Paper Mario: Sticker Star

People can be too judgmental of something because it's changed.

Sometimes you just gotta give it a go before you hate it for being different <Life lesson folks.

Crackin355 said:
People can be too judgmental of something because it's changed.

Sometimes you just gotta give it a go before you hate it for being different <Life lesson folks.
Yeah, I disliked the Car concept at first in Mario Party 9 but actaully liked it in the end.

Cirdec said:
Pyro said:
There are partners, they just work differently.

Where are they?

[quote author=malleo weiki]
Partners work differently in Sticker Star, only being used one time to solve certain puzzles. The only true partner is Kersti, and partner attacks have been removed entirely in favor of stickers; i.e. Shell Toss has been replaced by a Koopa Shell sticker.
[/quote]

So yeah, I don't count them as partners. It's as if, instead of changing everything wrong with TTYD, they changed everything right with it. The art style is bad, I can already see that. There are set levels like in SPM, so it seems to be more linear. The battle system has no partners, and the sticker element seems useless--why does Mario need a sticker of a Fire Flower instead of just a Fire Flower?

Gummy said:
SoThere are set levels like in SPM, so it seems to be more linear.

I never understood why people complain about linearity in RPGs. I mean, you have to complete the 8 chapters in each Paper Mario game in a specific order anyway. Same thing goes for SMRPG and the Mario and Luigi series. You have to do certain events in a specific order in order to move on. So what's the big deal?

Technically, none of the PM games are non-linear. On a different note, anyone else plan to get this as a digital download?

I still want it. It still looks awesome. Also
Byakuya Togami said:
Technically, none of the PM games are non-linear. On a different note, anyone else plan to get this as a digital download?
No I'll probably get it for christmas.

I'll get it online. Mostly because it's usually a good 30-50% Cheaper. I Haven't really checked Australian In-Store Prices for a while.

Byakuya Togami said:

Given that there are actual levels like in SPM, it's probably more linear than the first two PM games.

And again, they gutted partners and added the seemingly pointless sticker thing (again, why does Mario need a sticker of a Fire Flower when he can use a Fire Flower?). The art style, especially with enemies, is seemingly an effort to make the games look more like the main series (also note that the worlds are based off of NSMB).

Honestly, I see hardly any difference in the art style. using the logic that he could just use a fire flower instead of needing a sticker, in the other games he should've been able to turn into Fire Mario.

Your argument is that he can just use one, but the sticker is the exact same thing. So even if they changed the Flower sticker into a normal item, it doesn't change anything that it does.

Partners were a great thing from the first 2 games, but if you compare it to the first two games, which people loved, your not going to get anywhere. Stop Comparing this to that and give it a shot.

At this point, it just sounds like your completely hating this game because it's trying something new.

Paper Mario TTYD:
PaperGoomba.jpg
Sticker Star:
GoombaPM3DS.PNG

^Honestly, do they look any different?

That's an old design. They changed it to:

File:PMSS07.png

And why even have the sticker concept? Having the entire game revolve around it is not only pointless, but is a huge step down from the plots of PM2 and SPM. And again, why change what isn't wrong? PM2 didn't take anything away from PM; it added on.

Gummy said:
And why even have the sticker concept?

It must have something to do with the plot what with Bowser turning all the items into stickers as part of or a side effect of his prank.

Gummy said:
PM2 didn't take anything away from PM; it added on.

Not true. Parakarry's letters, the dojo, and the lil oinks farm never returned or got a replacement in either sequel.

They have the sticker concept because they trying something new, a thing which a lot of people ask for and then complain once they are given.

PM2 was amazing, so amazing that there's barely anything to add on that won't downgrade it.

Just tell me why you won't actually give it a chance before you hate it entirely because of one thing about it? It's not even a big fucking deal, your just making it out to be.

Damn Nintendo... CAN YOU PLEASE STICK TO THE CLASSIC RPG FORMULA THE FIRST TWO PAPER MARIOS FOLLOWED? THANK YOU.

Crackin355 said:
They have the sticker concept because they trying something new, a thing which a lot of people ask for and then complain once they are given.

PM2 was amazing, so amazing that there's barely anything to add on that won't downgrade it.

Just tell me why you won't actually give it a chance before you hate it entirely because of one thing about it? It's not even a big fucking deal, your just making it out to be.
If I ask for a chocolate apple, don't dip it in caramel instead.

Given that there are actual levels like in SPM, it's probably more linear than the first two PM games.

Lol, the first two Paper Marios are a textbook example of linear RPGs. Chapters have a clear cut progression with ton of mandatory event flags and no alternate paths (and hell, three of TTYD's chapters lock you in until you complete them), there are no choices with any actual consequence, no storyline variations, etc. For all it's fault, all SPM did with the level system was reducing (though not eliminating) backtracking- and lessen the opportunity for more varied NPCs dialogue, though if that means not suffering through another Twilight Town, I can live with that.

If anything, Sticker Star has the potential to be slightly less linear than its predecessors, as the map system could allow you to choose one level to do over another, do a "world" in the order you like, etc-not that the promo material released so far shows any of this.

Glowsquid said:

Lol, the first two Paper Marios are a textbook example of linear RPGs. Chapters have a clear cut progression with ton of mandatory event flags and no alternate paths (and hell, three of TTYD's chapters lock you in until you complete them), there are no choices with any actual consequence, no storyline variations, etc. For all it's fault, all SPM did with the level system was reducing (though not eliminating) backtracking- and lessen the opportunity for more varied NPCs dialogue, though if that means not suffering through another Twilight Town, I can live with that.

If anything, Sticker Star has the potential to be slightly less linear than its predecessors, as the map system could allow you to choose one level to do over another, do a "world" in the order you like, etc-not that the promo material released so far shows any of this.
To me, the map COULD be like Super Mario RPG's map, which I would be perfectly fine with.

Nabber said:
Crackin355 said:

You dont always get what you want, so don't whine about it when you don't.

Your not that special that they're going to do everything you ask, if there's a menu to choose from, you don't order something that is not on it.

Anser said:
Damn Nintendo... CAN YOU PLEASE STICK TO THE CLASSIC RPG FORMULA THE FIRST TWO PAPER MARIOS FOLLOWED? THANK YOU.
You haven't even tried it yet.
New Super Mario said:
Glowsquid said:

To me, the map COULD be like Super Mario RPG's map, which I would be perfectly fine with.
Most of the areas in that game where quite linear.

NSY said:
Anser said:
You haven't even tried it yet.
New Super Mario said:
Glowsquid said:

Most of the areas in that game where quite linear.
There are quite a few areas with free choice though like Rose Way.

Crackin355 said:
Nabber said:
Crackin355 said:

Your not that special that they're going to do everything you ask, if there's a menu to choose from, you don't order something that is not on it.
But the point is that they're supposed to sell games that people want to buy. If there's a popular dish then you don't remove it from the menu.

Nabber said:
Crackin355 said:
Nabber said:
Crackin355 said:

But the point is that they're supposed to sell games that people want to buy. If there's a popular dish then you don't remove it from the menu.

Yeah, the popular dish was PM2, this is a new dish that they're trying out, and if it doesn't work, they'll bring back the old dish.

A restaurant can't only have one thing to choose, there's needs to be some variety.

We need to stop with food metaphors.

Back