Legendary Pictures' Godzilla

What did you think of the movie?

• Total voters
Does that spoiler contain spoilers for the movie? Or can I read it without ruining the movie for myself?

It's a spoiler for the greatest moment in the film. Do not click it. You need to experience it in theaters.

Speaking of which, the roar sounds fantastic and powerful coming from those theater speakers.

Anyway, gotta ask. Basically all the reviews say the first hour, with all the human acting, just sucks. Your opinion?

People are hating on it too much. Cranston is damn fantastic. Watanabe's character is also a very interesting character. He gives a lot of the exposition for Godzilla.

One thing to note is that Godzilla's screen time is not as long as I would have liked, especially in the first half. The second half redeems it quite a bit. But like on Jaws, even when you don't see the monster, you feel his presence and he still feels important to the plot. The acting as a whole is not gonna win any oscars, but it sure as hell is better than generic blockbuster shit like Transformers. I found my self caring about what happened to these characters.

Now that a little more people might've seen the movie, here are the best and worst things (Spoilers (duh)):

I am serious do not open the spoiler tags unless you've watched the movie.

-Bryan Cranston
-The Intro and Intro Music
-a Reactor blows up ((not) Fukushima)
-Bryan Cranston
-Bryan Cranston cooking something (Meth)
-Hawaii gets devastated (I hate Hawaii)
-MUTO hatches in Area 51 (or so it seems)
-Atomic Bombs are tasty
-Bryan Cranston
-Two MUTOs kissing each other (hottest scene in the movie)
-After that Godzilla beating the shit out of the two MUTOs while accidentally destroying the entirety of San Francisco
-Godzilla: "IMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR"
-Some minutes later, Godzilla vomits his lazors into the MUTOs throat.
-And Bryan Cranston

-Americans forced some feel-bullshit into the movie like they always do.
-Bryan Cranston dies after about 30 minutes.
-There was a scene missing where Ken Watanabe points at Godzilla while moving his lips out of synch.

I laughed more than I should have. That being said, 8/10 would watch again.

I feel Cranston should've been in the movie more. But from what we got, he gave a great performance. I give it a solid 4/5. Would watch again.

short review: first and last parts of the movie were great, middle sucked. good movie, but could have been a lot better.
But damn, that shot of Godzilla's face as the building is crashing down on him. That was amazing.

Dr. Javelin said:
"could have been a lot better"

hey, that's exactly what i thought of pacific rim
Pacific Rim was better, in my opinion. It has its slow parts, but it's still something you can still watch over and over. And Javelin, I don't know exactly how satisfied you'll be with this movie, but it at least has a reason why the Air Force is so ineffective against the monsters. To some point.

The biggest problem with Godzilla, I suppose, is that it doesn't seem to know where it's going. It spends half of the movie setting up its characters, yet it seems to throw them all away in the second half of the movie in favor of some good old Kaiju fighting. There were probably a total of 5 lines of dialogue in the climax of the movie, and probably exaggerating. In the second half of the movie, the characters are completely irrelevant, and they don't get any kind of character development in the first part, so what's the point?

Another major problem that nothing really happens in the second third of the movie. Essentially we get a series of shots showing us the aftermath of the fights, and that one train scene that doesn't really add anything to the plot. It feels like filler, but not very good filler.

The good parts: the music and the cinematography. Gareth Edwards knows how to do his shots. Some critics have been comparing him to Spielberg in how he films his movie; I haven't seen many Spielberg films so I can't confirm that, but Edwards does a fantastic job with his camera, and the scenes are visually beautiful, especially that climax of the movie. And the music is just perfect, and though it probably won't be nominated for an Oscar since it's in an action movie, I think it probably deserves one [/ernesth100]

I just wish Godzilla had a bigger emphasis on morality, since I hear that's what the first movie was supposed to have. Godzilla is supposed to be very serious, but all we get is that one line from Watanabe's character about how the arrogance of man is thinking nature is in its control. I think he doesn't have any other lines in the movie after that. So the line just feels out of place.

So yeah: Godzilla is good for two hours of fun, but it fails to make a lasting impression.

The whole theater started clapping when Godzilla killed the female MUTO. It was kind of funny. A lot of the scenes in this movie seemed unintentionally funny, such as when the two MUTOs finally meet. Also, when Ford calls his wife's cell phone and it turns out she has an LG G Flex. That's not really intended to be funny, but wow, product placement much?

or maybe i'm just too big of a phone nerd

No-Face said:
Also was it ever explained exactly why
Godzilla was fighting the MUTOs?
The refer to Godzilla as an alpha predator. He's hunting his prey basically.

Godzilla said:
No-Face said:
Also was it ever explained exactly why
Godzilla was fighting the MUTOs?
The refer to Godzilla as an alpha predator. He's hunting his prey basically.
But he doesn't eat them? What's the point of killing prey if you don't eat them.

Didn't Serizawa explain that Godzilla was there to restore balance. With the Mutos destroying everything, Godzilla was nature's way of trying to fix the problem.

Godzilla said:
Didn't Serizawa explain that Godzilla was there to restore balance. With the Mutos destroying everything, Godzilla was nature's way of trying to fix the problem.
Restoring balance sounds very nice but it doesn't make any logical sense.

You're watching a film about a giant radioactive monster and expecting it to make logical sense?

There's a difference between realistic and logical. It's fine for Godzilla to be unrealistic, but is it really too much to ask for some logic?

Back