Gravity Falls

Yes I know but I grew up with him so I identify Stan with Krabs.

Eh, Stan seems both more amoral and less focused on money.

Also, saw the episode; it was decent, though the last two have been comparatively weak.

Well, I guess Stan did give up those huge checks in the previous episode, which Krabs would never do.

Dang, I'm such a freaking procrastinator, talking about last week's episode a mere hour before the new one premieres... Oh well, better late then never.

I really liked this episode, because it really solidified Gideon as the primary antagonist of the series, and an actual threat to the main characters. Robbie and Pacifica are also antagonists, buy they feel more like real-life, school-going, "slice-of-life" antagonists who I don't really care for in most situations, and even still, they're more specifically antagonistic towards Dipper and Mabel respectively, whereas Gideon is antagonistic not only towards BOTH Dipper and Mabel, but towards Grunkle Stan as well (he says he swore vengence on the entire Pines family, but those guys are the ones he's really after). Even though he doesn't have his powers anymore, he still has a lot of influence over many people, being both rich and "adorable" enough (to the townsfolk, anyway) to get what he wants. His entitlement and being spoiled MIGHT be what turned him down the road of evil, actually... Not to mention, I love that we actually see his mother in this episode, and it's actually very telling how she is around her family, in that it all seems very dysfunctional... Then again, I also find it hilarious that Gideon's dad, Bud, just goes along with what Gideon says and it's cool about everything.

I also find it interesting that, for 11 episodes so far, Grunkle Stan has seen NONE of the supernatural elements that go on in Gravity Falls, including here when Gideon has him cornered, then proceeds to kick him out of the Mystery Shack after he starts laughing uncontrollably thanks for Dipper and Mable. I notice this because he keeps denying anything weird happens in Gravity Falls, yet he seems to have lived there for a long time, so you think he'd at least be aware of it... This, along with the fact that Gideon implies there's something unique/special about the Mystery Shack itself, further hints at Grunkle Stan's secret being that he knows more than he lets on...

Now about Dipper and Mabel in this episode. Upon reflection, I feel that this episode shows just how much more mature Mabel is than Dipper. Some of you might think it strange that the person who wears nacho earrings and obsesses over a pig to be more mature that a clearly intelligent young boy, but really, intelligence has nothing to do with maturity. In fact, I'd say the fact that she's okay with all her strangeness alone speaks volumes about how mature she is. We also get hintings of her maturity when she gives advice to Dipper about what to do about Wendy or how she doesn't mind that Pacifica still think she's weird and stupid, but it really comes through here more than ever. See, Dipper often teases Mabel about how much better he is ay many things, like Checkers, Chess, etc. When she finds out she's actually slightly taller than Dipper, she decides to do what he did to her, which I feel like she's right within her mind to do, seeing as he constantly teases her over other things. Unfortunately, while she's okay with the fact Dipper is better at her in some things (though it does make her sad a little), Dipper can't stand it one bit and immediately uses the crystals he found in in the woods to make him taller so that she'd stop. When Mabel finds out they start fighting, and their continued fighting is what keeps them from fighting back against Gideon, until Dipper finally confronts Mabel on why she's suddenly acting like this... Hearing why she did this... makes Dipper realize he's kind of a jerk and somewhat to blame for all this.

I actually really like this angle. It shows that the supposed smart guy still has a lot of growing up to do while the silly one is more flexible and "wise" (in a sense) compared to him. Also, I believe I read this somewhere but, while they ARE twins, Mabel is slightly older by a few minutes. Not sure if this has anything to do with this, but still.

So, everything else... I found it hilarious that Stan didn't fall for Gideon's trap at the beginning of the episode (instead of signing the contract, he tells Gideon to suck a lemon! XD ). It actually feels like a call-back to Irrational Treasure, wherein Pacifica had Stan write about how awesome she is only for him to write how she stinks. Of course, at the very END of this episode, during the credits, we see that Stan pretty much acts this way towards ANY random award give-away at his doorstep, ironic since he's so greedy.

Also, Soos, not much to say about him, but still, he's just as funny as ever! Not to mention, the parts where Gideon fixes his hair, or when Dipper and Mabel crawl over him, or his weakness being that his ticklish, is all good stuff. STILL love that he's voiced by Thurop van Orman!

OH MY GOD WADDLES IS ADORABLE

Anyway this new villain guy reminds me of Mr. Bobo from Coraline, except creepier.

Oh god Waddles is so going viral.

Anyway I thought that was a really good episode.

skulldug was watching the summerween episode yesterday, and since i wasnt on the computer or video games, i watched it

the one part where the kids were scared off by stans ...uh... was...interesting

Nabber said:
and this was the first time i laughed during a gravity falls episode

a. it was basically implying stans certain part was showing
b. maybe he put undergarments on between scenes?

Nabber said:
whatever it's still an awesome show
what was the point of that

also i am seriously considering watching the other episodes because a few people are comparing it to invader zim

i mean come on look at my avatar

I think the best way to describe it would be a darker, mystery-oriented version of MLP.

That's how I see it at least.

EDIT: Found 8-bit and 16-bit versions of the theme:

Marx said:
SLENDERMAN IS GOING TO BE IN THE GRAVITY FALLS HALLOWEEN SPECIAL

OUR WISHES HAVE BEEN GRANTED

HAIL WADDLES

Oh darn it wasn't Slenderman, it was a cheesy candy monster. :'(

LOVED the new episode (other than the fact that they still keep pushing Dipper's crush on Wendy as a plot point). Best credits ever!

Gummy said:
LOVED the new episode (other than the fact that they still keep pushing Dipper's crush on Wendy as a plot point). Best credits ever!
I have a feeling they'll keep pushing that plotpoint. The only part I don't like is that he keeps lying to try to impress her... often being a real dick to his sister. I guess I take back the part about Dipper's personality being close to mine.

Oh and after seeing the newest episode, in my "Grunkle Stan VS Mabel" favorite character tossup, I'm starting to lean towards Grunkle Stan. I even was able to relate to his personality (as creepy as it sounds) with the way he kept trying to find ways to scare the trick-or-treaters.

I think they'll probably tie up that plot point by the end of the season, but hey, it wasn't too bad this time.

I think it's way early to predict that... it could be a recurring show theme. Or maybe he could have a different crush every season.

Dipper X Grenda OTP

No, you'll have to watch it on TV, but I believe the website has an episode or two up.

Here you go, I see at least one episode here: Disney's Official Website (Filtered shows to Gravity Falls.)

Now you can watch the show online legally! Not that anyone would watch it illegally... heh. Hopefully the episodes rotate somewhat often and hopefully they'll add more than one at a time.

Back