Gravity Falls

So when will the second season finally be released? I have already seen nearly every season one episode.

Well, considering the first season is still going and is on it's second hiatus after having already infrequent episodes...

Sylveon said:
Guys this made me think...

341.gif

Shouldn't gravity falls have come to cartoon network?

I kinda have the feeling it should have gone there.

I mean seriously cartoon network is so lost way too much ben 10 that everyone forgot what really matters and the only good thing that comes out is regular show and adventure time.
idk, awesome gif though

So, being a month away from the next episode... it's called "Land Before Swine", which gets me worried for Waddles. Don't know if the others have any positive interpretations of that.

So if you haven't heard, the season finale - in two parts - starts with the upcoming Dreamscapers episode, where Gideon unleashes a demon or something (the triangle man) into Stan's mind and the gang has to go into his memories to stop it.

FINALLY got around to catching up on all the Gravity Falls episodes... so I'm just going to talk about them individually. Please pardon the large amounts of text I'm about to post within the spoilers.

Bottomless Pit
Back when this aired, I was expecting this to be the first episode in which Grunkle Stan finally "caught wise" to the craziness of Gravity Falls... Even though I have my own personal theory about him that says otherwise. Regardless, even though he saw for himself that the "bottomless pit" just has you fall right out the top again, he doesn't believe the stories Dipper, Soos, and Mabel tell, despite experiencing one of them himself. But yeah, as for the stories, out of all of them, Soos's one is my personal favorite. I did like Dipper's one, though I'm getting a little annoyed with Dipper's "coming of age" stories and learning to accept who he is and whatnot. Old Man McGucket made that segment, IMO. The one with the truth-telling teeth, though, it had me curious... Because clearly, there's more to Stan then meets the eye, and yet he didn't reveal anything when he had those teeth. Just really gross, weird stuff. It was still funny, though. Hell, it was all funny! I love this show...

The Deep End
Honestly did not care for this one. The highlights of this episode were that crazy pool lifeguard, Soos's shenanigans, and Stan and Gideon's on-going rivalry. Actually, I want to touch on that a bit; in most of the important confrontations involving Stan's Mystery Shack, typically he has the upper hand, but during situations like this, where it's something minor or whatever, like the stocks scene in Irrational Treasure or the pool bench scenes here, it's Gideon who's making a fool out of Stan. Strange, how that is... But yeah, I didn't care for this episode, for two main reasons: it's yet ANOTHER episode where Dipper tries to "make it work" and be with Wendy, and the main conflict with Mabel trying to get Mermando back out to the sea. The part that I just groaned was where it tried to have Mabel's situation with Mermando teach something to Dipper, and this is where I said "No, this isn't working, you failed." See, Gravity Falls has had some weird morals in past episodes, such as Mabel LITERALLY having to turn into Grunkle Stan to run the Mystery Shack instead of finding a nice middle ground between her way and Stan's way, and the whole "lying for the greater good" thing in Bottomless Pit (seriously, how is making sure Stan doesn't get arrested for the crimes he committed "the greater good"?), but this is the point where it just becomes ridiculous, especially since it's not only being 100% genuine, it's reinforcing something we've already hinted at several times before! In The Time Traveler's Pig" no less! Yeah, Dipper should probably learn not to put his own ultimately futile attempts to win over Wendy over others, but how the Hell is Mabel any better here? Yeah, she's actually trying to HELP Mermando instead of just trying to impress someone, but it feels where that she's portrayed as being in the right despite having an almost identical situation. Not to mention, why the Hell can't Mabel just explain to Dipper why she needs the cooler, and they work together to not only bring Mermando to the lake instead of just being at odds with each other? ...Conflict, I suppose. Thing is, forced conflict, especially when a much easier solution is available, usually isn't that entertaining. I also didn't care much for Mermando, though the face that he's voiced by Matt "Homestar Runner" Chapman is pretty dang awesome.

Carpet Diem
Now this episode I liked, mostly because it hinted more at "Stan not being who he seemed" to those who paid attention. When the discover the hidden room, Stan acts like he never knew about that room, but he picks up and puts away a pair of glasses, which is actually the pair he wore in the past in "The Time Traveler's Pig". He's also seen looking at them at one moment in the episode. Not to mention, when Dipper tells Stan to get rid of it, I knew better then to think he just threw it away! ;) Anyway, as for the episode itself, I can definitely relate to Dipper and Mabel not getting along because of personal differences between what they like, though when the fighting finally stopped, apparently the actual reason they wanted the new room was because Dipper was upset about not spending enough time with Mabel or whatever, which I thought was weird. Here I thought they were genuinely annoyed with each other's quirks and junk; why would Dipper be upset about not spending enough time with someone who, at least until he's 18, spend every waking day with? ...Perhaps yet ANOTHER coming of age story for him? Eh... Regardless, this WAS a funny episode, especially when the body-swapping shenanigans bled out to include Candy, Grenda, Old Man McGucket, Sheriff Blubs, and Deputy Durland! Really, Old Man McGucket just steals the show whenever he shows up, I love that guy!

Boyz Crazy
Since this episode has a subplot involving Dipper and Wendy once again, I didn't like this episode that much. In fact, I think I hated it more then usual, because... well, it was really awkward, and I hate awkward moments, especially ones like what happened in this episode... This also is the episode that pretty much affirms, for me at least, that Wendy is more of a plot device then a character. She's supposed to be one of the main characters and yet she has less screentime then Old Man McGucket, AND any time the focus is on her is when it relates to Dipper wanting to be with her. It's never about her, it's about how she relates to Dipper and how HE develops as a character. Actually, in that regard, I actually liked that episode. Even though, given that Gravity Falls is a weird place, and a mind-control song wouldn't seem that far-fetched, I actually don't think she was under mind control. I think she was genuinely touched by the fact that Robbie wrote a song for her. And the fact that he LIED to her by saying he didn't write the song offended her more then the subliminal messages in the song! And just like that, Dipper picked the WORST possible time to pick up on the rebound. He pretty much burned any future bridges he could form with Wendy... at least for the time being. I'm still of the opinion that it'll never work out between them, but I'm also of the opinion that while she is heart-broken, in time, she might learn to, to put it in a bit of a rude, unsubtle way, "get over it." Hell, if "The Hand that Rocks the Mabel" is anything to go by, she apparently has had a LOT of former boyfriends, including ones she never officially broke up with. I also liked how this was pretty much a bonding experience between Dipper and Stan. Since I like Stan so much, it's nice to see him be nice and show his softer side to Dipper (and Mabel). Speaking of Mabel, the main conflict... is actually okay. I mostly talked about the Dipper/Wedny stuff because that's what weighted most heavily on my mind when I think of this episode, but the stuff with the boy band, hilarious! And Matt Chapman and Alex Hirsch voiced some of the band members, that's just awesome! Also Lance Bass, oh the irony. I also like their manager... Reminds me of the actual guy who formed a lot of the boy bands in the 90's. Only slightly less of a scumbag. Also, I never really though Mabel's "boy crazy" nature was that big a part of her personality, but after watching The Deep End and this, I think it's safe to say, she really is boy crazy.

Land Before Swine
This might just be my new favorite episode. I just don't even know where to start with this one, there are just so many good things about it... It has ALL of my favorite characters promptly featured (Wendy being absent... again. Eh, maybe she's still getting over Robbie), it goes into certain character relationships, it has dinosaurs... well, mostly just a pterodactyl, which isn't really a dinosaur, but whatever. AND it has perhaps the best Stan moment in the entire series! Not only does Stan show he really cares about how his grand-niece things about him and how she feels, once again showing that soft spot that's mostly covered by grouchiness, but he he punches a pterodactyl in the face! Repeatedly! How can that not be awesome! There were just so many funny and awesome moments in this episode, it's hard to list them all! Though this is one thing I will mention: I saw this with my mom a few weeks ago, and she was really taken aback when Old Man McGucket was eaten alive! I was, too, though I knew he'd get out somehow... But apparently, he got out by eating the baby pterodactyl... Ehhh... Well, whatever, super awesome episode with LOTS of funny moments!

Phew, well, that's all. I realize that Dreamscaperers has already been leaked, but I'm going to watch it when it airs... Or rather, I hope I remember to watch it when it airs. Because this feels like the big "wham" episode... I saw a clip from it, where
Gideon summons Bill Cipher, a demon who's image was plastered all over this serious,
and judging from that one clip alone, I feel like this is going to be the big turning point of the series... so far! CAN'T WAIT! :D

SO I SAW WHAT'S PROBABLY A REALLY HUGE SPOILER OR SOMETHING ON MY FRIEND'S TUMBLR AND NOW I'M FREAKING OUT I HAVE TO WATCH THIS FINALE RIGHT NOW

My thoughts on the episode:

I think I might have gotten a BIT too hyped, and assumed too much out of what Bill Cipher would do. Then again, I think it's cool that they set him up and introduced him, but didn't reveal TOO much about him. It's clear he knows about Stan, and he has his own plans, but what those are, we'll have to find out for another time... Although, why did he need Gideon for his plans? He got pretty angry when Gideon called off the deal, so clearly Gideon was an important part of that plan. Or maybe he just doesn't like it when things don't go his way. Either way, he was a cool character, and by the looks of things, we'll definitely be seeing more of him!

Another thing I kind of assumed was that Gideon would have gone in way over his head by getting Bill Cipher involved. I thought Bill would usurp him as an antagonist, but no, Gideon's still the primary antagonist here. Hell, if it weren't for Bill slightly stealing the show, I'd have said this is a huge step for Gideon as the show's "Big Bad". He actually succeeds in destroying the Mystery Shack! ...Although, if he could just blow up the safe with dynamite, one has to wonder why he resorted to summoning a demon to help him... Well, it WAS "plan B" in case this plan didn't work, though one would think that summoning a demon would be a last-resort sort of thing. It's a little confusing, but whatever.

What I really like, though, was how we get a more in-depth look at Stan's backstory, and his relationship with Dipper. I kind of knew there was an ulterior reason for why Stan makes Dipper do all the work, and I also knew that it's not because Stan hates Dipper. One nitpick I felt about how Dipper finds out about this was that, well, Soos heard Stan tell him why he's so harsh on Dipper, so why didn't Soos just explain to Dipper what Stan really meant instead of just saying "not cool"? I guess time was of the essence. Either way, I suppose it was better this way, because Dipper finds out for himself why Stan's like this. AND we got a look into Stan's childhood, and found out he took boxing lessons! And more importantly, here's here that Dipper finds out the key to defeating Bill Cipher... And I especially like how Stan seems to know about how you can do anything inside the mind... Again, hinting once again that he knows more then he's letting on.

Other little moments I liked was when Bill Cipher said that Soos was smarter then he seemed, those two dudes from Mabel's mind, and a look at various points in Stan's past. Things I felt were a little weird include the bat near the beginning (seriously, just what did this bat look like?!) and the fact that Wendy shows up in this episode and yet, ONCE AGAIN, does nothing involving the plot. It's always Dipper, Mabel, and usually Soos doing these kinds of things. With Stan I can understand why he usually doesn't get involved because there's some mystery behind him, but Wendy? Why isn't she accompanying them with these adventures? Well, again, maybe she's still cooling off from her break-up with Robbie.

All-in-all, awesome episode; really annoyed that I have to wait until August 2 to see part 2!

I thought that Gideon used dynamite only after summoning a demon was pretty funny, actually. It does help show how he goes way too big with his plans.

I also thought that Soos didn't tell Dipper about Stan's thoughts because he didn't really know what Dipper was referring to... I mean, Soos didn't have any way of knowing if Stan really hated Dipper or not, and Dipper never mentioned the memory that he saw, so...

And what's the big deal with Wendy? I understand why you don't like episodes that revolve around her, but sheesh, what's wrong with her making a small appearance at the beginning of the episode? You never get this upset with MLP cameos...

Gundam Tanaka said:
I thought that Gideon used dynamite only after summoning a demon was pretty funny, actually. It does help show how he goes way too big with his plans.

I also thought that Soos didn't tell Dipper about Stan's thoughts because he didn't really know what Dipper was referring to... I mean, Soos didn't have any way of knowing if Stan really hated Dipper or not, and Dipper never mentioned the memory that he saw, so...

And what's the big deal with Wendy? I understand why you don't like episodes that revolve around her, but sheesh, what's wrong with her making a small appearance at the beginning of the episode? You never get this upset with MLP cameos...
I'm upset because she's SUPPOSED to be a main character, and yet she's contributing nothing other than being the object of Dipper's affections. Freaking Old Man McGucket has had more screentime then her! I'm just trying to understand why the writers to bother utilizing her more.

You do have a point about Soos not knowing what Dipper's referring to, though, I hadn't thought of that.

I don't know, is Wendy really supposed to be a major character? I always thought of her as a supporting character...

Gundam Tanaka said:
I don't know, is Wendy really supposed to be a major character? I always thought of her as a supporting character...
She's in the opening theme, along with Dipper, Mabel, Stan, and Soos. Sure, she isn't name-dropped like Dipper, Mabel, or Stan, but neither is Soos, and he's been a major player since the beginning.

I have a hunch that Stan is or was a member of some secret lodge dedicated to fighting whatever "rising darkness" Cipher was talking about.

Also, I just hope that Bill is going to be a recurring character. Not only do I like his style (I call Bill Cipher as my next name change) but I also think it would be stupid to have him walk out forever after all the foreshadowing he got throughout the preceding episodes..

We have some footage for Gideon Rises. It seems very very interesting. We see a family member of Soos, his grandma, we see yet another Hand book without a number, a creature/person in a cloak burying one of the books. OHHHH I can't wait for August 2nd

YoshiGo99 said:
We have some footage for Gideon Rises. It seems very very interesting. We see a family member of Soos, his grandma, we see yet another Hand book without a number, a creature/person in a cloak burying one of the books. OHHHH I can't wait for August 2nd
Are you talking about the promo or some other clip? Because this is the promo:

Oh wait, upon searching "Gideon Rises", I saw the clip you were talking bout:

So once again, Wendy is absent during all this. Again, for someone who's featured just as much as Soos was in the opening, if not more, her involvement in the actual show is pretty limited.

Smashgoom202 said:
So once again, Wendy is absent during all this. Again, for someone who's featured just as much as Soos was in the opening, if not more, her involvement in the actual show is pretty limited.

Or is she? Maybe she's the person in the cloak... :shifty:

Phoenix said:
Smashgoom202 said:

Or is she? Maybe she's the person in the cloak... :shifty:
Oh snap, maybe she is! Gravity Falls is full of mystery, I wouldn't put it past them to pull a twist like this!

Back