Star Wars in General (Movies, Shows, Books, Games, etc.)

Favorite Star Wars Movie(/s)?

• Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

• Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • All of Them. Can't Pick a Favorite

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Only Original Trilogy

• Only Prequel Trilogy

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Only Sequel Trilogy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i think it's interesting though

gives him character

Nabber said:

gives him character
i think it's the wrong character

it's possible to have a villain also be sympathetic

but there's a great divide between the two personalities in the movies

Nabber said:

gives him character
It wasn't just that he took off the mask, but that's just where I generally start seeing more problems.

I think he had enough personality with the mask. You see that's he's wild when he throws his temper tantrums (like Vader but less controlled), you see that he's a dangerous bad guy, and you are afraid of him. He still has some revealing scenes like the talking to Vader's helmet and Snoke, where you see he's still not fully confident in being a bad guy (which I thought felt kinda lame the way they portrayed it, but not that bad).

But when he takes off his mask, the first thing you see is that incredibly awkward and cringey "Force read your mind" scene that felt like it went on forever AND Rey is magically better than he is at it (?????). Also the fact that it would have been SOOOO much better for him to finally take off the mask AND reveal that he is Solo's son when he meets him on the bridge. Taking off the mask then made him appear weak, with his interactions following tending to support that.

"But he's a conflicted villain" but now this means he is a WEAK villain, not one who we used to be afraid of. Now all the villains are poor in this movie (Ren is weak, Hux tries way too hard, Snoke just kinda exists and Phasma does literally nothing except ruin the entire empire, like honestly what kind of respectable military leader would do something like that). The best villain in this movie is TR-8R, or Nines I think he actually is.
Time Turner said:
Nabber said:

gives him character
i think it's the wrong character

it's possible to have a villain also be sympathetic

but there's a great divide between the two personalities in the movies
Agreed

People generally say that episode I is the worst. In my opinion the worst has gotta be episode II . I legitimately watched half and got bored. I didn't finish the other half until 2014. Episode II is the only Star Wars movie that I don't like. I don't hate it, but if you gave it to me on a saturday afternoon, I think I'd stick with episode V.

I hated II more as well, the romance scenes were cringey, and nothing really happened. At least The Phantom Menace had Qui-Gon Jin and Darth Maul, even if it had Jar-Jar Binks. I really loved Episode III though.

episode ii is best watched if you cut out all the anakin/padme scenes

then it's the story of obi-wan the detective, as he uncovers a mystery that will lead to war on a galactic scale

Mayan Ryan said:
Nabber said:

gives him character
It wasn't just that he took off the mask, but that's just where I generally start seeing more problems.

I think he had enough personality with the mask. You see that's he's wild when he throws his temper tantrums (like Vader but less controlled), you see that he's a dangerous bad guy, and you are afraid of him. He still has some revealing scenes like the talking to Vader's helmet and Snoke, where you see he's still not fully confident in being a bad guy (which I thought felt kinda lame the way they portrayed it, but not that bad).

But when he takes off his mask, the first thing you see is that incredibly awkward and cringey "Force read your mind" scene that felt like it went on forever AND Rey is magically better than he is at it (?????). Also the fact that it would have been SOOOO much better for him to finally take off the mask AND reveal that he is Solo's son when he meets him on the bridge. Taking off the mask then made him appear weak, with his interactions following tending to support that.

"But he's a conflicted villain" but now this means he is a WEAK villain, not one who we used to be afraid of. Now all the villains are poor in this movie (Ren is weak, Hux tries way too hard, Snoke just kinda exists and Phasma does literally nothing except ruin the entire empire, like honestly what kind of respectable military leader would do something like that). The best villain in this movie is TR-8R, or Nines I think he actually is.[/spoiler]
basically you seem to be complaining that he's not a standard villain. he's emotionally weak but physically strong. it gives him this man who tries so hard and yet just can't manage to be a real villain

basically everyone's complaints with this film tend to be "it's too much like the originals" or "it's not enough like the originals"

Nabber said:
Mayan Ryan said:
Nabber said:

gives him character

"But he's a conflicted villain" but now this means he is a WEAK villain, not one who we used to be afraid of. Now all the villains are poor in this movie (Ren is weak, Hux tries way too hard, Snoke just kinda exists and Phasma does literally nothing except ruin the entire empire, like honestly what kind of respectable military leader would do something like that). The best villain in this movie is TR-8R, or Nines I think he actually is.[/spoiler]
basically you seem to be complaining that he's not a standard villain. he's emotionally weak but physically strong. it gives him this man who tries so hard and yet just can't manage to be a real villain

basically everyone's complaints with this film tend to be "it's too much like the originals" or "it's not enough like the originals"
i haven't even seen the originals and i'm complaining

the villain has scenes where he's set up like this big overlord

and then he has other scenes where he's nothing but feeble

there's never a balance

... that's the point

he's someone who goes around acting like he's all big and mighty because he can use the dark side, but he really has a very shallow grasp on the force, which is partly why rey is able to overcome him at the end of the movie

also why the hell haven't you seen the originals

to me it always felt like i was watching two completely different characters sharing the same space

like when he kills han, i got the impression that the audience was supposed to be like, "oh shit he's evil"

but that death happens just a couple of moments after he was waddling around like a toddler

this isn't making him look conflicted, it just makes him look like he has a split-personality

idk maybe a lot of my issues are just because the movie didn't really develop him beyond the vader worship and being evil

hey shush i'm getting on it

Marcia said:
I hated II more as well, the romance scenes were cringey, and nothing really happened. At least The Phantom Menace had Qui-Gon Jin and Darth Maul, even if it had Jar-Jar Binks. I really loved Episode III though.

True. Although I don't like Episode II, I do understand why the romance scenes existed. Padme was the reason Anakin became Darth Vader. The romance scenes could've been implemented differently.

Iggy Waffles said:
Marcia said:

True. Although I don't like Episode II, I do understand why the romance scenes existed. Padme was the reason Anakin became Darth Vader. The romance scenes could've been implemented differently.
If by implemented differently, you mean better written, better acted, better shot, and better directed, then yes.

Nabber said:
That's because it can simultaneously be missing elements that people enjoyed from the originals (like maybe you could actually build up to cool big reveals instead of just throwing them in whenever the hell you feel like it and you could have COOL villains) while still shamelessly stealing a lot of plot points from mostly episode 4

Honestly, I'm ok with having a villain who doesn't have it all together and is not the baddest guy around. But Kylo Ren is just awkward and uncool once this side of him is shown.

At first I thought it was another Rogue Leader video game but a spin-off movie is okay with me, I guess

if nothing else, the disney star wars movies will be remembered for having absolutely killer trailers

i thought episode vii was awesome

not sure if that's the general consensus of the internet, but i think it's got that going for it too

yeah i loved episode vii too

but they've consistently made amazing trailer after amazing trailer, and that's also really hard to do

no not really

trailers are usually completely independent of the actual movie. i just like trailers as an art form

but sometimes you can get an idea that they're going in a certain direction

and sometimes you get something like the frozen trailer which has absolutely nothing to do with the actual movie

Back