The perfect spin off roster

• Tatanga said:
      This would be perfect for me (well, perfect would be every Mario character ever, but I'm trying to be sensible).
      Primary Characters (the biggest and most important guys in the franchise, the main posse):
      • Yoshi
      • DK
      • Wario
      Secondary Characters (not 'main' characters per se but characters who are very established in the series and usually appear in the spin-offs):
      • Daisy
      • Diddy Kong
      • King Boo
      • Petey Piranha
      Tertiary Characters (less established characters who rarely/have yet to make a playable appearance in a spin-off, but arguably deserve to be included)
      • Shadow Mario
        Technically not it's own character, but he's a better 'alternate Mario' than Metal Mario, and probably more popular
      • Geno
        It's a long-shot with Squeenix owning the rights to him, but if possible he should appear due to him and his game having a massive fanbase.

• I quoted the part to reply.

In major characters, I think it’s decided by how the main story goes and who had been officially protagonists of the Mario mainstream games. Wario and DK are not obviously, while Daisy should have something to do with Peach and Bowser but never appear. In official spinoff rosters, it also has to deal with the number of playable seats.

Some popular interesting bosses we like (King Boo, Petey Piranha) are not clear rival and recurring characters as Bowser does. If the staff can give them more interactions with Mario, it can be more reasonable.

Diddy is included in the part of other subseries characters instead of subcharacters, while other characters (King KRool, Dixie) are also available choices.

Other minor ones:
        Shadow and Metal Mario: these should be color options, as shown in Smash games. Or I believe it is an excuse for the staff to save their time.
        Geno: old notable minor character, but to date there are many RPG partners created in history, Geno isn’t the only choice.
        Besides subseries where Mario isn’t the protagonist, there are also many other characters in Mario spinoff titles (Paper games, club athletes) are considered minor choices.

My order would be perfect for me.

Primary (These characters have always appear in spin-offs, except MTGBA)
*Mario
*Luigi
*Peach
*Toad
*Yoshi
*Bowser
*Wario
*Donkey Kong

Secondary (Some of characters have appeared in spin-off)
*Bowser Jr.
*Waluigi
*Daisy
*Diddy Kong
*King Boo
*Toadette
*Birdo
*Petey Piranha

Tertiary (This area is only happen in one or two things)
*Rosalina (She has only exist in Mario Kart series, but Next Mario Baseball is possible)
*Dixie Kong (She has only exist in Mario Baseball series and Hoops 3-on-3, she is third character in DK series)
*Other Kongs (They have only exist in Mario Baseball series and Kart Wii)
*King K. Rool (He has only exist in Mario Baseball series)
*Other Kremlings (They have only exist in Mario Football and Baseball series)

Boidoh said:
This entire topic has been enourmous spam or jokes on the rosters... I mean no one in the world would want all goombas/all toads ect.

About the past 5 posts have been that...

I don't know about anyone else, but I was actually being serious.

I've always wanted a spin-off game that featured Toad and co. as playable characters.

manasword said:
*Dixie Kong (She has only exist in Mario Baseball series and Hoops 3-on-3, she is third character in DK series)
*Other Kongs (They have only exist in Mario Baseball series and Kart Wii)
*King K. Rool (He has only exist in Mario Baseball series)
*Other Kremlings (They have only exist in Mario Football and Baseball series)
As the previous reply, I think all subseries characters are the same, only judge that whether they're main characters in their own series..
Your quotes are what the staff had done, not a standard guideline that what the staff should do, I think.

The primary, secondary and tertiary categories were based more on the respective character's status in spin-off games than how big a role they've played in the main Mario series and the sub-series. The likes of K. Rool, Kamek and E. Gadd have played much greater roles in the 'real' games than the likes of Toadette and Waluigi, but the former have are never or seldom part of spin-off rosters whereas the latter are regulars. On that basis I think I've ranked all the characters fairly, except probably Baby Luigi who should be secondary, if I were to rank them in terms of the role they play outside the spin-offs then it would be much different. I wouldn't really take that primary, secondary, tertiary thing seriously anyway, I only included it for the sake of presentation - having the characters sorted under separate headlines is much nicer to look at than one giant list.

Tatanga said:
The primary, secondary and tertiary categories were based more on the respective character's status in spin-off games than how big a role they've played in the main Mario series and the sub-series. The likes of K. Rool, Kamek and E. Gadd have played much greater roles in the 'real' games than the likes of Toadette and Waluigi, but the former have are never or seldom part of spin-off rosters whereas the latter are regulars. On that basis I think I've ranked all the characters fairly.
I can see that most your thoughts are rational. I only think that what the staff had done to characters aren't totallty correct. While some fans want other "spinoff regulars" to be in NSMB, only Mario bros, Peach and Bowser are protagonists in the mainstream stories to date.
For subseries, IMO unless the staff devote more to their own games, or it's somewhat difficult to raise their status in Mario spinoffs or Smash games (eg, regarding Syrup, King K Rool and Bowser as equally).

As long as Petey Piranha and Toad is in the roster, I don't really care. I just play the games.

Baby Luigi said:
Mario Kart Double Dash had the best roster.

AMEN.

I don't know, the rosters also depend on the games... You wouldn't want Rosalina in Strikers, or you wouldn't want Goomba in Mario Party, but you would want in in Baseball. It all depends on the game. There are characters who do deserve to be in every game though, which, to me, it would be:

-Mario
-Luigi
-Peach
-Daisy
-Yoshi
-Wario
-Waluigi
-Donkey Kong
-Bowser
-Rosalina (except Strikers).

As long as those (who I like to call The Big 10) get in, I don't care who else gets involved.

Anser said:
Baby Luigi said:

AMEN.

I don't know, the rosters also depend on the games... You wouldn't want Rosalina in Strikers, or you wouldn't want Goomba in Mario Party, but you would want in in Baseball. It all depends on the game. There are characters who do deserve to be in every game though, which, to me, it would be:

-Mario
-Luigi
-Peach
-Daisy
-Yoshi
-Wario
-Waluigi
-Donkey Kong
-Bowser

As long as those (who I like to call The Big 10) get in, I don't care who else gets involved.
Replace Rosalina with Toad

Anser said:
Baby Luigi said:

AMEN.

-Mario
-Luigi
-Peach
-Daisy
-Yoshi
-Wario
-Waluigi
-Donkey Kong
-Bowser

I know it's already been said, but what about Toad? He's been a part of the series since the very beginning and has been a spin-off staple. :(

Gogeta said:

Propeller Toad said:
I know it's already been said, but what about Toad? He's been a part of the series since the very beginning and has been a spin-off staple. :(

I don't want to be rude, but I honestly can't care less about Toad. He could disappear and it would be the same to me =/

Anser said:
Gogeta said:

Propeller Toad said:

I don't want to be rude, but I honestly can't care less about Toad. He could disappear and it would be the same to me =/
I respect your opinion, but I agree with Propeller Toad in that Toad needs some proper representation in these titles.

I don't care about characters much, but Toad is a pretty important character in the series. They should use him more often. Maybe they think he's best as a host character?

Crackin355 said:
I don't care about characters much, but Toad is a pretty important character in the series. They should use him more often. Maybe they think he's best as a host character?
I do care more about that the main Toads are neither hosts nor players in recent games. If Toadsworth can be a regular host, I can't find the reason that Toad is absent.

In the view of Olympics, the staff might think that Toad isn't a strong athlete in Mario world (even though Peach's physical ability never shows in mainstream games).

Anser said:

Same for my opinion with Yoshi. He could just be left to rot and everything would be the same for me.

I'd still put him in spin-off rosters, because, frankly, he cannot be left out.

Baby Luigi said:
Anser said:

Same for my opinion with Yoshi. He could just be left to rot and everything would be the same for me.

I'd still put him in spin-off rosters, because, frankly, he cannot be left out.

:'D That would be kind of funny to watch, hahahahaha. I think that Toad is more of a generic character... Yes, I know that there is the species and THE Toad, and I also know that Yoshis are also a species, but I don't know, Toad is just irrelevant for me. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the character, but it's the same to me if he's present as playable or not.

I think Toad is as generic as Yoshi is. They're both named after their species and they both look exactly alike to their species.

That's what I don't like about them both. At least they could be, uh, a noncomformist you know?

Baby Luigi said:
I think Toad is as generic as Yoshi is. They're both named after their species and they both look exactly alike to their species.

That's what I don't like about them both. At least they could be, uh, a noncomformist you know?

Agreed though sadly it seems that both are just meant to be have generic appearances so they ideally represent their species as well as stand alone as separate characters.

Though I do agree that it would be nice to have some differentiation for them (apart from their species). Perhaps giving Yoshi a bandanna or Toad a cape (though people would probably see them as new individuals as they have become so generic recently).

Propeller Toad said:
Baby Luigi said:

Agreed though sadly it seems that both are just meant to be have generic appearances so they ideally represent their species as well as stand alone as separate characters.

Though I do agree that it would be nice to have some differentiation for them (apart from their species). Perhaps giving Yoshi a bandanna or Toad a cape (though people would probably see them as new individuals as they have become so generic recently).

Like Bandana Waddle Dee in Kirby games.

Crackin355 said:
Propeller Toad said:
Baby Luigi said:

Like Bandana Waddle Dee in Kirby games.

Quite true (he did really differentiate himself in Return to Dreamland).

So far in the case of Yoshi and Toad, it does seem that Nintendo has put some effort into making them less generic (for example Toad (with his red spots and blue vest) is more differentiated in the spin-offs now and same with Yoshi being of the green colour as there is usually no other members with that same colour scheme). SMG2 had Yoshi being the only supposed Yoshi while SM3DL had Toad with that separate colour scheme.

Though some games like the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi make little effort into making them unique from their species (except for Super Paper Mario with Toad's own appearance).

Seriously, the titles need more Toad appearances.

Toad should be playable in M&S:ATOG (Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games).

Snifit said:
Toad should be playable in M&S:ATOG (Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games).

If he's playable along with Cream, that would be perfect

The perfect spin-off roster in my eyes:

- The "Original" 8:
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Toad, Donkey Kong, Bowser, and Koopa Troopa

- The "Supporting" 8:
Wario, Waluigi, Daisy, Birdo, Toadette, Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr., and Paratroopa

- Iconic enemies:
Hammer Bro., Dry Bones, Shy Guy, Lakitu, Wiggler

- Babies:
Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, and no more.

- Well-known, yet underused:
Rosalina, Professor E. Gadd, Ludwig von Koopa (or some other Koopaling), Kamek, Petey Piranha, and/or King Boo

Re-skinned/recolored characters (Metal Mario, Dry Bowser, White Yoshi or whatever) get sent to DLC/QR codes.

Yoshbert said:
The perfect spin-off roster in my eyes:

- The "Original" 8:
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Toad, Donkey Kong, Bowser, and Koopa Troopa

- The "Supporting" 8:
Wario, Waluigi, Daisy, Birdo, Toadette, Diddy Kong, Bowser Jr., and Paratroopa

- Iconic enemies:
Hammer Bro., Dry Bones, Shy Guy, Lakitu, Wiggler

- Babies:
Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, and no more.

- Well-known, yet underused:
Rosalina, Professor E. Gadd, Ludwig von Koopa (or some other Koopaling), Kamek, Petey Piranha, and/or King Boo

Re-skinned/recolored characters (Metal Mario, Dry Bowser, White Yoshi or whatever) get sent to DLC/QR codes.

These guys belong in "Iconic enemies", not the "Original 8" nor "Supporting 8". Wario should be in the original 8.

Back