What's your opinion on Super Mario Galaxy 2?

What's your opinion on Super Mario Galaxy 2?

• I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best game ever.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is excellent and deceives it's praise, I'm not a big fanboy however.

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was good but the original is better.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was good and was a vast improvment over the original.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario Galaxy are ok.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was ok but the original was far better.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was ok but much better than the original.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was poor and could have been better.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was bad and that original was far far much better.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 was terrible and was a complete waste of time.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

NSY

Celestial Guide
Super Mario Galaxy 2 was massively praised but I've been hearing from quite a few users here that Galaxy 2 was a poorly designed game. What is your opinion on this game, do you think it's the best game ever or do you think it's terrible.

My opinion is that Super Mario Galaxy 2 was excellent and very fun to play though, I'm not a big fanboy going around saying "Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best game ever!" and I like lots of other games just as much and are not so highly praised as this.

I've always preferred SMG2 to the original. SMG2 is easily one of my favorite Mario games too.

My opinion was it was good and a vast improvement of the original

SMG2 was overly overrated by critics. I felt like the original was better. I don't like how each galaxy has like one or two stars, and then the rest hidden in the level, a comet mission, or the [awful] green stars. It felt like 30% of it was actual game, and then 70% is just finding the poorly-hidden stars in the actual game. I agree it was fun, and had challenges, but it seemed like it was the beta elements of SMG made into a game.

It was awesome and it was this that made me get the first Galaxy as well. I like it but World S and Cosmic Clones in the Chompworks where out to make my life living death.

I bought both of these at the same time, and I started with the original (still haven't finished it completely). However, I became addicted to Galaxy 2. I think it's a lot more fun than the original, and the Green Stars motivated me to get everything.

Some of the music I didn't like in Galaxy 2 as well such as Peewee Piranha and Sky Station's first theme how it just stops in the middle of the trailer theme. Also the underground areas with Treasure chests and Chance cubes.

BMB said:
SMG2 was overly overrated by critics. I felt like the original was better. I don't like how each galaxy has like one or two stars, and then the rest hidden in the level, a comet mission, or the [awful] green stars. It felt like 30% of it was actual game, and then 70% is just finding the poorly-hidden stars in the actual game. I agree it was fun, and had challenges, but it seemed like it was the beta elements of SMG made into a game.
That sums up a lot of my thoughts. I also feel like it took too much material out of other games, what with the similar first boss, Throwback Galaxy, Boss Blitz Galaxy, Stone Cyclone Galaxy, whatever galaxy the Sunshine level was in. Not to mention that the Boss Blitz galaxy was just a bunch of enemies caught on a couple of planets.

The game was way too linear, and missed a lot of what made the earlier games better. I think the reason a lot of people love SMG2 is Yoshi.

Magikrazy said:
This BitF comic explains my thoughts on it.
2010-07-12-255-ComicReviewGalaxy2.jpg
"First, it looks fabulous."
Well, considering it looks exactly like SMG1, that doesn't mean anything.
"Fly through space with Mario! again."
See above. Plus, this didn't have the flying star, even if you barely used it in the original, it was always there in the observatory.
"The Bawesses are awesome"
Not to mention easy, often similar or even directly taken from other games. Plus, who is going to deny that SMG1's bosses were epic?
"Much better than Mario Sunshine's, which had fights like..."
Not much I can say here, I'm not talking about Sunshine.
"Mario's got some new suits! Cloud suit, Rock suit"
The rock suit was annoying to use and was in maybe four levels. Let's face it, it sucked. And if you got hit once it disappeared.
"The faceship is fun!"
For maybe half a minute until you realize how small it is.
"But... compared to the observatory, there's a lot less exploration."
Case in point. It's tiny.
"But... it's easier to navigate than the observatory."
Boo hoo, we actually have to navigate to get somewhere? SM64 and SMS both had awesome hubs. Sure, they were large, but it didn't take long to get to a level. And it also gave you an excuse to see more of the hub than just the part where the levels were.
"But, Roaslina's been replaced by this guy."
Lubba is a far worse character than Rosalina. Really, Lubba sucks, in my honest opinion.
"Oh hey, Yoshi's back!"
True, Yoshi's awesome.
"Overall, the design has evolved into something very tight and fun, complete with an old-school progression evocative of the good-ol' days."
Really? This is as far from the original games as you can get.

Nabber said:
Magikrazy said:
This BitF comic explains my thoughts on it.
2010-07-12-255-ComicReviewGalaxy2.jpg
"First, it looks fabulous."
Well, considering it looks exactly like SMG1, that doesn't mean anything.
"Fly through space with Mario! again."
See above. Plus, this didn't have the flying star, even if you barely used it in the original, it was always there in the observatory.
"The Bawesses are awesome"
Not to mention easy, often similar or even directly taken from other games. Plus, who is going to deny that SMG1's bosses were epic?
"Much better than Mario Sunshine's, which had fights like..."
Not much I can say here, I'm not talking about Sunshine.
"Mario's got some new suits! Cloud suit, Rock suit"
The rock suit was annoying to use and was in maybe four levels. Let's face it, it sucked. And if you got hit once it disappeared.
"The faceship is fun!"
For maybe half a minute until you realize how small it is.
"But... compared to the observatory, there's a lot less exploration."
Case in point. It's tiny.
"But... it's easier to navigate than the observatory."
Boo hoo, we actually have to navigate to get somewhere? SM64 and SMS both had awesome hubs. Sure, they were large, but it didn't take long to get to a level. And it also gave you an excuse to see more of the hub than just the part where the levels were.
"But, Roaslina's been replaced by this guy."
Lubba is a far worse character than Rosalina. Really, Lubba sucks, in my honest opinion.
"Oh hey, Yoshi's back!"
True, Yoshi's awesome.
"Overall, the design has evolved into something very tight and fun, complete with an old-school progression evocative of the good-ol' days."
Really? This is as far from the original games as you can get.

I just love it how you try to counter what opinions one has on the game. Like implying that they are facts.

But, Baby Mario has basically said what I thought about the game. This game hasn't impressed me, like Super Mario Galaxy. It felt like the same thing. I beat it 100% in 25 hours. I'm not saying it has ONLY terrible moments, but I still voted for the "terrible, the first one was better" option.

Also, Yoshi drives down the ratings, especially with that horrid voice of his. And even though it was bells and whistles and how they glorify Yoshi on the boxart and the instruction booklet, he RARELY APPEARS in the game.

Darn phone; I didn't know this also had a poll. But yeah, not the entire game was bad. In fact, I do recommend to get it. But, it had many things not like the first. Then again, it could be the fact that we were dumped with this sudden game, while the first we knew for a very long time, and had a chance to get excited about it.

It's a great game, but it's way too similar to Galaxy. Miyamoto said about 90% of the game was brand-new, and it's BULLSHIT. New levels, new suits (while getting rid of some of the previous game) and increased difficulty. Aside from that, there's nothing new.

Anser said:
Miyamoto said about 90% of the game was brand-new, and it's BULL*bleep*

He was probably referring 80% of that to Yoshi

Galaxy 2 was much better than the original. Not that the original wasn't great, of course.

I like it better than the original. Even though I think the Galaxy series get's more praise than it needs. I mean, the worlds were either amazing and cool or horrible and hard, or just plain stupid.

New Super Mario said:
I like it better than the original. Even though I think the Galaxy series get's more praise than it needs. I mean, the worlds were either amazing and cool or horrible and hard, or just plain stupid.

I also dislike how linear it is

Baby Luigi said:
New Super Mario said:

I wasn't bothered about that because I love playing around doing long jumps with awesome gravity effects.

I like the original better. I didn't like the idea of Rosalina being replaced by a purple fat Patrick Star-like Luma.

However, Starship Mario was a lame hub.

I still like Lubba though.

Yoshidude99 said:
Baby Luigi said:
New Super Mario said:

I wasn't bothered about that because I love playing around doing long jumps with awesome gravity effects.
What?

Is that what linear means?

I actually preferred the linear design of the galaxy games to the non-linear design of Sunshine/64.

The original was FAR better than the sequel. There's nothing more to say.

First, Galaxy 2's galaxies only had 1-2 "normal" missions, a hidden star (if said galaxy has only 1 mission), a comet (i don't even think some of the galaxies had comments), and two or three green star missions (depending on the galaxy itself). You end up visiting the same planets pretty much every mission because of this and it gets redundant fast. If the green star missions didn't spell half-assedness and redundancy, I don't know what does. The level design itself was nice, yes, but it was too damn linear. SMG2 is supposed to be (or should be, at least) a 3-D platformer, not a 2.5D (NSMB style) platformer. I know SMG had some of these levels, yes, but almost every other galaxy in SMG2 was linear.

Second, the hub was replaced with what, a giant Mario head? People complained about the hub being too big and getting lost easily, which I think is complete bullshit in itself. There really isn't anything fun to do with this hub whatsoever, unlike SM64's, SMS's and SMG's "hub worlds".

Also, the Chimp was a horrible character and his missions were a complete waste of potential boss battles/alternate missions. I wouldn't have cared if the bosses were original or not (i.e. wanting to fight Kingfin in Slimy Spring instead of a shitty Chimp mission, etc). I don't fucking care if I can stomp Goombas and Octoguys 100 times in a row.

Now onto the power-ups. I loved the Cloud Flower and Rock Mushroom power-ups, but the Cloud Flower was beaten to death. I swear, almost every galaxy utilized that power-up one way or another. Two of my favorite power-ups, the Boo Shroom and Spring Shroom (this power-up gets way too much hate, btw) were only used once in the entire game. And what happened to Ice Mario and Flying Mario? Once again, see my above statement about the Chimp in ways these two could've been utilized, even if it was for just one mission.

Nothing much to comment on boss battles. They're just as easy as the original's.

Music is superb for both games.

Now my final point: the final boss battle. This boss battle was the definition of underwhelming. I say it even beats Super Mario Sunshine's Bowser battle for most underwhelming final boss fight in Mario history. I mean, I know the Mario series isn't known for its difficult boss battles, but there was something about SMG's Bowser battle that made it fun. Maybe it's because he actually utilized some of the games mechanics (Stretch plants, the boulder rolling, etc) in the battle instead of using the same fucking technique he used in the previous two. Of course, Bowser went back to his old antics in the final phase of the original's battle, but still. The second phase of SMG2's fight was just depressing as well. You couldn't even listen to like 20 seconds of the nice soundtrack. I honestly think this deserved a third phase (giant Dry Bowser or something).

Overall, both are fun games. However, I think the original deserves the 10 it got (imo), but the second one doesn't deserve a 10. My opinion stands and there is nothing that can be done to change it.

</rant>

Goddamn, that was too long, but I guess that's what happens at 1:30 a.m.

tl;dr version: you should feel bad for not reading my opinions on this game

also, see first sentence

On the other hand, another Super Mario 64 type of game would be nice (connected hub world, connected levels, greater exploration, etc)

Back