Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Aww, Wiggler and H. Queen need more love.

And I don't think the developers need to make 50 tracks just for the sake of Time Trials. I know the roster was made back in April, but still.

Trunks Mario said:
Aww, Wiggler and H. Queen need more love.

And I don't think the developers need to make 50 tracks just for the sake of Time Trials. I know the roster was made back in April, but still.

Yeah my old roster concept is not all that realistic, but it does give you an idea on how to balance the stat spreads better.

A few more unpopular opinions.

-While I do love Daisy's "Hi I'm Daisy!" quote, I only find it annoying if I hear it over and over again.

-Mario Kart 64 hasn't aged that well with me, while Double Dash has still aged well with me.

-Daisy being a "Peach clone" is overstated. By this logic, Luigi's a "Mario clone", Waluigi's a "Wario clone", Toadette's a "Toad clone", Birdo's a "Yoshi clone" (though I do get that Birdo came before Yoshi, but still), Bowser's a "Donkey Kong clone", you get the idea.

-I consider Super Mario 3D World the best main Mario game. Sure Bowser was on his kidnapping cliche in this game, but at least Peach wasn't the one who needed saving.

-I consider Daisy's hair looking like that of Azalea from Mario Golf an homage to Azalea's hairstyle.

-I find Mario Kart Eight Deluxe overrated.

-This is only if I hear the following over and over again, but I find Wario's "I'm-a Wario, I'm-a gonna win!", Luigi's "Oh yeah, Luigi!", Peach's "Oh, did I win?", Waluigi's "Waluigi number-a one!", Toad's strange noises, Bowser's demonic roaring noises, Bowser Junior's bawling noises and Mario's "It's-a me, Mario!" more annoying than Daisy's "Hi I'm Daisy!", but then again, quotes by characters don't affect my opinions on the characters themselves, no matter how annoying the quotes can get.

ArthurEngine said:
-I consider Super Mario 3D World the best main Mario game. Sure Bowser was on his kidnapping cliche in this game, but at least Peach wasn't the one who needed saving.
ok, but what do you like about the game itself? I'd get that people would enjoy 3D World, but is there more you like about the game than just the fact that Peach isn't getting kidnapped? It's your favorite Super Mario title, so I'd imagine there's some other aspects you liked.

Me personally, I'm not a fan. It's a good game and all, but it just falls flat compared to the other 3D Mario titles. The levels feel big and empty, the camera is pulled too far back, and the new Cat Suit they show off a lot was fun at first, but got kinda old pretty fast. I also didn't like the bosses, but since when have the bosses ever been a high point in a Mario game?

Magikrazy said:
ArthurEngine said:
ok, but what do you like about the game itself? I'd get that people would enjoy 3D World, but is there more you like about the game than just the fact that Peach isn't getting kidnapped? It's your favorite Super Mario title, so I'd imagine there's some other aspects you liked.

Me personally, I'm not a fan. It's a good game and all, but it just falls flat compared to the other 3D Mario titles. The levels feel big and empty, the camera is pulled too far back, and the new Cat Suit they show off a lot was fun at first, but got kinda old pretty fast. I also didn't like the bosses, but since when have the bosses ever been a high point in a Mario game?

I do like the unique costumes, I do like Bowser's fancy car, I do like how it's not just Mario, Luigi and Toad you can choose between, kind of like Super Mario Brothers 2, and I like the Capt'n Toad aspect it includes that leads to the prequel Capt'n Toad Treasure Tracker.

It (and 3D Land to an extent) also had more unique level tropes than the usual Grasslands, Desert, etc. Stuff like Hands-On Hall, the mountain/pass levels Bowser Land aesthetics, the Mario Kart level, bringing back tanks and adding trains to the mix, etc.
Why can't they do that with the "New" series?

ThatGuy62 said:
It (and 3D Land to an extent) also had more unique level tropes than the usual Grasslands, Desert, etc. Stuff like Hands-On Hall, the mountain/pass levels Bowser Land aesthetics, the Mario Kart level, bringing back tanks and adding trains to the mix, etc.

My best guess is that most 2D Super Mario titles try to make sure that their courses match the world style that they're located in. For an example, a desert world has to contain courses with a desert theme. Whereas, in 3D Land and 3D World, the courses in those games are just all over the place.

ArthurEngine said:
A few more unpopular opinions.

-While I do love Daisy's "Hi I'm Daisy!" quote, I only find it annoying if I hear it over and over again.

-Mario Kart 64 hasn't aged that well with me, while Double Dash has still aged well with me.

-Daisy being a "Peach clone" is overstated. By this logic, Luigi's a "Mario clone", Waluigi's a "Wario clone", Toadette's a "Toad clone", Birdo's a "Yoshi clone" (though I do get that Birdo came before Yoshi, but still), Bowser's a "Donkey Kong clone", you get the idea.

-I consider Daisy's hair looking like that of Azalea from Mario Golf an homage to Azalea's hairstyle.

-I find Mario Kart Eight Deluxe overrated.

-This is only if I hear the following over and over again, but I find Wario's "I'm-a Wario, I'm-a gonna win!", Luigi's "Oh yeah, Luigi!", Peach's "Oh, did I win?", Waluigi's "Waluigi number-a one!", Toad's strange noises, Bowser's demonic roaring noises, Bowser Junior's bawling noises and Mario's "It's-a me, Mario!" more annoying than Daisy's "Hi I'm Daisy!", but then again, quotes by characters don't affect my opinions on the characters themselves, no matter how annoying the quotes can get.

I really don't get why there's so much stuff about Daisy, especially when Daisy isn't even the most underrated character in the Mario franchise; she still has a stable fanbase, so I wouldn't say these are necessarily that unpopular of opinions, but who am I to judge?

Although I can certainly agree that Mario Kart 8 DX is overrated, and if anything I feel like Mario Kart is becoming less Mario Kart and more of Super Smash Bros.: Racing Edition.

I've also never heard somebody ever say that Daisy was a Peach clone, and I've run into quite a few people that hate Daisy, so that's a pretty new thing to hear about, especially when the "EW MARIO CLONE CHARACTER" thing was phased out by the time Waluigi began to ascend into popularity. I mean, it hasn't fully died off with Pink Gold Peach's introduction, but still.

It's actually kind of weird that you mention Waluigi in comparison to all of those other characters though, because he was in the same boat as Daisy in this case, while all the other characters were typically given more credit.

But I really don't get the last part. I've never found any of those at least close to annoying, especially when things like Bowser's demonic roaring are literally the only way the character speaks and given that's pretty much almost every other main Mario character other than Daisy, that sounds like a really low blow in an attempt to defend Daisy, when she really doesn't need it.

If anything, I think that finding Daisy's voice annoying is more reasonable than finding virtually every character that isn't Daisy's annoying, and I'm not really even annoyed by Daisy to beginwith (if anything I find the "Hi I'm Daisy" quote more funny than annoying).

Also, technically, wouldn't anyone find a character's voice annoying if they heard the same clip over and over again?

MnSG said:
ThatGuy62 said:

My best guess is that most 2D Super Mario titles try to make sure that their courses match the world style that they're located in. For an example, a desert world has to contain courses with a desert theme. Whereas, in 3D Land and 3D World, the courses in those games are just all over the place.

The problem is that both sub-series have the opposite problems: NSMB reuses the same level tropes and even most of the music. It took until NSMBU for Nintendo to at least repaint the worlds to look more different.

Meanwhile, 3D Land and 3D World have all these neat level tropes like circuses, clock towers, etc... but they'll only be used in 2 levels tops and they'll placed somewhere randomly instead of grouped together.

ThatGuy62 said:
The problem is that both sub-series have the opposite problems: NSMB reuses the same level tropes and even most of the music. It took until NSMBU for Nintendo to at least repaint the worlds to look more different.

Meanwhile, 3D Land and 3D World have all these neat level tropes like circuses, clock towers, etc... but they'll only be used in 2 levels tops and they'll placed somewhere randomly instead of grouped together.

Yeah, even the newest Donkey Kong Country games utilize a specific theme for each world. For example, in Tropical Freeze, the levels in the third world focus on an African theme, which can range from the residents (such as the Buffaloafer, which is based on the African Buffalo) and even natural disasters (such as wildfires).

To be honest, they could still find a way to group all the levels into a single world. I'm not sure about things like Clocktower levels, for instance, but stuff like Circus-themed worlds would still be possible (and World Bowser is technically that to beginwith) and I would prefer the New series to actually try something like this.

Actually, I would prefer the entire New series as a whole to try and experiment with new things to shake up the gameplay. It's not like Super Mario Bros. 3 was just Super Mario Bros. but with new powerups and enemies thrown in. Not to say that the New series is exactly like that, but it might as well be.

Although I never really legitimately played a New Super Mario Bros. game (I guess you could say I technically have via Super Mario Maker) it would still help to repair the series' reputation of what is basically just New Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo DS ported three times in a row, but that's only if they do decide to make a New Super Mario Bros. game for the Switch, and I'm starting to have my doubts about the series continuing.

Edit: Nevermind, looking at New Super Mario Bros. U again, the series probably already does enough experimentation when it comes to world design. Still, I wouldn't mind the trains and tanks returning.

TheCapeLuigi said:
To be honest, they could still find a way to group all the levels into a single world. I'm not sure about things like Clocktower levels, for instance, but stuff like Circus-themed worlds would still be possible (and World Bowser is technically that to beginwith) and I would prefer the New series to actually try something like this.

Actually, I would prefer the entire New series as a whole to try and experiment with new things to shake up the gameplay. It's not like Super Mario Bros. 3 was just Super Mario Bros. but with new powerups and enemies thrown in. Not to say that the New series is exactly like that, but it might as well be.

Although I never really legitimately played a New Super Mario Bros. game (I guess you could say I technically have via Super Mario Maker) it would still help to repair the series' reputation of what is basically just New Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo DS ported three times in a row, but that's only if they do decide to make a New Super Mario Bros. game for the Switch, and I'm starting to have my doubts about the series continuing.

Edit: Nevermind, looking at New Super Mario Bros. U again, the series probably already does enough experimentation when it comes to world design. Still, I wouldn't mind the trains and tanks returning.

The New series got progressively less new between each jump. DS to Wii was a significant jump, Wii to 2 was very much not. New Super Mario Bros U was actually the first in the New series to really change the world design: 2 was mostly based off of Wii with a few exceptions and Wii is in an odd spot when you compare it to DS (such World 8 being pretty different aesthetics and even theme-wise to an extent).

The first game was basically the Sonic Advance of the series (i.e. a throwback game with a few elements of modern games thrown in) and Wii helped that feeling even more by adding new powerups, four player and even bringing back the Koopalings. But it kinda plateaued after that with U being an improvement, but nowhere near on the same scale.

If you look at the airship courses of Mario Kart Arcade GP DX you'll see that even the first world of NSMBU actually had an interesting art direction, with those mountain really standing out among the airships. In general, you could see that with NSMBU they strated caring about art direction - the desert with the canyon and the cake in background was noticeable, the water world had some high isles with jungle vegetation, there was that Van Gogh course. And there was a notable original character: Nabbit!

But yeah, it was probably too late for a series that from a gameplay point of view said most of what it could say with NSMBW. NSLU sold as standalone game probably killed the series from a reputation and actual demand point of view.

Funnily enough, New Super Mario Bros. U was released five years ago, but you don't read many comments around asking for a new chapter in the series...

Also, another unpopular opinion: I think that Super Mario Galaxy too has said most of what it could say with the first game. The second had Yoshi but the gameplay was more like the one of the Super Mario 3D games. I don't think a Super Mario Galaxy 3 would be a wise choice, unless they change the gameplay so much that at this point it's just a different game with "Super Mario Galaxy" being a sticker on it. Or you know, they could make a Super Mario Odyssey in space featuring Rosalina, Pauline, Bowser Jr., the Broodals, the Dino Piranhas, Tatanga, T-Rexes, Yoshi and Glydon and Plessie even if nobody cares about it, it would be an incredibly smart move that saves much brainstorming for actually new ideas™ and makes "everyone" happy ;)

Well, Galaxy 2 started off as Galaxy 1.5 and was supposed to be an expansion pack consisting of ideas they didn't get to use.
Ironically enough, there's still unused stuff like the Starman Fort in the data for both games.

Having loads of non-Mario characters isn't bad in Mario Kart. At the end of the day, even roster filler characters, while utterly pointless, aren't that bad. For me, the main hooks of Mario Kart are the fun gameplay and the cool-looking tracks. Characters less so.

Mister Wu said:
Funnily enough, New Super Mario Bros. U was released five years ago, but you don't read many comments around asking for a new chapter in the series...
I'm glad the series took a break, since it deserved one. I'd like more New Super Mario Bros. Wii-like games though, since New Super Mario Bros. Wii DID sell the most of all Mario platformers I believe.

Considering Super Mario World SMB4, and NSMB its own thing, I want Super Mario Bros. 5 with a 2D sprite style. That's not unpopular I don't think, but it's my response for discussion of the next 2D Mario.

it's in 2D style, it better be this

372px-Artwork_-_MARIO-PIRANHA_PLANT-BUZZY_BEETLE.svg.png

or this

WLStory2.png

though I'm open to other new styles too

Trunks Mario said:
I'd like more New Super Mario Bros. Wii-like games though, since New Super Mario Bros. Wii DID sell the most of all Mario platformers I believe.
In what way? New Super Mario Bros. 2 is too NSMBW-like as we all know, but I'm sure that's not what you mean.

The Once-ler said:
Considering Super Mario World SMB4, and NSMB its own thing, I want Super Mario Bros. 5 with a 2D sprite style. That's not unpopular I don't think, but it's my response for discussion of the next 2D Mario.

Well, the difference was, Super Mario World isn't even directly called Super Mario Bros. 4, it's only a subtitle which I believe isn't used in the US version, and Super Mario World 2 cut it out altogether if you'd like to consider that World's sequel.

Also, I really don't think a Super Mario Bros. 5 is needed, not only because you couldn't name it Super Mario Bros. 5 because it'd cause confusion, but because there's really no point in having it since we already have the New series, which if anything is pretty much a continuation of the classic Mario games.

Even if you think the New series is series is separate from the classics, I just don't think SMB5 is really something that's needed, and besides, you could technically call SMW2 SMB5, despite it being a Yoshi game.

The idea of Nintendo making a full-on pixel-based nostalgia-pandering game doesn't sit well with me, and it pretty much just sounds like Mario Mania, really.

Personally, I JUST WANT MORE MARIO 2D PLATFORMERS PLEASE

TheCapeLuigi said:
The Once-ler said:
Well, the difference was, Super Mario World isn't even directly called Super Mario Bros. 4, it's only a subtitle which I believe isn't used in the US version, and Super Mario World 2 cut it out altogether if you'd like to consider that World's sequel.
I think here you are confusing things a little. Super Mario World in Japan is known as Super Mario Bros. 4:
SMW_Logo_JP.png

This name also appeared in official material which was based on Super Mario World:
SMSQPB4_Front_Cover.png

The name "Mario 4" (short for "Super Mario Bros. 4") was even used in books written in collaboration with Nintendo:
SMCE_pages_18_19.png

In Japan Yoshi's Island is known as "Super Mario: Yoshi's Island"
YossyIsland_JP_cover.jpg

(スーパーマリオ is "Super Mario", while ヨッシーアイランド is the "modern" name of Yoshi's Island, not the one of SMW)
what was done in the US with naming has little to do with what Nintendo Co., Ltd. actually did. Super Mario Bros. 4 exists and it's also known as Super Mario World, whereas Super Mario World 2 never existed in Japan.

Mister Wu said:
what was done in the US with naming has little to do with what Nintendo Co., Ltd. actually did. Super Mario Bros. 4 exists and it's also known as Super Mario World, whereas Super Mario World 2 never existed in Japan.

Thank you for correcting me, I thought that the "Super Mario Bros. 4" title was unused in all regions, but I guess not. Either way, I really don't think making a "Super Mario Bros. 5" would be a good idea, it just feels jarring when you put that against the New Super Mario Bros. series, which would end up both being a revival of the original Super Mario Bros. games, which just feels a little pointless. There's really no reason to have two new Super Mario Bros. games.

Super Mario Bros. 5 is, I think, New Super Mario Bros. DS.

Back