the world rumours.

Northern Verve said:

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about too. I'm probably going to stay in my bomb shelter house away from the lunatics.

I am worried about the crazy people who want to go out with a bang. Like GameFreak said, I'm gonna stay in my house, but I think I have a school exam that day.

And I'll be working at one of the most public and busy places in the country that day, until midnight no less. How fun.

Dippy, and where I'll be?
It's a Friday, so I'll be just doing my Homework on that day.
Either that, or I'll just prepare myself for Christmas.

The end of the world rumours are all bullshit. Fact is that there are "End of the World" threats every single month, just some surface more than others. We have approximately 20,000,000,000 years before the world officially ends, and even then that's probably false. No one knows when the world will end, and it's stupid to think that some civilisation that created a calendar millennia ago predicted not only the end of their calendar, but the end of the world as well.

I was watching TV and apparently people by underground bunkers to stay in for doomsday scenarios.

People must be out of their mind.

And besides, we have billions of years until the Sun burns out anyway, so I'm sure we're fine.

And Mayans weren't all-knowing or anything.....

Back