Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Magikrazy said:
You misunderstood his post.

He was content with the 2-5 turn boss battles in ss, while ranting about the longer ones in pit.

but 2-5 turn boss battles is still way too short and easy..... thats like no effort at all.

Some regular enemies take 2 turns why would you want a boss battle with that length?

They should get rid of 2D Mario and have the 3D Land/world games replace it instead.

They'd also still have the star collecting games like 64/sunshine/ galaxy etc etc being made simultaneously.

Why? Well the 3D world games do better linear platformers than the NSMB series does.

The real 2D Mario gaems would be Mayro vs. Kondey Kong then.

I could get behind that.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star, while it can't hold a candle to the other games, is still a decent game, mainly because of how original it is. Also, Dream Team is the best M&L game. Also, Mario Party 10 is an improvement on 9, mainly because of how fun Bowser Party is if you're playing as Bowser. Also, it has one of the few good uses of amiibo.

Originality shouldn't get a point if said original concept is not executed well.

I don't like Super Paper Mario for wiki-related reasons, moreso than Sticker Star. You know why? It's hard to tell whenever it's a to-the-point synopsis or a poor attempt at sounding like a deep and edgy narrative (like in the 2007-2009 state of the wiki). I think Thousand-Year Door and Super Mario RPG have similar reasons, but Super Paper Mario stands out to me.

the 2007-2009 wiki?

It's not a clear-cut line, but the general idea during those years is that there is writing like this, and it's widespread:

Mario and Luigi met with their toughest challenges yet. Bowser had prepared an expansive, modern military, complete with tanks, airships, and ships capable of withstanding the lava that flowed throughout the world.

Bowser's plans are also sometimes complicated in themselves and involve numerous crimes such as abduction, theft, robbery, terrorism, abuse, harrassment, blackmail, arson, destruction, numerous attempts of mass murder, minion facilitation, child endangerment, assault, and even acts such as frame-up, fraud, and identity theft as evident in Super Mario Sunshine.

While Bowser has been shown from pure relentless evil to a comical villain, there have been hardly any instances where Bowser has shown any form of emotion other than anger or hatred. Bowser has never shown any remorse for his actions, which have led to numerous atrocities and caused much destruction from the Mushroom Kingdom all the way to the outer reaches of the universe. Bowser also seems to lack sympathy and has disregard for any form of life. Bowser's many attacks on the Mushroom Kingdom could have easily taken many lives, but Bowser has never shown any remorse when doing these attacks, only focusing on obtaining power and ruling the Mushroom Kingdom with Peach at his side. In Paper Mario, Mario's defeat at the hands of Bowser, to which Bowser mockingly laughed at, could be considered murder as he is only able to rise up after the combined energy of the Star Spirits. In Super Paper Mario, Bowser has shown to have no problems killing his own minions when they attack. He has even on occasions abducted infants to fulfill his nefarious goal of conquest and did not care in the least for their well being. Perhaps Bowser's biggest demonstration for disregard for other lives is in Super Mario Galaxy, where his plot was to wipe out entire galaxies to create a cosmos he can control.

When Cackletta stole Princess Peach's voice Mario and Luigi had to go to the Beanbean Kingdom to get it back. Luigi wanted to stay, but after a series of tragic and hilarious events, he ended up going with Mario.

In Mario is Missing! Mario was kidnapped by Bowser and it was up to Luigi to find him. During his quest, Luigi learned about geography and battled Bowser's seven children, traveling across the real world to find Mario. This game was similar to Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? Because this game was an edutainment, many people say it was more of an insult to the green plumber, rather than a salute.

Any article that existed in those years is a goldmine of terrible, flowery writing, and Super Paper Mario is annoying because you don't know if it's a relic or that's actually what's going on in the article. Maybe the adjectives and stuff can be removed, but it's otherwise particularly difficult to rewrite Super Paper Mario-related things especially if you haven't played the games. Which is why I hate it.

Yeesh. Look I like to think Bowser is evil too but like everything else in this series it's cartoonishly so.

And from what I read the SPM article is fairly accurate, which further emphasises why I find it rubbish.

Zae Eildus said:
paper jam looks to be the most interesting mario rpg since ttyd

I agree. Paper Mario looks to play more or less how he did from that game in terms of basic field abilities and attacks.

I think it's looking up to be decent. I'm liking the way it's turning out.

I think a cool feature that Paper Jam should get is the ability to flip from 2D to 3D from SPM.

But the game's already in 3D. So the only option would be to flip to 2D, which would be very restrictive.

While on the subject, I hated that gimmick. Most people I've seen were fine or even liked the mechanic, ergo thread title.

2D to 3D would have been fine if Mario was the only playable character and the game revolved around it.

But instead SPM had several half baked and underdeveloped junk all crammed into a package of mediocrity.

Mcmadness said:
2D to 3D would have been fine if Mario was the only playable character and the game revolved around it.

But instead SPM had several half baked and underdeveloped junk all crammed into a package of mediocrity.

agreed, and not a lot was interesting with the 3d flip too, it often looked barren and generally wasnt very interesting.

i still have no idea why someone would want a boss that dies in 5 turns or less.

Thats like a normal enemy being a boss.

Zae Eildus said:
i still have no idea why someone would want a boss that dies in 5 turns or less.

Thats like a normal enemy being a boss.
Maybe they did a shit-ton of grinding?

I'd say 7-8 turns is good enough for a boss.

Why don't the M&L games introduce boss healing to pad the length so it can be like the rest of the game?

Incredibly padded out?

Back