Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Solar Blaze said:
As far as the "humor" is concerned in this game, I feel as if they were trying too hard and failing miserably. This is especially apparent with Kersti's lines.

Kersti wasn't funny, she was annoying and useless.

Sonicyay2 said:
Is there ANYTHING you like about this game?
I said a few pages back that I've warmed up to it a bit after actually playing it, but at the same time, I still maintain some bias against it, for the reasons I've already explained it. There's no denying the fact that this is the weakest installment in the series, and again, this is coming from someone who not only enjoys Super Paper Mario, but has beaten it several times.

Fawful said:
Kersti wasn't funny[...]
My point exactly.

Sonicyay2 said:
Is it bad if I actually really, REALLY like this game?
Also, has anyone talked about the humour in this game?
thehumourissogoddamngood

I think a few people are still peeved at the changes to care about anything to do with this game.

I thought the humor was good, but I enjoyed the gameplay more than anything.

The problem with the game was the changes that weren't executed well as it should have, which ultimately turned it into a stunnigly mediocre game

But if you like it? More power to you

Sonicyay2 said:

One of its high points is its visuals. They seem more "papery" than the other installments. But that would have been so much better if the rest of the game was as good which it wasn't, imo.

Fawful said:
Sonicyay2 said:

One of its high points is its visuals. They seem more "papery" than the other installments. But that would have been so much better if the rest of the game was as good which it wasn't, imo.

The music is decent as well, but the pretty graphics and the music can't disguise the poorly executed gameplay, which was good on paper (pun intended) if they didn't remove everything else.

The main thing I don't like about this game is how there is a lack of characters and plot.

The 5th boss was one of the worst designed bosses I ever fought as well.

Fine with everything else.

NSY said:
The main thing I don't like about this game is how there is a lack of characters and plot.

The 5th boss was one of the worst designed bosses I ever thought as well.

Fine with everything else.

And the plot and characters are pretty much the beef of the Paper Mario series. Remove that and you get a pretty boring, run-of-the-mill game.

Baby Luigi said:
And the plot and characters are pretty much the beef of the Paper Mario series. Remove that and you get a pretty boring, run-of-the-mill game.
To me, that stuff is just icing on the cake. All that really matters is gameplay, controls, visuals, and music.

Beat said:
Baby Luigi said:
To me, that stuff is just icing on the cake. All that really matters is gameplay, controls, visuals, and music.

Pretty much what aspect of a game is what creates it is up to the player. I place gameplay and controls at the top, plot is probably the one I care about the least (since a story that makes no sense or none doesn't bother me).

But how much someone likes a game is also an opinion, yet there is still a lot of people that try to tell others why they should like or hate a game.

Personally, while Sticker Star isn't great, I really do like the battle system, and the atmosphere of the game is actually pretty good.

Luigi and Bowser got no lines. Although Bowser sorta makes up for it in Dream Team, and Luigi also makes up for it in Dream Team with his comedic moments and Dream's Deep, it's still not the same. Bowser and Luigi have both been known for having great lines in the Paper Mario series (well, at least to me). Them throwing the lines away with the plot is like a giant middle finger to the face.

I agree SS isn't really all that good, but I enjoyed it more than SPM.

HOWEVER!! If someone were to ask me from a gameplay perspective whether I'd rather they expand on SPM's platformer rpg combination or SS's sticker gameplay I'd definitely pick SPM's gameplay because I honestly believe there is potential in an rpg platformer hybrid but it would need to be overhauled from the ground up.

Mcmadness said:
HOWEVER!! If someone were to ask me from a gameplay perspective whether I'd rather they expand on SPM's platformer rpg combination or SS's sticker gameplay I'd definitely pick SPM's gameplay because I honestly believe there is potential in an rpg platformer hybrid but it would need to be overhauled from the ground up.

I always prefer action RPGs over turn-based anyway

honestly I think we need a Mario action RPG but that's just me :P

This game isn't that bad. *shot*

Really. I had fun playing it. However, the bad outweighs the good most of the time.

Positives:
The art style, music, and the battles. The battles are fun, in my opinion. I like collecting and using the thing stickers.

Negatives:
The lack of partners, the boss battles, and Kersti. You NEED partners in a Paper Mario game. It makes it so much more fun. Now, the boss battles. I hate them because you pretty much need the right thing sticker to win, and when you find it you win immediately. And KERSTI. It's like they took Navi and put her in Paper Mario.

MKGuy said:
This game isn't that bad. *shot*

Really. I had fun playing it. However, the bad outweighs the good most of the time.

Agreed, though if you try hard enough you can beat every boss in the game with some forced exceptions.

Apparently for the bosses, if you have the right sticker, you win the whole fight. If you don't, it's total torture.
The only experience I have with this is Bowser Junior, who couldn't be beaten unless I had the Scissor sticker. I tried with as many stickers besides the scissor that I could, but he killed me every single time. The other bosses I couldn't play, because I got lost due to lack of direction and had to give it back to my brother. I just couldn't play it anymore.
My brother, on the other hand, loves Sticker Star. Like, I've shown him Paper Mario 64, I've shown him The Thousand Year Door, I've shown him Super Paper Mario. He said that "they suck comapred to Sticker Star". He also believes that PM:SS is the best in the series and that Kersti is better than all the partners. He's 9 though, so as he gets older he'll probably learn that Kersti sucks and that he should worship the first 3. He'll also probably learn that pushing me into everything at full force isn't the best idea and I might go to the hospital

Princess Rosalina said:
Apparently for the bosses, if you have the right sticker, you win the whole fight. If you don't, it's total torture.
The only experience I have with this is Bowser Junior, who couldn't be beaten unless I had the Scissor sticker. I tried with as many stickers besides the scissor that I could, but he killed me every single time. The other bosses I couldn't play, because I got lost due to lack of direction and had to give it back to my brother. I just couldn't play it anymore.
My brother, on the other hand, loves Sticker Star. Like, I've shown him Paper Mario 64, I've shown him The Thousand Year Door, I've shown him Super Paper Mario. He said that "they suck comapred to Sticker Star". He also believes that PM:SS is the best in the series and that Kersti is better than all the partners. He's 9 though, so as he gets older he'll probably learn that Kersti sucks and that he should worship the first 3. He'll also probably learn that pushing me into everything at full force isn't the best idea and I might go to the hospital

This was painful to read. I feel so sorry for your brother, because he's so wrong. You should take him to therapy or something. He's still too young, though. He might open his eyes as he gets older and wiser.

Anser said:
Princess Rosalina said:

This was painful to read. I feel so sorry for your brother, because he's so wrong. You should take him to therapy or something. He's still too young, though. He might open his eyes as he gets older and wiser.
Maybe if I tell him Luigi is a big part in Super Paper Mario, he'll probably snap out of it. It didn't work 2 years ago, now he's like "lol wut's sapaer papur maeio?"
I'll try this again.

But Luigi isn't that big in Super Paper Mario. Isn't he like the last character you get in that game?

Anser said:
Princess Rosalina said:

'he should worship the first 3.'
'take him to therapy'
'He might open his eyes'

Are we talking about trying to make a 9 year old like what you like simply because you don't agree with him or are we talking about recruiting someone into your cult.

Baby Luigi said:
But Luigi isn't that big in Super Paper Mario. Isn't he like the last character you get in that game?
Yes, but he was still a major part of the plot.

Back