New Super Mario Bros. 2

The golden flower does that

Soon, Mario's food turns into gold and....

Oh wait, Mario doesn't eat anyway.

Lemmy Koopa Girl said:
I thought this was gonna be on the Wii at first until it said it was on 3DS! It's better than the Wii. I wonder how the 3D's gonna be like. Maybe Mario and the coins pop out of the screen. I think at least the coins will.
Watch the 3D-trailer.

It's not my choice what people think of the game, but shouldn't we atleast wait to play it/read reviews before we judge it for its theme?

I think it could be interesting. But I won't call it good or bad until I've played it for myself.

Lakituthequick said:
Lemmy Koopa Girl said:
I thought this was gonna be on the Wii at first until it said it was on 3DS! It's better than the Wii. I wonder how the 3D's gonna be like. Maybe Mario and the coins pop out of the screen. I think at least the coins will.
Watch the 3D-trailer.
I watched the E3...

Anyways, I don't think gold will ruin the game. I think it'll be fun! :)

Not a whole lot of Super Mario titles keep track of your coin collection, so the element of collecting coins would be quite an adventure for the developers. Amusingly, coin greed seems closer to Wario's territory.

Apparently, the ultimate goal of the game is to collect 1 million coins.

What if Bowser's holding Peach for ransom? That would be interesting, and a bit deeper than the usual "save the princess" plot.

Lakituthequick said:
Lemmy Koopa Girl said:
Lakituthequick said:
Watch the 3D-trailer.
I watched the E3...
3D, not E3. 3D-trailers are available in the eShop.
I can't if they aren't free. But if they're free, I'll watch them. I finally will be able to see what the 3D looks like.

Lemmy Koopa Girl said:
Lakituthequick said:
Lemmy Koopa Girl said:
Lakituthequick said:
Watch the 3D-trailer.
I watched the E3...
I can't if they aren't free. But if they're free, I'll watch them. I finally will be able to see what the 3D looks like.
Trailers are always free. They are in the E3 News category (in Europe at least).

Lakituthequick said:
Lemmy Koopa Girl said:
Lakituthequick said:
Lemmy Koopa Girl said:
Lakituthequick said:
Watch the 3D-trailer.
I watched the E3...
Trailers are always free. They are in the E3 News category (in Europe at least).
Ok, I'll check it out.

Well, there is no doubt that by the end of World 1-1, you'll already have 99 lives. :thumbs up: Seriously, everything about this game is about coins. Maybe the value has decreased from all the deflation in the game, giving Mario the need to grab more of them.

This game is confirmed to have paid DLC after launch. So far, the DLC consists of extra coin rush stages. Price is unknown.

I hope they accept coins as an alternate form of payment.

So far, the cooperative gameplay is the only thing that interests me about this game.

My friend says he's not getting EITHER of the new 2D Mario games. He thinks this "nostalgic fad" towards 2D games has to stop, because this isn't the '80s, and gamers must embrace the present, because clinging to the past will halt progress with games.

...fuck him.

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
^He's completely right, tho.
Can't you have and love both genres, and get them both in large quantities?

No true Mario fan can knock 2D, some of his best and most classic games are as such. I will NEVER believe that 3D is innately better than 2D. Judge every game as an individual game. MANY 3D games suck ass. I pick up classic SMBs, 1-3, and love every minute of it. Same with every Donkey Kong Country from 1 to Returns. Some 3D games are so bad they make me sick!

I think what your friend's getting at is not that 2D is bad but that Nintendo can't rely on it and expect to profit from it indefinitely.

Post-Damage Invincibility said:

No true Mario fan can knock 2D, some of his best and most classic games are as such. I will NEVER believe that 3D is innately better than 2D. Judge every game as an individual game. MANY 3D games suck ass. I pick up classic SMBs, 1-3, and love every minute of it. Same with every Donkey Kong Country from 1 to Returns. Some 3D games are so bad they make me sick!
There is a vast independent scene these days built entirely on 2D graphics, and many an avid gamer are knee-deep in the many spectacular titles smaller development teams have to offer. The graphics and plane of the game is not the problem. The issue is archaic gameplay and licenses that haven't done much evolving at all, which is exactly what this never-ending parade of New Super Mario Bros. bollocks is; rehashes of a trite formula that are only being made to cater to the nostalgia-blinded.

It might've made sense to pull this shit back in the late 1980s when we had tremendous limitations to what could be added to a game, but I like to think these days we expect a lot more from our games than "the same shit + a few new power-ups"

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
Post-Damage Invincibility said:

There is a vast independent scene these days built entirely on 2D graphics, and many an avid gamer are knee-deep in the many spectacular titles smaller development teams have to offer. The graphics and plane of the game is not the problem. The issue is archaic gameplay and licenses that haven't done much evolving at all, which is exactly what this never-ending parade of New Super Mario Bros. bollocks is; rehashes of a trite formula that are only being made to cater to the nostalgia-blinded.

It might've made sense to pull this shit back in the late 1980s when we had tremendous limitations to what could be added to a game, but I like to think these days we expect a lot more from our games than "the same shit + a few new power-ups"
Well then the developers hopefully won't make it same shit + a few more power-ups. The possibilities for 2D games are every bit as endless. How can people possibly argue against them after Donkey Kong Country Returns showed us how amazing they can still be?

Back