Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

I guess I might as well throw this one out there. I'm one of the very few people who isn't the least bit excited about Mario Kart 8.

Sigma said:
I guess I might as well throw this one out there. I'm one of the very few people who isn't the least bit excited about Mario Kart 8.

Why? Is it because of the character roster and the character roster alone or you just don't like Mario Kart?

Sigma said:
Same here.

Baby Luigi said:
Why? Is it because of the character roster and the character roster alone or you just don't like Mario Kart?
Not necessarily. At one point, the Mario Kart series was one of the very few spin-offs that I actually liked; at least to the point of being willing to spend my own money on it. It wasn't until I played Mario Kart Wii that I lost interest in the series. Then there was Mario Kart 7, which hardly brought anything new to the table, and now there's Mario Kart 8, which also doesn't seem like anything special. Basically, in a nutshell, it gives me a "been there, done that" type of vibe.

"hardly anything new"?

Gliders
Underwater swimming
Customizable karts
4 brand new characters
That gyro thing nobody uses

What do you want, man?

Magikrazy said:
"hardly anything new"?

Gliders
Underwater swimming
Customizable karts
4 brand new characters
That gyro thing nobody uses

What do you want, man?

Pretty sure these aren't like, a gameplay changing thing. It spices things up a bit yes but it doesn't change the core formula. I don't think Mario Kart really is for Solar Blaze though, since the small spicy change is all that is needed for me to keep the series fresh

It's not fair to call out Mario Kart for introducing hardly any new things since Mario Kart is one of those games that don't need as much change as a Mario platformer. They are multiplayer games designed around replay value, so you can't compare it to say, Mario platformers, and say, "Oh, why the flack for New Super Mario Bros. rehashes when Mario Kart does the same?".

While we're on the subject of Mario Kart.

- Courses are more important then Characters

- Mario Kart 64 may have not aged well, but I still think it's one of the overall better games of the series for the sheer nostalgic charm, selection of courses, soundtrack, fair items, and the impact it's had on the Mario Kart series. I get the sense Nintendo knows MK64 is that nostalgic for many longtime fans as they've had more references to MK64 in Mario Kart 7 & 8 more so then the previous games did. Not just in the retro tracks and their remixes (Cause otherwise previous games also did that), but also including the Pipe Frame (I know technically the Pipe frame debuted in the very first Mario Kart, but I still attribute it more to Mario Kart 64 anyway), and also removing the wings from the Blue Shell to make it capable of traveling on the ground like it did in MK64 (Until it got to the first player anyway). I acknowledge the game's flaws, with the heavy rubberbanding A.I. even for Mario Kart standards, the controls can be awkward and/or slippery, and while I love N64's Rainbow Road I understand it could be boring and/or way too long for some (Thankfully, Mario Kart 8 will remaster N64 Rainbow Road to be alot more enjoyable. Considering I already enjoyed MK64's Rainbow Road. It will be extra special for me :) ). But I just can't help but love the game for the times I've had growing up playing the game with my dad. Or messing around in Battle Mode with my Brother that no other Mario Kart game since then have given me the same type of joy. I think Mario Kart 8 could finally make me say without a doubt that game could be the best in the series. But Mario Kart 64 will always have a special place in my heart ^^

the rubberbanding make the game feel broken to me

but I only first played the game when I was 15/16, and maybe I just wasn't used to it like sm is.

I had no problem with MK64's AI, even in 150cc. I got gold on all cups in a few days, actually. Only one I struggled on was Mirror Flower Cup, because of fucking Toad's Turnpike. However I was playing on Virtual Console. Did they ramp down the AI on thenVirtual Console version?

To me, NSMB was a better game than SM64(DS). Why? Well...
To me, NSMB was my first Mario game, so the nostalgia factor found in you guys for SM64(DS) is found in me for NSMB.
SM64(DS)'s camera angles were extremely difficult for me to control back when I was younger, and it didn't help that my buttons were so damn unresponsive.
Flash forward to now. Well, now it's easy to control both games, but NSMB comes out on top.
The best game of all time? Galaxy.

My first Mario game happened to be Mario Kart DS. That's still one of my favorite games to this day.

I have to admit the first main series mario game I actually owned was New Super Mario Bros., as I don't count Wario Land 3.

I believe Super Mario Galaxy is better than Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Rosalina is a much better character than Lubba, and the Comet Observatory beats Starship Mario and the World Map.

Super Smash Misty said:
I believe Super Mario Galaxy is better than Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Rosalina is a much better character than Lubba, and the Comet Observatory beats Starship Mario and the World Map.

I wouldn't change a pixel of this statement, I'd be disappointed if this really was an unpopular opinion.

That Boos are dead Toads, and Toads wear hats or have hair, not the mushroom is part of their head.

Back