Star Wars in General (Movies, Shows, Books, Games, etc.)

Favorite Star Wars Movie(/s)?

• Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

• Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • All of Them. Can't Pick a Favorite

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Only Original Trilogy

• Only Prequel Trilogy

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Only Sequel Trilogy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So wait, how did what's her face get Luke's lightsaber? She said "a question for another time" but it makes no sense. They mention that its the same saber that Luke's father had. In Episode IV, Obi-Wan gives Luke the saber that was once Anakins. Then in Empire Strikes Back, when Luke fights Vader, he gets his hand cut off and his lightsaber falls in a bottomless pit. Luke then gets a green saber (presumably from Yoda) for Return of the Jedi.

The point is, the blue lightsaber in this movie should've been lost forever, I seriously don't get how she could've possibly got it. Did a random civilian come across it in Bespin? Idk but it doesnt make sense

Rayquaza said:
So wait, how did what's her face get Luke's lightsaber? She said "a question for another time" but it makes no sense. They mention that its the same saber that Luke's father had. In Episode IV, Obi-Wan gives Luke the saber that was once Anakins. Then in Empire Strikes Back, when Luke fights Vader, he gets his hand cut off and his lightsaber falls in a bottomless pit. Luke then gets a green saber (presumably from Yoda) for Return of the Jedi.

The point is, the blue lightsaber in this movie should've been lost forever, I seriously don't get how she could've possibly got it. Did a random civilian come across it in Bespin? Idk but it doesnt make sense
whatever the answer is, it'll be the same answer to how han will survive in the next movie 8)

i think jj may have explained the lightsaber thing, not sure. the original opening shot of the movie was the lightsaber falling down, I think

I've been thinking about the lightsaber, too. Also, we don't know Rey's true identity, which is making me anticipate the next movie.

Been reading a few more of Timothy Zahn's EU books; Outbound Flight was an interesting introduction to Thrawn and Survivor's Quest was a pretty great mystery story. I can honestly admit I did not anticipate the twist at all.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2016/06/23/james-earl-jones-confirmed-as-voice-of-darth-vader-in-rogue-one-/

yes javelin this is a reddit repost

Nabber said:
i think jj may have explained the lightsaber thing, not sure. the original opening shot of the movie was the lightsaber falling down, I think
Which shot?

PrinceLarryKoopa88 said:
Nabber said:
Which shot?
Umm, the shot that wasn't in the final film.

Midna said:
http://comicbook.com/starwars/2016/06/23/james-earl-jones-confirmed-as-voice-of-darth-vader-in-rogue-one-/

yes javelin this is a reddit repost
I'm really hoping they treat Vader like a slasher movie villain. At the point the director of the recent Godizlla film is directing this, he should what he did with Godzilla and keep him in shadows, make him scary, and whenever he does show up, it's incredibly intense and a big deal. I want them to show just how frightening Vader can be. He should be an unstoppable force that the Rebels simply can't fight.

i hope they barely feature him at all, and focus on entirely new characters or better yet bring back thrawn and mara jade

vader's cool and all, but we've seen him before. i'm really hungry for a good new villain since sw7's were all pushovers

Vader had less than ten minutes of screen time in ANH and he was great.

Mild spoilers for Star Wars Rebels:
There's a great scene where the rebels are trying to escape and Vader confronts them. The shot of Vader standing alone is chilling and is something I want to see in the movie

new trailer

this is probably my least favorite out of all the rogue one and VII trailers, it's way too upbeat the dialogue is very generic

the visuals still look fantastic, but with the whole reshoot controversy, im starting to get scared that they really did try to lighten the tone of the movie

i'll stay cautiously optimistic though

ok time for some thoughts

first thing's first: this movie is drop-dead gorgeous to look at. wow. might be the best looking of all the star wars movies, and Force Awakens looked fantastic. i saw this in 3d, which i normally am very unimpressed, but it actually suited this movie very well, with some fantastic depth. so props to that

anyway, i'd compare this movie to the death star: incredibly impressive, but heavily let down by small flaws. this might have just been me, because ive been feeling really uninvolved in movies lately, but i felt very distant from the action in the first 90 minutes, and mostly felt like an observer. part of the problem is that the two main characters are just very flat. the actors do their best to make them watchable, but i think a movie like this really needs dynamic leads and unfortunately they didn't quite pull this off. i think the reshoots supposedly tried to make Jyn "more relatable", so maybe that kind of trashed her character. donnie yen is fantastic as always, of course. k-2so was funny, but didn't feel like he intruded on the movie, which was nice. and i also like the villain, to be quite honest. he's not the most complex character, but i thought he was a lot more interesting than a lot of villains we've gotten lately and had subtleties to him that i appreciated.

and of course, darth vader. i'd prefer if he weren't in this movie since he's essentially fan service. he was more or less handled well, so i can't really complain

story-wise i think this movie absolutely nails it. it manages in one movie to be better than the prequels ever did at reframing the original Star Wars and filling in gaps in the story. everything fits in so well, and it really feels like we're seeing another side of star wars. the planets as i mentioned where gorgeous, the lore is handled well, and my god, this movie has the full-scale star wars battle we've always wanted to see. puts hoth to shame tbh. i'd imagine that if you're a star wars nut like jav or something you'd be creaming yourself over this movie

as for the reshoots, for the most part, they're not noticeable, but there are a couple places where the editing and shots feel off and it becomes clear that they redid the scene. also, they removed a lot of lines and shots from the trailer, and while im judging the final product, i really wish some of the removed stuff were in the movie

overall, i liked it. i personally wish i could have been engaged with the movie more, but i really did admire a lot of what went right with this movie

now for real spoilers

jesus fucking christ, Tarkin had the most attrocious de-aging CGI ever. i didn't know he was going to be in the movie. in fact, i didn't recognize him because im dumb lol. all i know is that as soon as he came on screen, something about his face felt incredibly off. it wouldn't be so bad if he weren't in so much of the movie, but he is. it makes no sense since the character could have been replaced by anyone

anyway, i really like how the movie was worked around the idea of Galen planting a flaw in the death star. it manages to justify one of the huge plot holes in the original movie. good on you disney

darth vader: look, i think that final clip of him murdering everyone is badass as fuck like the rest of you, but also, it's clearly in the movie to make people jizz themselves.at least he wasn't in the movie much, since Vader was always supposed to be a restrained character. still, that "don't choke on your ambitions" line is kinda... cringy. james earl jones can sell anything but it's hard to take seriously

Krennic: as I said, i actually liked him. i liked the idea of seeing someone who kind of has little power in the army, who's just trying to do his job and be menacing, but realizes that he's completely disposable. he's not going to be in my greatest villains of all time list, but i thought he suited the film well.

donnie yen: his whole "i am one with the force" thing was kinda silly but it's okay because donnie yen is a fucking badass. any character who reminds me of toph is a great thing. i like the idea of a non-jedi channeling the force. im sure this kind of stuff was acknowledged in the EU, but never in the main franchise, so it's cool to see.

everyone dies: it was the right choice and im glad that it happened. but man, k-2so's death hurt more than i expected. and Chirrut Îmwe and Baze Malbus both had really sad deaths. you were all too good for this world

and as i said, the final 30 minutes makes the hoth battle look like baby's stuff. i still think the hoth battle is great for how overwhelming it is and showing the last days of war and shit, but man! this was a full scale star wars battle! this is what we've always wanted! star destroyers crashing into each other! holy shit! the rest of the movie was fine, but if i were just judging this part, this movie would probably be a 10/10 for me lol

anyway i think that's it. good stuff, i really like how they handled the movie, and it shows that disney really has a good understanding of star wars

I thought the movie was very good, and it was surprising to see Peter Cushing "reprising" the role of Tarkin. I thought that the actor who played Krennic would play Tarkin, but oh well. The one thing I didn't like was how that squid thing was supposed to locate the truth in the imperial pilot's brain, and while it did make him mentally unstable for a while as Saw Gerrera mentioned, I don't recall the truth being brought up again.

See this movie.
Nabber said:
anyway, i'd compare this movie to the death star: incredibly impressive, but heavily let down by small flaws. this might have just been me, because ive been feeling really uninvolved in movies lately, but i felt very distant from the action in the first 90 minutes, and mostly felt like an observer. part of the problem is that the two main characters are just very flat. the actors do their best to make them watchable, but i think a movie like this really needs dynamic leads and unfortunately they didn't quite pull this off. i think the reshoots supposedly tried to make Jyn "more relatable", so maybe that kind of trashed her character. donnie yen is fantastic as always, of course. k-2so was funny, but didn't feel like he intruded on the movie, which was nice. and i also like the villain, to be quite honest. he's not the most complex character, but i thought he was a lot more interesting than a lot of villains we've gotten lately and had subtleties to him that i appreciated.
I would also agree with the movie being kind of flat early on, but I personally feel the climax more than made up for it.
Nabber said:
and of course, darth vader. i'd prefer if he weren't in this movie since he's essentially fan service. he was more or less handled well, so i can't really complain
Yeah I was wondering why he was here too. They probably could have had a tighter story without Vader, but he was pretty fun to have. They did his character justice.
Nabber said:
story-wise i think this movie absolutely nails it. it manages in one movie to be better than the prequels ever did at reframing the original Star Wars and filling in gaps in the story. everything fits in so well, and it really feels like we're seeing another side of star wars. the planets as i mentioned where gorgeous, the lore is handled well, and my god, this movie has the full-scale star wars battle we've always wanted to see. puts hoth to shame tbh. i'd imagine that if you're a star wars nut like jav or something you'd be creaming yourself over this movie
wheeeeeeeeeeeee hee hee

They even had Red Leader and Gold Leader from Episode IV! How cool is that?
Nabber said:
as for the reshoots, for the most part, they're not noticeable, but there are a couple places where the editing and shots feel off and it becomes clear that they redid the scene. also, they removed a lot of lines and shots from the trailer, and while im judging the final product, i really wish some of the removed stuff were in the movie
The trailers looked like they were going for a "every Marvel movie ever made" feel and I'm personally very glad that didn't end up in the final product. It's still there a bit, but it's at a manageable level.
Nabber said:
jesus fucking christ, Tarkin had the most attrocious de-aging CGI ever. i didn't know he was going to be in the movie. in fact, i didn't recognize him because im dumb lol. all i know is that as soon as he came on screen, something about his face felt incredibly off. it wouldn't be so bad if he weren't in so much of the movie, but he is. it makes no sense since the character could have been replaced by anyone[/spoilers]
Really? I was extremely convinced. I was sitting there wondering if they'd found a lookalike for him, lol.
Nabber said:
darth vader: look, i think that final clip of him murdering everyone is badass as fuck like the rest of you, but also, it's clearly in the movie to make people jizz themselves.at least he wasn't in the movie much, since Vader was always supposed to be a restrained character. still, that "don't choke on your ambitions" line is kinda... cringy. james earl jones can sell anything but it's hard to take seriously
Agreed. They would have been better off if he just turned around and stared at him, then kept walking. No need for that line. I loved Vader in this, but he wasn't really necessary.
Nabber said:
donnie yen: his whole "i am one with the force" thing was kinda silly but it's okay because donnie yen is a fucking badass. any character who reminds me of toph is a great thing. i like the idea of a non-jedi channeling the force. im sure this kind of stuff was acknowledged in the EU, but never in the main franchise, so it's cool to see.
Yeah, that was great to see. Although considering he was on a planet where they were mining Kyber crystals, you'd think he would have a lightsaber made from one? A little silly, although I'm glad he didn't have a lightsaber.
Nabber said:
everyone dies: it was the right choice and im glad that it happened. but man, k-2so's death hurt more than i expected. and Chirrut Îmwe and Baze Malbus both had really sad deaths. you were all too good for this world
rip best droid in star wars universe
Nabber said:
and as i said, the final 30 minutes makes the hoth battle look like baby's stuff. i still think the hoth battle is great for how overwhelming it is and showing the last days of war and shit, but man! this was a full scale star wars battle! this is what we've always wanted! star destroyers crashing into each other! holy shit! the rest of the movie was fine, but if i were just judging this part, this movie would probably be a 10/10 for me lol

anyway i think that's it. good stuff, i really like how they handled the movie, and it shows that disney really has a good understanding of star wars
Couldn't agree more.
Rusty Bucket Bay said:
I thought the movie was very good, and it was surprising to see Peter Cushing "reprising" the role of Tarkin. I thought that the actor who played Krennic would play Tarkin, but oh well. The one thing I didn't like was how that squid thing was supposed to locate the truth in the imperial pilot's brain, and while it did make him mentally unstable for a while as Saw Gerrera mentioned, I don't recall the truth being brought up again.
They could have just deleted that scene entirely and it would have changed nothing. It was just oddly out of place and didn't tie into anything.

I really, really liked this movie. It felt nostalgic and fresh at the same time.

Disagree with Nabber, I thought Tarkin looked really convincing. Leia was the one who looked slightly off. Regardless, it was a treat to see them both.

Yes, Vader was fan service, and I don't care. Those last two minutes were worth the price of admission alone. They managed to make Darth Vader the horrifying force of destruction he is. That shot of the light saber clicking on in the dark was breath taking. I also love that his home base is on Mustafar (this was confirmed by a producer on Twitter). It's the perfect place for a Sith to channel his rage and anger.

The last third of this movie was easily the best part. Gareth Edwards knows how to shoot an intense scene. The walkers on the beach especially. Did anyone notice that Red Five died? That's the position Luke takes when he joins the team. Nice attention to detail.

And no one was spared. I had a feeling they would do this and I congratulate them on having the balls to do it. It's a war, and war has casualties. Based on the way New Hope plays out, there was no way they were gonna make it out alive, but damn did it hurt to see them go one by one.

I'll agree with the criticism that it's slow to start and that weird squid thing was out of place, sort of like those other out of place squid creatures from The Force Awakens.

All in all, solid film.

hmm, I wonder if the Tarkin thing might be a result of different theaters, or if you saw it in 3D or not? i thought it was absurdly obvious it was cgi, and a lot of reviews I've read echo my thoughts. then again my father thought it was well done so who knows

Nabber said:
hmm, I wonder if the Tarkin thing might be a result of different theaters, or if you saw it in 3D or not? i thought it was absurdly obvious it was cgi, and a lot of reviews I've read echo my thoughts. then again my father thought it was well done so who knows

I saw it in 3D and when I first saw him, it was obvious it was CGI since Cushing has been dead for 22 years but I thought the execution worked pretty well.

It was also nice to see Mads Mikkelsen in a heroic role for once. When I first saw his hologram message, I expected that his character would have been dead long ago since Jyn became an adult. Thankfully, he wasn't dead until the middle of the film.

GalacticPetey said:
I'll agree with the criticism that it's slow to start and that weird squid thing was out of place, sort of like those other out of place squid creatures from The Force Awakens.
Oh god, it's still better than those stupid things. Had probably a tenth of the screentime.
Nabber said:
Did not see it in 3D or IMAX, thought it was incredibly convincing. To the point where I thought they had found the world's best lookalike.

Back