Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

*not replying to anyone, just stating a comment.

Mario RPGs should be more complicated (as in more depth) in terms of stats and gameplay.

Considering they are generally designed to be rpgs for noobs, I wouldn't expect anything beyond what we have already.

Mcmadness said:
Considering they are generally designed to be rpgs for noobs, I wouldn't expect anything beyond what we have already.
I'm stating an ideal game, not exactly a realistic one.

Mario Party X said:

Mario RPGs should be more complicated (as in more depth) in terms of stats and gameplay.

Mario and Luigi already took care of the stats. Gameplay still needs a little bit of polish though.

Donatello said:
Mario Party X said:

Mario and Luigi already took care of the stats. Gameplay still needs a little bit of polish though.

Too bad the battle customization still sucks

There isn't much depth to M&L stats anyway, just keep boosting attack everytime and you'll destroy everything you come up against.

I want a new Mario RPG that is a multiplayer action RPG

Now that will DEFINITELY never happen.

Mcmadness said:
Now that will DEFINITELY never happen.

That's why it's an unpopular opinion

But seriously, a new RPG series that uses action instead of turn-based combat is far more of an interesting prospect to me.

Magikrazy said:
Thats a platform rpg

Its still action.

SPM is the only action rpg in the franchise thus far and I have said before that I think there is potential in its platformer/rpg hybrid gameplay but it needs expanding and refining.

Stanley the Troll said:
Sounds like this is what you're after. (by the way what happened to linking directly to wiki articles with a little mario-face button?)

That's barely an action RPG. The most you do is either one attack at enemies with no combos or nothing like that. And it sucks ass but that's not my original point.

When I mean action RPG I mean RPGs that have a focus mostly on combat and has multiplayer support. It can either be a dungeon crawler or have action take place in a designated battlefield. I don't care. Just as long as it's not turn-based or....THAT, then it would be really cool.

Even so, you can meet enemies on the battlefield similar to Mario & Luigi and engage them in combat in another one. I have Tales of Symphonia in my head but hell, it's probably not the only game that does that.

Mcmadness said:
Magikrazy said:
Thats a platform rpg

Its still action.

SPM is the only action rpg in the franchise thus far and I have said before that I think there is potential in its platformer/rpg hybrid gameplay but it needs expanding and refining.

Doesnt matter if the primary focus isnt action.

Platformer rpgs and action rpgs are totally different.

Zae Eildus said:
Doesnt matter if the primary focus isnt action.

Platformer rpgs and action rpgs are totally different.

''Action role-playing games (abbreviated action RPG, action/RPG, or ARPG) form a loosely defined subgenre of role-playing video games that incorporate elements of action or action-adventure games, emphasizing real-time action where the player has direct control over characters, instead of turn-based or menu-based combat.''

Its an action rpg. The primary difference is that you're jumping on things instead of hitting them with things (though you can still do that with Cudge)

loosely indeed, doesnt change the fact that a vast majority of "action rpgs" differ from a host of platformer rpgs.

For example, sotn and ToE play nothing alike.

But oh well, the description did say loosely.

Although that logic is pretty flawed as that would imply the vast majority of games ever are action games.

Well no classification is perfect, there will always be odd ones out. They exist largely to group what commonly occurs.

Mcmadness said:
Well no classification is perfect, there will always be odd ones out. They exist largely to group what commonly occurs.

I suppose, it just seems odd.

But oh well, kinda not the topic i guess.

Yoshi's new island's soundtrack is far superior to the original game.

lol no.

If I was, I'd think there is something seriously wrong with me.

Back