Which you think it is better?

• N64

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • DS

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters

ToxBox

Power Star
It is very very hard to choose because those is both first Mario platformer that I got. N64 have more better controls and graphics while DS have minigames, more levels and 4 character. I think I had to choose N64 verison since controls for N64 is easy than Wii VC or emulators with horrible arrow keys controls. Also DS tend to make character go slower running than N64's faster running.

Also I will be getting this again next week because my game got stolen and this game will be shipped and arrive next week and I still have this game's box and manual.

I prefer Super Mario 64 DS

Mainly because Luigi is playable and he is my favorite out of the bunch in that game. Also, I'm more used to the DS version than the 64 version and therefore more comfortable with its controls.

I also prefer the DS version since Yoshi, Luigi, and Wario are playable. Finally, a mainstream Mario game where Yoshi appears without giving Mario a piggyback ride.

Diddy Kong said:
N64 have more better controls and graphics while DS have minigames, more levels and 4 character.

No way, the DS graphic are MILES better than the N64, even though I like the goofy polygonal N64 graphics.

Baby Luigi said:
Diddy Kong said:
N64 have more better controls and graphics while DS have minigames, more levels and 4 character.

No way, the DS graphic are MILES better than the N64, even though I like the goofy polygonal N64 graphics.
Agreed. They're both great. if you want some Nostalgia, play SM64. If you're on the go, play the DS version.

They're both good games, but I prefer the N64 version because it's just easier to control in my opinion. I usually prefer originals over remakes anyway.

How come I'm the odd one out? I felt Super Mario 64 DS controlled just fine while I felt Super Mario 64 was the one with the odd controls.

Baby Luigi said:
How come I'm the odd one out? I felt Super Mario 64 DS controlled just fine while I felt Super Mario 64 was the one with the odd controls.

I also think that SM64DS controlled well (which is somewhat ironic).

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who was fine with the way Super Mario 64 DS controlled.

I liked the control too. I also liked the extra bosses and how you had to use powerups for some special stuff. Also, you can play as Yoshi without piggyback rides!

Definetly prefer the original. More often than everything new about DS just got in the way for me.

The original had better controls and I liked the TV better then the smaller screen but the DS did have 30 more stars so that was a bonus, also N64 version was the original and was legendary so it wins points for that. :mario:

I had no problems with the controls and they work just fine, im gonna start another one of these but, if the nostalgia fanboys that roam the world like analog controls please stop whining and play the much better graphically advanced, 4 characters, more stars and small sunshine reference game over the old one character game which has a somewhat funny polygon style, even if i kinda like the goofy style, less levels or star, and dated game....

even if it set the standard for 3d gaming imo the remake is much better..

The game did play a little easier with an analog stick, but the D-pad on the DS never got in my way nearly as much as the godawful camera controls on the N64.

I prefer the DS. The D-pad never really bothered with me. I've heard that the physics of Super Mario 64 is more annoying (how many times Mario makes that "uh" sound when you tried jumping into a wall? How about performing those wall-jumps?).

SM64's physics aren't annoying. Certain moves are just harder to pull off compared to doing the same thing on the DS.

Well, maybe, but I'm the type who played Super Mario 64 DS first.

I'm the type who played SM64 first but then found out I was better at the DS version.

DS. So much more to the game, looks great, and plus Luigi is playable, so that's what I like about it.

Well as a remake, it is hard to deny that Nintendo very much improved the game quite a bit and even added in extras. SM64 will of course be revolutionary at its time; however, SM64 DS was still a great remake for it. It's nice to see that Luigi was finally added in after all the complaints about him being "missing" in the original SM64.

Also I've heard that the gameplay for SM64 DS is supposedly a lot better on the 3DS due to the added joystick in the handheld. I have yet to try it; however, it does sound tempting indeed.

Too bad I lost my copy. I would be playing it on the 3DS by now. Hm, I wonder how those touch screen controls work out. Are they gimmicky?

Propeller Toad said:
Also I've heard that the gameplay for SM64 DS is supposedly a lot better on the 3DS due to the added joystick in the handheld. I have yet to try it; however, it does sound tempting indeed.

It is if you're not used to the D-Pad. It's still better otherwise, though not significantly.

This is verging a little off, but how does Mario Kart DS handle with the stick? Is it the same with Super Mario 64 DS?

Back