Gravity Falls

i'm sticking with my matrix theory

Some things I wanted to post...

First, a Nerdist podcast episode, where Alex Hirsch is interviewed, along with J.G. Quintel, creator of Regular Show:

http://www.nerdist.com/2013/07/nerdist-writers-panel-97-jg-quintel-and-alex-hirsch/

I'm surprised to her that not only was Alex Hirsch approached and outright ASKED for a pitch, but that initially he didn't put much thought into Gravity Falls when he pitched it. I think it's also true that the more personal and genuine a series is, the better it's likely to come off.

Not that I think that's guaranteed to happen all the time, but I think it helps.

Secondly, the 2013 San Diego Comic Con Gravity Falls panel:

Something else I noticed while watching the panel...

Whenever someone asks a spoiler-related question, Alex Hirsch breaks out "The World's Most Distracting Object" to distract them long enough to avoid answering it. :P

He uses this with expected questions, like what's behind the vending machine and such, but then something intrigued me. Someone pointed out that certain characters had four fingers while others had five. She phrased it by saying the adults had five while the kids had four, even though there are quite a few adults that had four fingers. Her question was why did Gideon have five fingers while most other kids had four, and just like that, Alex wiped out the World's Most Distracting Object.

I find this interesting because I kind of assumed this was an animation thing. See, in general, most cartoon characters have four fingers to make hands easier to animate. Since some characters have five while others had four, I assumed it was because some characters could be animated with four fingers while others would be better suited to five, depending on the size of their hand compared to the rest of their body. Not to mention, if this were a completely irrelevant question, I don't see why Alex couldn't have just given an on-the-fly answer. After all, he answered a lot of irrelevant question at the panel, such as the El Diablo thing on Stan's car and said we weren't going to get an explanation for the brain creature in the ice box. So why dodge answering this question? I can only conclude that it's because there IS an in-universe reason why certain characters have four fingers while others have five... Maybe it ties into the six-fingered hand on the cover of those books...

Nabber said:
i'm sticking with my matrix theory
If your Matrix theory is true, then I shall eat hat with a bunch of Mario enemies on it. Well anyway, the creators are quite possibly the only people who know anything happening in Gravity Falls. Well, except for the Lord but that is beside the point. I should watch Rise of Gideon though.

Just saw the final season episode.

Well now we know that all three books create some sort of portal and Stan is smarter than we think he is. Just still wondering about who wrote the books and what Bill Cipher's plan was

So I only watched about half of the finale. But I still thought it was capital A Amazing. I was a little miffed by the cliffhanger,but It was still great.

Just saw the season finale and...

Ho... ly crap... Like, I don't even know where to start! So much to talk about... My brain is just too blown away by the ending...

Speaking of which, I can see where Alex Hirsch was coming from, saying he had trouble writing for season 3. Kind of hard to follow up something like that... whatever it was...

Nabber said:
I AM PRCATICALLY SCREAMING OH MY GOD THAT WAS AWESOME
Really?

Okay, I am admittedly just jumping in here because I just happened to watch only that episode, but it didn't seem that amazing to me.

Seems like a fairly funny show though.

Dr. Javelin said:
Nabber said:
I AM PRCATICALLY SCREAMING OH MY GOD THAT WAS AWESOME
Really?

Okay, I am admittedly just jumping in here because I just happened to watch only that episode, but it didn't seem that amazing to me.

Seems like a fairly funny show though.
Well there's your problem; you have to have watched the series from the beginning on order to get why what's going on is important/awesome. Though some things, like the giant Gideon robot seem inherently awesome.

I know it wasn't meant to be, but I like to think that the robot was a Pacific Rim reference with the timing of the airing.

I'm excited for what they said in the credits of the season finale.

What? You mean Stan saying "Gravity Falls will return"? Or do you mean
the message at the end, "5-19-23-6-21-16 18-9-6 4-16-19 22-12-15-10-20-19-25-19", which stands for "SEARCH FOR THE BLINDEYE"? Or perhaps do you mean the message in the book during the end credits which reads "18-5-22-5-18-19 20-8-5 3-9-16-8-5-18-19", or "REVERSE THE CIPHERS"

...Also, just thought I'd bring this up: In an interview on the Nerdist Podcast, which you can listen to here:

http://www.nerdist.com/2013/07/nerdist-writers-panel-97-jg-quintel-and-alex-hirsch/

Alex Hirsch (and J.G. Quintel, who was with him at the time) talk about developing their respective shows. About 20 minutes in, Alex mentions he made a fatal flaw went developing the show: he didn't have enough characters.

He mentions how it's mostly just Dipper and Mabel going on adventures, since Stan isn't allowed to "see the magic", which is why he threw in the character of Soos for good measure (surprisingly enough, Wendy is absent/never mentioned in this discussion). Then at around 22:12, J.G. Quintel mentions he should introduce a new character (he did the same with Regular Show, though he later remarks that he hasn't used him that much, being an Intern and all, and "you don't talk to the Interns"), and THEN Alex says:

"Well we're doing that and in season 2 does do that, but it's hard to do it without it feeling false, you know what I mean; you don't want it to be just 'I'M THE NEW COOL GUY!' and everyone's like 'I don't believe you, coolo'."

...So apparently, judging by this remark, I think it's safe to say season 2 introduces a new character, POSSIBLY a new main character... And yeah, that IS tricky, introducing a character to add to the core case is typically frowned upon by long-time fans of a particular show... Then again, it's only been one season and one year; the show it still, like, in it's earlier stages, not QUITE mid-way through, so you can add new characters at this point.

The question remains, though: who is this new character going to be like? Personally, I'm super excited, because as much as I love Dipper, Mabel, and Soos, it'd be nice to have someone else who's in on the fun, since Stan can't get involved and... apparently nobody even bothers to think that Wendy can join in...

Who's willing to bet that the new character comes from whoever came out of that portal or whatever that Stan set up at the end of Gideon Rises?

Smashgoom202 said:
the message at the end, "5-19-23-6-21-16 18-9-6 4-16-19 22-12-15-10-20-19-25-19", which stands for "SEARCH FOR THE BLINDEYE"? Or perhaps do you mean the message in the book during the end credits which reads "18-5-22-5-18-19 20-8-5 3-9-16-8-5-18-19", or "REVERSE THE CIPHERS"
How the hell did I not figure this out?

I freaking hope it's whatever/whoever it is that rises from the portal-thingy.

Roserade said:
Smashgoom202 said:

Dude, spoilers! Put that last thing in the spoiler box!

And also, I looked those cryptograms and their translations; I cheated, basically.

Smashgoom202 said:
Roserade said:
Smashgoom202 said:

Dude, spoilers! Put that last thing in the spoiler box!

And also, I looked those cryptograms and their translations; I cheated, basically.
Put it in a spoiler.

I knew that Stan would have had one of the books. Also, how come Mabel never put that grappling hook up Gideon's fat arse?
Also, does anybody remember the code that appears for a split second alongside Bill Cypher in the intro? The one that translates to "STAN IS NOT WHAT HE SEEMS?" I think it's scratched out now as I have seen that page throughout the episode. The mystery of that goes even further in the episode "Gideon Rises." Also, I believe there will be some more mysteries as the show runs. I just hope it doesn't depict only one summer with Dipper and Mabel.

Shrek Guy said:
I knew that Stan would have had one of the books. Also, how come Mabel never put that grappling hook up Gideon's fat arse?
Also, does anybody remember the code that appears for a split second alongside Bill Cypher in the intro? The one that translates to "STAN IS NOT WHAT HE SEEMS?" I think it's scratched out now as I have seen that page throughout the episode. The mystery of that goes even further in the episode "Gideon Rises." Also, I believe there will be some more mysteries as the show runs. I just hope it doesn't depict only one summer with Dipper and Mabel.
I sure hope it isn't the same summer too. It could be when Dipper and Mabel are 13 and new facilities are in Gravity Falls. That way, more story lines, more characters, more mysteries.

Roserade said:
Shrek Guy said:
I sure hope it isn't the same summer too. It could be when Dipper and Mabel are 13 and new facilities are in Gravity Falls. That way, more story lines, more characters, more mysteries.

I think that there might be more mysteries coming up. I still hope that the show doesn't end when Dipper and Mabel go home after just one summer with Stan. this show should go on for at least 5 seasons. Also, what are Stan's intentions? I doubt it would be to destroy Dipper and Mabel because he has a picture of them in his secret lair, without an x, dart, or mark on it. Perhaps he wants to be the ruler of Gravity Falls and that's why he wants the power. It seems to me like something he would do.

FYI, Alex Hirsch's original plans for Gravity Falls was to have it be 3 season, and have it over the course of one summer.

Who knows if he'll keep to that if the show somehow extends to more seasons...

As for Stan's intentions...
Notice that when he places the books together, he says "Finally, we have them all." So maybe this isn't a solo thing, and he's actually part of a secret organization... It might be connected to the tattoo on his back, the design of which you can also see in his underground lair:

S1e20_stan%27s_tattoo_design_on_desk.jpg

...BTW, I go to a Gravity Falls forum known as the Mystery Shack! Go ahead and join, and be sure to tell them WaxMatt202 sent ya!

http://mystery-shack.com/

^this should answer some of your questions

http://gravityfalls.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_cryptograms

Smashgoom202 said:
FYI, Alex Hirsch's original plans for Gravity Falls was to have it be 3 season, and have it over the course of one summer.

Who knows if he'll keep to that if the show somehow extends to more seasons...

As for Stan's intentions...
Notice that when he places the books together, he says "Finally, we have them all." So maybe this isn't a solo thing, and he's actually part of a secret organization... It might be connected to the tattoo on his back, the design of which you can also see in his underground lair:

S1e20_stan%27s_tattoo_design_on_desk.jpg

...BTW, I go to a Gravity Falls forum known as the Mystery Shack! Go ahead and join, and be sure to tell them WaxMatt202 sent ya!

http://mystery-shack.com/

So they're going to end Gravity Falls and have crap like Fish Hooks and Good Luck Charlie still running? Maybe the creator will listen to the fans.

Shrek Guy said:
So they're going to end Gravity Falls and have crap like Fish Hooks and Good Luck Charlie still running? Maybe the creator will listen to the fans.
Honestly, if the "they" in question is the show's CREATOR, and he told the story the way he intended to tell it, why prolong it by added anymore bullcrap? Sure, I'd be upset to see an awesome show like Gravity Falls end, but at the same time, I'd be satisfied in knowing Alex Hirsch got to tell the story the way he wanted to tell it. Besides, I've seen people who are sick of Phineas and Ferb getting dragged out the way it is now, and I'd hate to see Gravity Falls go down that route...

Not to mention, the fans really don't know what they want a lot of the time... I mean, once Gravity Falls reaches the end of it's story arc, what else is there to tell?

Nabber said:
^this should answer some of your questions

http://gravityfalls.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_cryptograms

That last cryptogram...

"THE PORTAL WHEN COMPLETED WILL OPEN A GATEWAY TO INFINITE NEW WORLDS AND HERALD A NEW ERA IN MANKIND’S UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE. PLUS, IT WILL PROBABLY GET GIRLS TO START TALKING TO ME FINALLY."

I thought that thing looked like a portal at the end of Gideon Rises. Still, I'm willing to bet this will be a case of "humanity is not ready for this" kind of thing. It DOES make me curious to see what will come out of that portal, though...

Everyone keeps talking about
What will come out of the portal, but I keep thinking that they'll probably go in. I'm thinking some kinda alternate reality or a new universe or something.

Nabber said:
Everyone keeps talking about
What will come out of the portal, but I keep thinking that they'll probably go in. I'm thinking some kinda alternate reality or a new universe or something.
I didn't really think that was a possibility, but then again, Alex Hirsch DID say something will happen at the end of season 1 that made writing for season 2 very difficult, and maybe
going through the portal is that something... I kind of assumed it was Grunkle Stan taking the #3 journal. But then again, the only person who would go through the portal is Stan himself, and I think they want to play up the mystery a bit before they jump into that, both figuratively and literally.

Edit: Check THIS out!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/18800#ixzz2b8fgWryq

GravityFalls_SixStrangeTales.jpg

If you meet forest gnomes disguised as zombies, dig up a mysterious old journal filled with secrets and ciphers, or encounter spooky hijinks at the local condemned convenience store, you've just crossed over into...GRAVITY FALLS, where there's always something peculiar going on! Join 12-year-old twins Dipper and Mabel Pines as they explore the oddest spot on the map.

Shipped off to spend the summer with their gruff Great-Uncle ("Grunkle") Stan - who runs the tacky tourist trap, "Mystery Shack" - the kids uncover mysterious surprises, unsurpassed silliness and supernatural shenanigans lurking around every corner of the deceptively sleepy little town. Packed with over two hours of hilarious adventures, irreverent humor and quirky, unforgettable characters, GRAVITY FALLS: SIX STRANGE TALES is a trippy trip into your family's fun zone!
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has announced an October 15th release date for Gravity Falls - Six Strange Tales. This cartoon stars the voices of Jason Ritter (Parenthood), Kristen Schaal (Adventure Time), Linda Cardellini (ER), and show Executive Producer/writer Alex Hirsch. This disc comes with enclosed bonus items such as the Exclusive Mystery Book: Journal #3, for $19.99 SRP.

Available October 15! :D

Back