Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Mcmadness said:
It's supposed to be a wedding tux but it can also fit in with the criminal/pimp look.

That's pretty much why I brought it up. Bowser's outfit is supposed to be wedding related, and yet it also looks like something that a crime boss (or even a pimp) might wear.

Unpopular opinion: I like Super Mario 3D Land more than Super Mario 3D World.
Probably because I played the entire game of 3D World in 3 or 4 player multiplayer.

Luigi 64DD said:
Unpopular opinion: I like Super Mario 3D Land more than Super Mario 3D World.
Probably because I played the entire game of 3D World in 3 or 4 player multiplayer.

Eh, 3D Land looks more fun.

I wouldn't object to a Mario game where the only returning character is Mario himself. Everything else (characters, locations, plot, etc) is new. In fact I'd welcome it.

Nintendo tried it with Donkey Kong for Jungle Beat. It was alright, but it just felt off. The bosses were neat, but there was no second Kong to play as, and the enemies and Animal Buddies were all boring, almost bootlegged versions of the ones from previous games (for instance, Hoofer the Wildebeest instead of Rambi the Rhinoceros).

I find it sad how some of the music tracks from Yoshi's Woolly World never got an encore. The "Yarn Yoshi Takes Shape!" BGM ends up hogging most of the glory.

Sometimes I even wonder how the following courses would feel with the following music tracks being played.

3-7 Fanciful Fluff and Feathers: Shy But Deadly
4-3 Rollin' Down the River: Clawdaddy Beach
6-2 Snag-Stitch Mountain: Scarf-Roll Scamper

Fresh Bowser said:
I wouldn't object to a Mario game where the only returning character is Mario himself. Everything else (characters, locations, plot, etc) is new. In fact I'd welcome it.

So it would be Mario in name only.

Not really, the criteria for a Mario game is that it stars Mario. As long as he's the main character, it's a Mario game.

Whether it's a good Mario game or not depends on other factors. But it would be a Mario game.

Fresh Bowser said:
Not really, the criteria for a Mario game is that it stars Mario. As long as he's the main character, it's a Mario game.

Whether it's a good Mario game or not depends on other factors. But it would be a Mario game.

I mean it's not like there are things like art style or gameplay mechanics or common recurring elements or anything that gives it a distinct identity.

Fresh Bowser said:

674px-Luigis_Mansion_dark_moon_boxart.png

So is this a Luigi game that's not a Mario game of any sort?

I didn't say Mario is the only character who can be the star of a Mario game. Luigi is a major character associated with Mario so his games still count. I'm just saying that if a game only featured Mario and a bunch of new characters, it would still be a Mario game. I didn't mean to sound confusing.

Oh.

I guess that's an unpopular opinion because my minimum character qualifications would have to be Mario and Luigi. Otherwise, it would feel empty. Especially nowadays, in games, you don't really see Mario without Luigi hanging around nearby.

Well to be fair I'd also enjoy a game with Luigi as the only returning character. They are a great team, I just am interested to see a game where only one recognizable character is in, so new characters can have more of a chance to shine and potentially become recurring.

How would you think that would boost their chances? Curious.

Fresh Bowser said:
Well to be fair I'd also enjoy a game with Luigi as the only returning character. They are a great team, I just am interested to see a game where only one recognizable character is in, so new characters can have more of a chance to shine and potentially become recurring.

I will never understand your fascination with new characters. This franchise is bloated enough as is.

But look at Wario Land. Wario's the only guy who originated from a Mario game. The rest are made-up yahoos that no one really remembers anymore. :keyzer:

Back