New Super Mario Bros. 2

BMB said:
I hope I'm not the only one to say this: This is getting monotonous.

I'm sorry, but New Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. Wii were okay one-time through and were at least released three years apart, but New Super Mario Bros. Wii U and New Super Mario Bros. 2? I love that we are recreating what Nintendo did 27 years ago, but I think they are overdoing it a bit, especially having those two games released so close to each other.

I think its just because 2.5 Dimension is great for one-time-through gameplay.

You're far from being the only one. Far from it.

kat-rin koopa said:
Has this been posted yet? Lots of official artwork for the game, includes Raccoon Mario in his SMB3 pose, the Mega and Mini Mushrooms coming back and lots of gold power-ups.
Nice, I've been re-playing the first NSMB and the Mega and Mini Mushrooms are awesome, hopefully there will be some more innovative uses for them in this game. However does this mean NSMB1 is 'retro' enough for the new NSMB games to be paying homage to it :toad:?

Propeller Toad said:
Nice fine Kat-rin Koopa! I personally haven't seen those images as of yet, but it's very nice to see new artwork for the enemies as opposed to the same NSMB1 artwork we've had of them for quite a while now.

I'm sure that the Koopaling fans are going to be quite pleased to see the new artwork for them:
KoopalingsNSMB2.png

Oh look, no Bowser Jr. in sight either!
All I really want to say is, seeing the Koopalings as a major antagonist in another makes me really happy, and upgraded New Super Mario Bros. 2 from a game I only had the slightest, remote interest in, to a must-buy!

Yeah, because I like the Koopalings.

Some of you might not like the Koopalings as much as I do, or say that they were already in New Super Mario Bros. Wii why get excited over seeing them again? To which I say, well, Bowser Jr. has appeared in TONS of Mario titles, both mainstream and in spin-offs, I'd like to see Bowser's original seven kids reach that kind of level. Appearing in two major 2D Mario games is a start, I'll say that much.

I'm still hoping for the day in which we'll see characters from Super Mario Bros. 2 again, aside from Shy Guy, Pokey, Bob-omb, and Birdo.

Anyway, regarding the Koopalings in this game, I wonder how the "story" is going to play out... I realize that story in a Mario game is almost pointless, but I still pay attention to that stuff. Perhaps Bowser had his children steal some mystic artifacts that transforms everything into gold coins, and now Mario and Luigi have to collect enough gold coins to help reverse some kind of curse and stop their plot. Either way, I can only imagine the kind of inflation the Mushroom Kingdom is going through with all the abundance of coins...

^
Wow! First paragraph I totally agree with! And finally someone who likes at least 1 of the Koopalings (I don't like all of them) besides me and Awesome Koopa!!! :)

Gummy said:
Man, what happened to their worse-looking (pre-NSMBW) appearances?

fixed

With their unique NSMBW looks, koopaling fanboys/girs at least have some sort of legit reason for saying their different, and liking them.

Seriously, Iggy looked like a Lemmy clone gone wrong. I mean, was Nintendo really that lazy/out of ideas back then that they had to recycle Lemmy's hair?

I rather like it. I also like how he's slightly taller than everyone else, except Morton Jr. Makes him more readily recognizable.

Gummy said:
Man, what happened to their better-looking (pre-NSMBW) appearances? I hate Palm Tree Iggy.

The new designs at least make the Koopalings more unique with their fashion and color options. Back then, most of the Koopalings wore green shells.

Jeff said:
Gummy said:
Man, what happened to their worse-looking (pre-NSMBW) appearances?

fixed

With their unique NSMBW looks, koopaling fanboys/girs at least have some sort of legit reason for saying their different, and liking them.

Seriously, Iggy looked like a Lemmy clone gone wrong. I mean, was Nintendo really that lazy/out of ideas back then that they had to recycle Lemmy's hair?
From what I heard, each Koopaling was designed by a completely different person, to make sure each one would be unique.

Wow, the Koopalig art looks sick! I am also a Koopaling fan, so you can bet I am excited as well! Not to mention that I love the NSMBW redesigns. (ESPECIALLY Iggy's) Even though I am just as much as fan of Bowser Jr. though, I will admit that he needs a break for a while and these guys need to shine. Still makes me think about when they could ever appear in a 3D mainstream game. Now, all I have to wait for to return is Toadsworth, he deserves to come back and you all know it deep inside.

Gummy said:
Man, what happened to their better-looking (pre-NSMBW) appearances? I hate Palm Tree Iggy.
I've only seen pictures of his old appearance, but IMO I like it!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Count Mario said:
Wow, the Koopalig art looks sick! I am also a Koopaling fan, so you can bet I am excited as well! Not to mention that I love the NSMBW redesigns. (ESPECIALLY Iggy's) Even though I am just as much as fan of Bowser Jr. though, I will admit that he needs a break for a while and these guys need to shine. Still makes me think about when they could ever appear in a 3D mainstream game. Now, all I have to wait for to return is Toadsworth, he deserves to come back and you all know it deep inside.

I am also quite fond of the new Koopaling artwork and I also do agree with you on the fact that they deserved another appearance. They may look slightly different than their SMB3 looks; however, this helps to differentiate them better as well. They all look very unique now; yet, pay homages to their original designs. Also Jr. is fine, but it is nice to have the Koopalings return in a proper way and it would be nice to see them without him in another title.

I'm fine with Toadsworth's appearance as long as he doesn't replace Toad in his return (or at least make Toad be playable/another role). :P

Yeah, even though their NSMBWii appearances' graphics look good, these look much better! And I like the way they're positioned in that pic.

Let's hope they have good, and different battle techniques!

Propeller Toad said:
Count Mario said:

I am also quite fond of the new Koopaling artwork and I also do agree with you on the fact that they deserved another appearance. They may look slightly different than their SMB3 looks; however, this helps to differentiate them better as well. They all look very unique now; yet, pay homages to their original designs. Also Jr. is fine, but it is nice to have the Koopalings return in a proper way and it would be nice to see them without him in another title.

I'm fine with Toadsworth's appearance as long as he doesn't replace Toad in his return (or at least make Toad be playable/another role). :P
Trust me, he definitely shouldn't replace Toad. He's another character that I want to display newfound importance in the Mario franchise.

I don't get why people say two appearances over the course of 4 years is too much.

Nobody complained when they were in:

Mario 3
Mario World
Yoshi's Safari
Mario Is Missing!
Hotel Mario

That was over the course of six years.

Yeah like I've said before, the Koopalings are more of in the underused category, since before now, they've only been in "3" 2D platformers, and have not made any 3D platformer appearances.

Poor Lemmy hanging out of the Clown Car but really awesome group artwork
1024px-NSMB2fullartwork.jpg

I just love the Spiny artwork how it looks a lot more like a 2D position and the higher quality artwork of the P-Switch unlike the one from NSMBW. Also the pipe bursting with coins and the Wood Blocks. This has got to be my favorite 2D platformer group artwork! So much going on.

Am I the only one who thinks the group artwork looks hideous (the one with the scene, not the Koopalings!) and that the artwork just screams inflation?

Baby Luigi said:
Am I the only one who thinks the group artwork looks hideous (the one with the scene, not the Koopalings!) and that the artwork just screams inflation?
Probably, and do you think the Koopalings are hideous?

No, the Koopalings are not hideous

Wendy is the only exception

...how could I forget her?

Baby Luigi said:
No, the Koopalings are not hideous
Yay!!!
Baby Luigi said:
Wendy is the only exception

...how could I forget her?
She's ok, she's semi hideous.

On topic, I hope the game graphics are as good as the artwork!

I thought this was gonna be on the Wii at first until it said it was on 3DS! It's better than the Wii. I wonder how the 3D's gonna be like. Maybe Mario and the coins pop out of the screen. I think at least the coins will.

Back