Masahiro Sakurai talks Super Smash Bros. 4

Rad Dudesman

King Bowser
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/07/masahiro-sakurai-talks-super-smash-bros-4

Masahiro Sakurai, the man behind the Super Smash Bros. franchise, has teased what fans can expect from the next entry in the series.

Up until now very little has been revealed about the as-yet-untitled Smash Bros. game planned for Nintendo's Wii U and 3DS, aside from the fact it's being developed by Namco.

“
The game system itself is complete, so we don’t want to make it 3D or introduce complicated controls just for the sake of it.

We've already seen how a number of games plan to integrate the Wii U's GamePad, but we've yet to hear how the fourth instalment of the all-star brawl 'em up will do the same. While Sakurai wasn't ready to reveal everything, he explained to IGN that the company was looking into ways that worked specifically with Wii U's new hardware, explaining "The GameCube controller is not the only way to control Smash Bros., so we will look into ways that fits the Wii U."

Previous entries in the series have offered a fairly robust selection of control schemes, so it makes sense the next game will do the same. But while Sakurai admits the company needs to adapt to incorporate new controller options, he's adamant the rest of the game doesn't need to change to remain fresh. Having had three very successful entries in the franchise, the Project Sora boss feels the series has found its target audience, meaning introducing gimmicks would hinder rather than help the brand.

"The game system itself is complete, so we don’t want to make it 3D or introduce complicated controls just for the sake of it," he said. "However, I am thinking of ways we can introduce a slightly different, fun experience all the while keeping the usual frantic game play."

Quite what this different experience may be is unclear, though we've previously reported rumblings about Tekken cameos, which would certainly shake things up. The chances of this actually coming to pass, though, seem quite remote, especially with Sakurai being unconvinced by the idea.

"I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic. It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros arena," he said. "However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down."

Super Smash Bros. 4 is in development for Wii U and 3DS, with a release expected sometime in 2013.

2013 is much earlier than I expected.

That's surprising. I really hope they don't rush things, though.

2013? Well, that's interesting.

"I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic. It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros arena," he said. "However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down."

That made my heart skip alot almost as if he was saying Snake and Sonic wouldn't return. I'm hoping I'm just overreacting a little bit like I did with Ness before Brawl. But suddenly I'm a little more worried about Sonic returning then I was before this. I'm hoping more non-nintendo characters just means they're keeping Sonic and Snake and just confirming that non-nintendo characters will not takeover (But they'll try to at least add one more)

Northern Verve said:

That made my heart skip alot almost as if he was saying Snake and Sonic wouldn't return. I'm hoping I'm just overreacting a little bit like I did with Ness before Brawl. But suddenly I'm a little more worried about Sonic returning then I was before this. I'm hoping more non-nintendo characters just means they're keeping Sonic and Snake and just confirming that non-nintendo characters will not takeover (But they'll try to at least add one more)
If they're gonna add one, make it Mega Man

Pac-Man makes the most sense, but Megaman is the other most likely third-party character.

They'll delay it. Remember Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Yeah, it got delayed several times.

Baby Luigi said:
They'll delay it.

reggie: "I CAN PROMISE YOU ... YOU WILL SEE SMASH BROS. THIS YEAR. LAUNCHING ON DEC. 2 2007..."

sakurai: *laughs*

it was also supposed to be a wii launch title

2013 doesn't feel rushed at all. We found out they were making a SSB over a year ago, so if it is released in late 2013, then that's well over 2 years of work.

Isn't that about as much time as it took for SSBB? I really can't remember; all I basically remember is that I would spent a lot of time in 2006 playing the teaser trailer over and over, and trying to make up my mind about what game I'm more looking forward to, Twilight Princess of SSBB?

Anyhow, as long as it's good, then time shouldn't be a factor.

I think it's more so the time it took for Melee. I was only a kid then. But wasn't Melee first announced in 1999 and released in 2001?

BMB said:
2013 doesn't feel rushed at all. We found out they were making a SSB over a year ago, so if it is released in late 2013, then that's well over 2 years of work.

nope: sakurai stated they didn't start development until kid icarus uprising was complete. so it's given them much less than a year of development

I'm pretty sure the 2013 date is just bullshit speculation by IGN. Sakurai stated you better be patient and development started just a few months ago (though unfortunately, I have an hard time finding the article where I read that). And if the game wasn't complete enough to be shown at E3 2012, there's very little chance it's going to be finished for the next year.

I'm perfectly fine with waiting until 2014 if necessary - the longer they spend on the game the more likely it is to be good.

Remember how long it was in between Brawl and Melee? And Melee and the original SSB?

Rushed SSB = bad SSB.

I would be perfectly fine if they added Ninten from the Mother series in there.

Back