Legendary Pictures' Godzilla

What did you think of the movie?

• Total voters
How is it not that logical? Humanity created the Mutos with atomic energy. Nature is now cleaning up humanity's failed attempts at playing god, and it does so in the form of Godzilla.

Godzilla said:
How is it not that logical? Humanity created the Mutos with atomic energy. Nature is now cleaning up humanity's failed attempts at playing god, and it does so in the form of Godzilla.
While it's plausable that a creature would develop to be a natural predator of the MUTOs with some suspension of disbelief, creatures don't just naturally rise after eons asleep just to kill two creatures, not eat them, and then go back to sleep.

Nice review, Nabber.

One thing though
No-Face said:
The good parts: the music and the cinematography. Gareth Edwards knows how to do his shots. Some critics have been comparing him to Spielberg in how he films his movie; I haven't seen many Spielberg films so I can't confirm that
wat

remedy this pls

go watch indiana jones, at the very least

Back to what you were saying earlier Nabber.

Hunting does not mean eating. Besides, the Mutos were described as parasites. When Godzilla heard those Mutos, he knew shit was gonna go down. Due to the sheer number of eggs, it's very possible the Mutos would have overtaken the Earth. I don't believe Godzilla would like that.

Dr. Javelin said:
Nice review, Nabber.

One thing though
No-Face said:
The good parts: the music and the cinematography. Gareth Edwards knows how to do his shots. Some critics have been comparing him to Spielberg in how he films his movie; I haven't seen many Spielberg films so I can't confirm that
wat

remedy this pls

go watch indiana jones, at the very least
I've seen Saving Private Ryan and I have Jaws and Minority Report on my to-watch list. He has a lot of major movies that I need to watch, I just haven't gotten around to seeing them yet.
Godzilla said:

Hunting does not mean eating. Besides, the Mutos were described as parasites. When Godzilla heard those Mutos, he knew shit was gonna go down. Due to the sheer number of eggs, it's very possible the Mutos would have overtaken the Earth. I don't believe Godzilla would like that.
But that's not natural. Essentially, that just makes Godzilla a superweapon employed by the humans. Considering Godzilla was in hibernation for whatever reason, I'm pretty sure he could care less whether the MUTOs reproduced or not. Hell, he'd love it, because if he's really their natural predator, he'd wake up in the future with loads of MUTOs to eat. But no, what Godzilla did was a very deliberate attack.

Also, it's explained that the MUTOs eat radiation, but what does Godzilla eat? How does he get all that energy?

EDIT: Also, I've seen Tintin, though I don't remember it well.

holy SHIT did i love that movie...saw midnight premiere. only thing i didnt say i could really like was godzilla's face. his snout was kinda stumpy. plus ford's dad dying early, wtf? i thought he was gonna be more major. battle sequence was awesome, feel like they're making another movie. god that was so good. easily my favorite movie of 2014

Think I've found the first negative review (spoilers)

http://thespazicat.newgrounds.com/news/post/895510

FЯЕ4КШ0ЯГD said:
Think I've found the first negative review (spoilers)

http://thespazicat.newgrounds.com/news/post/895510
i'm pretty sure that's not the first negative review of the movie

I watched it on Saturday with some friends. It was good, but the criticism that the humans are the weak part is spot on - although rather than saying the first hour or the middle part or whatever is bad, I'd just say lose one of the subplots that's dragging through the entire film, and it'd be better.

Specifically, the plot about Ford's family. My guess is that they wanted to be like "oh no, Ford told his wife to wait so if she dies it's like his parents' tragedy all over again", but that'd be cheap even if it was executed well, which is wasn't. The kid's cute enough, but ultimately pointless: Ford's a hero-type good guy and has enough motivation to want to save everyone without his own flesh and blood on the line, and you didn't need a specific kid in the bus for the badass busdriver part: the dude saving a bunch of anonymous kids would've been just as awesome. And as for the wife, my friends and I all agreed that she could've gotten squashed by Godzilla for all we cared: she's an idiot - if giant monsters are attacking your city and you're given the option to escape with your kid, you escape with your kid, not wait for your brave soldier husband to ditch his comrades in the middle of a military emergency that he's clearly entangled with already and come get you.

So yeah, ditch the family and the film would've been much stronger. I thought it was a good twist that Bryan Cranston died so early, and I liked the dread you felt as the military decided that using nukes against nuke-eating monsters was a good idea (you're actually hoping the plan fails - the Muto attacking the train is a twisted relief). And Godzilla's awesome: the best part of the movie, for me, was when he crunched the male Muto into the building: I swear you could see him smirk.

No-Face said:
Godzilla said:

But that's not natural. Essentially, that just makes Godzilla a superweapon employed by the humans. Considering Godzilla was in hibernation for whatever reason, I'm pretty sure he could care less whether the MUTOs reproduced or not. Hell, he'd love it, because if he's really their natural predator, he'd wake up in the future with loads of MUTOs to eat. But no, what Godzilla did was a very deliberate attack.

Also, it's explained that the MUTOs eat radiation, but what does Godzilla eat? How does he get all that energy?
I didn't buy the "nature balances itself out" argument, because that's not how life works: nature doesn't have a plan, it just has organisms taking advantages of food surpluses or getting killed by shortages: you can honestly boil the cycles down to mathematical models, including when things get too out-of-whack and crash.

However, while nature's not sentient, Godzilla totally is. (Hell, even the Muto had enough awareness to realize that puny little Ford was the one who killed her eggs.) He quite deliberately showed up just to kill the Mutos, not because they're his prey (because, as has been pointed out already, he doesn't eat them), but because they're a threat. Remember, the pair of cocoons was found with a Godzilla-type skeleton, and it was mentioned that they were parasites, which are the real top ties of food chains. Godzilla might be a predator to other things, but he doesn't eat these guys, they eat him (so they're parasitoids, really, but I digress), and if two gave him that much of a run for his money, it'd definitely be in his best interest to stop them from reproducing if he could (rather than just resigning himself to hiding out at the bottom of the ocean forever).

In other words, what the scientists were saying made no sense, but what actually happened was totally logical. I'd laugh if that was on purpose, with the scientists being just as clueless as the military...

As for what Godzilla eats, it's radiation like the Mutos, right? Only instead of eating their corpses at the end, maybe when he was lying around, he was absorbing the radiation from them and/or all the crap they ate and/or the giant nuke the humans detonated just offshore. Like how the cocooned male Muto had been absorbing the radiation from the exploded nuclear power plant and made the area habitable again: no one seemed to worry about the fallout from the whatever-gigaton bomb because there was none, because Godzilla filtered it out of the air for them (and once he was recharged, he woke up and swam off). That's my theory, anyway.

Also,
Godzilla said:
*Jurassic Park clip*
Actually, nature didn't find a way: the scientists gave the dinos sex-changing frog DNA and screwed everything up all by themselves.

I agree with most of your points, Walkazo.
Though not about Cranston's character dying early. That would have been fine if they had other good characters and his death served a purpose in the story, but it didn't. (I guess it's supposed to be motivation for Ford to continue his journey or whatever, but they never really bring him up again so it's not clear.)

Also, did anyone else get bugged off by that army guy - I think his name was Stenz? Whenever he talked, his lips didn't move. They always stayed parallel. It was really creepy.

No-Face said:
I agree with most of your points, Walkazo.
Though not about Cranston's character dying early. That would have been fine if they had other good characters and his death served a purpose in the story, but it didn't. (I guess it's supposed to be motivation for Ford to continue his journey or whatever, but they never really bring him up again so it's not clear.)

Also, did anyone else get bugged off by that army guy - I think his name was Stenz? Whenever he talked, his lips didn't move. They always stayed parallel. It was really creepy.
I feel like Cranston's story arc was complete when he died. He wanted to find out what killed his wife and he did.

I just saw the movie, that it was awesome, although that's probably because the only other one I've seen is the 1998 abomination.

The MUTOs reminded me of a mix between Aliens from the Alien series, and Ings from Metroid Prime 2.

My only criticism I can think of at the moment is that there wasn't that much Godzilla screentime as I was anticipating or hoping. It seemed to drone on on Brody too much, in my opinion.

Also, to those who have a lot more Godzilla viewing experience and knowledge than myself, is Godzilla a good guy, a bad guy, an anti-hero, or neutral?

Magolor said:
Also, to those who have a lot more Godzilla viewing experience and knowledge than myself, is Godzilla a good guy, a bad guy, an anti-hero, or neutral?
everyone i talk to is shocked that "godzilla is the good guy???" but as far as i can tell godzilla isn't the villain in most of the movies

Yeah, fuck those guys who poured blood, sweat, tears, millions of dollars into the movie. I should totally not pay them and pirate it instead.

Seriously, that's illegal, dumb, and you're cheating yourself out of a great theater experience.

Godzilla said:
Yeah, fuck those guys who poured blood, sweat, tears, millions of dollars into the movie. I should totally not pay them and pirate it instead.

Seriously, that's illegal, dumb, and you're cheating yourself out of a great theater experience.
well to be fair, the movie already made up its budget

but yeah, for someone who seemed so excited for this movie, pirating it (and in low quality no less) seems kinda...

Back