Toad
Koopa Troopa
Boo
Shy Guy
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Rosalina
Petey Piranha

Add King Boo, Dry Bowser, and a Pianta and that would be the best one yet.

That IS perfect.

Honestly, I feel as though Power Tennis has the best roster of any spinoff to date.

Good point; I tend to biased toward a roster if Shy Guy is a playable character, so.

It's hard to think of a perfect roster when there are those who don't agree with your inputs.

Gogeta said:
In that case, how did you feel about the MK7 roster?
Only problems were the lack of Bowser Jr. and Waluigi.

I don't hate the newcomers at all, but it bugs me that Queen Bee and Wiggler got in over those 2.

Just want to say what MK7 roster should've been

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Toad
Wario
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Daisy
Koopa Troopa
Rosalina
Waluigi
Shy Guy
Petey Piranha
Bowser Jr.
Lakitu

Gogeta said:
What would be the perfect spin off roster?
If you mean a good roster is to contain all main characters, the staff must put more than 15~20 playable characters everytime (eg. Olympics).
Even there are big rosters recently, they often put other species or minor choices (including newcomers), so it's very difficult.

In your list, I didn't see Toadette and Dixie (if other DK characters needed).

'3K said:
Honestly, I feel as though Power Tennis has the best roster of any spinoff to date.
I found many main characters are absent in both Tennis GC and 3DS.

Dorayaki said:
'3K said:
I found many main characters are absent in both Tennis GC and 3DS.
Yes, he was referring GameCube version had a lot of great character, and not to illegal characters, however.

EDIT: The main character version of 3DS (other than toad, of course) in addition to those lacking in?

Any roster that decides, "Hey! Let's throw in WarioWare characters!"

Minuette said:
I've got a better one.

Toad
Toad
Toad
Toad
Toad
Toad
Toad
Toad
Toad
Waluigi
Toad
I have an even better one

Bee Mario
Cloud Mario
Ice Mario
Fire Mario
Penguin Mario
Tanooki Mario
Mario Mario
Toad Mario
Metal Mario
Luigi

Much better one here.

Goomba
Grand Goomba
Paragoomba
Spiked Goomba
Gloomba
Hyper Goomba
Jack O' Goomba
Micro Goomba
Goomba King
Red Goomba
Blue Goomba
Toad
Toadette

Always need Toadette in a roster

Mario Kart Double Dash had the best roster.

My perfect roster:
Baby Luigi
Toadette
Baby Mario
Toad
Everyone else that doesn't "deserve" mention

Toad85 said:
Toad
Blue Toad
Yellow Toad
Green Toad
Purple Toad
Toadette
Toadsworth
Toadbert
Chancellor Toad
etc

Yes, that's perfect! ;D

On a more serious note, here is what I think a perfect spin-off roster should be as of now:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Yoshi
Birdo
Toad
Toadette
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Wario
Waluigi
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Koopa Troopa
Dry Bones
Shy Guy
King Boo
Petey Piranha
Rosalina
Miis

This list consists of characters who I believe would satisfy the major Mario fans considering that these characters are among the more popular ones (excluding transformations of various characters sans the major baby characters). Though I do agree that a roster like MK: Double Dash was among one of the better rosters we have gotten so far.

Boidoh said:
This entire topic has been enourmous spam or jokes on the rosters... I mean no one in the world would want all goombas/all toads ect.

About the past 5 posts have been that...
this+is+the+quot+you+don+t+say+quot+face+_d3d47eea8a14bd3a870bef4ef7e56686.jpg

No, but seriously, I don't really have an idea of a 'perfect' roster, just one with atleast one interesting character. Even a Goomba would fit into the interesting category because he's never playable. But that's just what I think.

Propeller Toad said:
On a more serious note, here is what I think a perfect spin-off roster should be as of now:
This list consists of characters who I believe would satisfy the major Mario fans considering that these characters are among the more popular ones (excluding transformations of various characters sans the major baby characters). Though I do agree that a roster like MK: Double Dash was among one of the better rosters we have gotten so far.
Crackin355 said:
No, but seriously, I don't really have an idea of a 'perfect' roster, just one with atleast one interesting character. Even a Goomba would fit into the interesting category because he's never playable. But that's just what I think.
If dealing with the reality that rosters suck are not big, usually some minor characters can't be in every game. And in a perfect (or ideal) roster, the answer is still subjective.

Some subjective parts are:
Subseries: how many characters should be included (all kongs? all babies? other series?), while some characters (Baby Daisy, Syrup, King Rool etc) have rights to complain.
Species: whether we should support a generic KT or Koops, who may not be as famous as King Boo be.
Minor fans' favorite: Petey Piranha or Dry Bowser seem to be recurring for unkown reason while they're not close rivals or friends to Mario members, but they're indeed interesting characters.

I don't think there is a perfect roster, it's just that the staff should make difference to each roster and persuade fans to buy it.

This would be perfect for me (well, perfect would be every Mario character ever, but I'm trying to be sensible), of course it'll never happen, but with Nintendo now using DLC in their games I do think it could allow Mario spin-offs to have much bigger rosters, so a roster this big is a realistic possibility IMO.

Primary Characters (the biggest and most important guys in the franchise, the main posse):

• Mario
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Toad
  • Bowser
  • Yoshi
  • DK
  • Wario

Secondary Characters (not 'main' characters per se but characters who are very established in the series and usually appear in the spin-offs):

• Bowser Jr.
  • Diddy Kong
  • Baby Mario
  • Waluigi
  • Daisy
  • Birdo
  • Rosalina (+ Luma)
  • Toadette (instead of Toadsworth, 2 Toads is enough, she gets the nod since she appeals to female fans)
  • King Boo
  • Petey Piranha

Tertiary Characters (less established characters who rarely/have yet to make a playable appearance in a spin-off, but arguably deserve to be included)

• Kamek
    He's the main villain of the Yoshi series and makes several prominent appearances in other games, probably the most prominent character not to be playable in the series (Party 9 aside).
  • Baby Luigi
    The only other baby prominent enough to be included IMO
  • K. Rool
    The Donkey Kong Country series needs more representation than just Diddy, bar Diddy K. Rool is the most popular and important character in the series, plus he adds more variety than another Kong would, so he should have a place.
  • E. Gadd
    Bar Kamek he's arguably the most prominent and popular character in the series yet to be playable, it's surprising that an omission from Mario Kart DS is the closest he's got to being playable.
  • Shadow Mario
    Technically not it's own character, but he's a better 'alternate Mario' than Metal Mario, and probably more popular
  • Pauline
    An important part of Mario history and with her making a comeback in the Mario vs Donkey Kong series with a new look she'd slot in perfectly. Would be good representation for that series as well as the original Donkey Kong.
  • Fawful
    Too popular a character in too popular a sub-series to be ignored, he'd be perfect in the spin-offs, especially Mario Kart.
  • A Wario Ware character
    The Wario Ware series has grown too big and mainstream not to get represented, any one of the main cast would work in the spin-offs
  • Geno
    It's a long-shot with Squeenix owning the rights to him, but if possible he should appear due to him and his game having a massive fanbase.

Misc Characters (generic species members)

Not really characters, but they're the most established and popular Mario species that don't have a major character as a member (e.g. King Boo to the Boos, Kamek to the Magikoopas, K. Rool to the Kremlins) and have a body that would make them work as a playable character (Goombas may have to be crossed off the list for some spin-offs where dexterity is required)
    • Koopa
    • Goomba
    • Dry Bones
    • Shy Guy
    • Lakitu
    • Pianta
      • Mii

Tatanga said:
Tertiary Characters (less established characters who rarely/have yet to make a playable appearance in a spin-off, but arguably deserve to be included)

• Baby Luigi
    The only other baby prominent enough to be included IMO

Other than not being playable in some of the golf and tennis games that Baby Mario was playable in, I don't consider him tertiary. He most of the time makes it along with Baby Mario. I can't count Mario Tennis Open because not all characters have been revealed yet.

Back