Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Since Mario Kart 64 stuck with the Pipe Frame kart for everyone, I imagine that it would indeed be more polygonal since its 3D design commands more surfaces, compared to the simpler car, plane or boat designs in Diddy Kong Racing. You have to remember that the other Mario games for the N64 only have the character themselves, and if they have items, they have less polygons overall (example: tennis racket, golf club). Another thing to note is that Mario Kart DS doesn't have a Pipe Frame kart. I think it's one of the factors that prevent it from being full 3D for the time being.

Thanks for reading.

This might as well be changed to "Unpopular opinions about the Mario Kart series"
I think the point score on the top of the screen in Mario games makes the game somehow look more cluttered and ugly. That's one of the reasons I like 3D Land, another being that the graphics don't look like *bleep* for the 3DS (those character models in MK7). By the way, I don't HATE 7, if I'm giving that impression. I just think 8 is infinitely superior.

Lumastar said:
It would likely look like a downgraded DS.
I'd still argue that

these N64 renders
Mt64mario.png
Mt64dk.png
Wizard_DonkeyKong_MP2.png

MP2_Mario.png

are miles better than

the respective Mario Kart DS renders
Mario_MKDS.png
DonkeyKong_MKDS.png

I wouldn't mind having a Mario platformer that adds nothing new if it means fixing all the irritating things that make me hate them (lives system, points system. SM3D Land was a step in the right direction.)

To that end, Mario platformers right now are far outclassed by Kirby, Donkey Kong, Rayman, Shovel Knight...

winstein said:
Since Mario Kart 64 stuck with the Pipe Frame kart for everyone, I imagine that it would indeed be more polygonal since its 3D design commands more surfaces, compared to the simpler car, plane or boat designs in Diddy Kong Racing. You have to remember that the other Mario games for the N64 only have the character themselves, and if they have items, they have less polygons overall (example: tennis racket, golf club). Another thing to note is that Mario Kart DS doesn't have a Pipe Frame kart. I think it's one of the factors that prevent it from being full 3D for the time being.

Thanks for reading.

...so?

The pipe frame isn't miles more complex than any other model. Hell I think the Pipe Frame isn't in DS because they haven't thought about returning it yet, which explains why Mario Kart Wii doesn't have a pipe frame model.

Unpopular opinion: Super Mario Kart was terrible because:
  • It is impossible to really see where you're going because everything is so flat
  • It's unfair because CPUs get really OP powerups that zoom them to first while you don't get any

i also think its terrible, but just because of the lack of proper control over your kart and track design.

rainbow road is bae though <3

Princess Luna said:
Unpopular opinion: Super Mario Kart was terrible because:
  • It is impossible to really see where you're going because everything is so flat
  • It's unfair because CPUs get really OP powerups that zoom them to first while you don't get any

I think those powerups should have worked like Double Dash, where they are a characters special item and you could get it too.

I wouldn't call Super Mario Kart a terrible game, I'd call it "deterioration" or as by popular jargon, "aging"

Giga12 said:
I wouldn't mind having a Mario platformer that adds nothing new if it means fixing all the irritating things that make me hate them (lives system, points system. SM3D Land was a step in the right direction.)

To that end, Mario platformers right now are far outclassed by Kirby, Donkey Kong, Rayman, Shovel Knight...
As I said a fair amount of times, Mario platformers just need more combat to it. All those games mentioned have a fair share of more combat options.

Giga12 said:

I agree. I'd love to see Retro Studio's take on Mario.

Mario Party Σ said:
Lumastar said:
It would likely look like a downgraded DS.
I'd still argue that

these N64 renders
Mt64mario.png
Mt64dk.png
Wizard_DonkeyKong_MP2.png

MP2_Mario.png

are miles better than

the respective Mario Kart DS renders
Mario_MKDS.png
DonkeyKong_MKDS.png
Still, those were toward the latter half of the N64 life cycle. I would like to be wrong, but we will never know how it would have really looked.

I support Mario platformers regaining more advanced combat. Heck, I would love for it to be expanded upon. Special combos, permanent power-up upgrades, and (assuming the next game has multiple characters) unique fighting styles from character to character.

That sounds fun, I've always sorta liked the Lego Star Wars games

I actually like the simplistic story of the Mario games, as opposed to an overly convoluted plot of games like RPGs (not saying all RPG stories are bad, most of them are actually pretty good). That way, if you don't play for a while, you won't forget some minor detail that's super important to the plot.

Even so, the Mario RPGs don't even have THAT much of a convoluted plot. It's still pretty straightforward imo, with only a very few twists. Trust me, I've played RPGs with a far deeper emphasis on the plot than the Mario RPGs.

Magikrazy said:
I always use Geno and Peach, so idek.

this

i never change my team after i get peach

bowser isnt bad but i dont need 2 physical attackers in my rpg team and no healer (because no matter what you do, going without geno is crazy)

mallow is an ok healer but he loses to peach so eh

on a sidenote, i think next time i play through smrpg ill just use mallow and bowser and see where that leads to. it should be pretty similar to the mario, geno, peach party, except for more grinding

Baby Luigi said:
Even so, the Mario RPGs don't even have THAT much of a convoluted plot. It's still pretty straightforward imo, with only a very few twists. Trust me, I've played RPGs with a far deeper emphasis on the plot than the Mario RPGs.
I was referring to RPGs in general. Mario RPGs are generally OK.

Yeah I can kinda understand that, but typically, if I start playing an RPG like that again, I slowly remember the details

As much as I love Waluigi, I don't think he needs his own game. I agree that he definitely needs more recognition, but I'd rather him have a significant role in in a Wario Land or WarioWare game.

Armored Armadillo said:
As much as I love Waluigi, I don't think he needs his own game. I agree that he definitely needs more recognition, but I'd rather him have a significant role in in a Wario Land or WarioWare game.

Basically my opinion. I'm seriously surpised he hasn't appeared in a Wario game.

Back