Why do people hate Luigi's Mansion?

Post-Damage Invincibility

LET ME COME BACK TO THE 'SHROOM!
Banned User
Before you say, "I don't!", I'm talking about the public hatred of the game in general. It seems like everyone makes fun of the so-cliched-can-you-still-even-call-it-cliched? plot of Bowser kidnaps princess. Mario saves her. plot butwhenever they try to deviate even slightly from this forumula like Mansion and Sunshine people log on the internet and rant and rave about how much it sucks.

If you look Luigi's Mansion ( :luigi: ) is a solid game. Critics gave it good scores across the board. It was the GameCube's most sucsessful launch title. The only reason people "hate" on it, (me not being one of them) is because they eventually see it for what it was, a tech demo for the GCN. Much like Wii Sports was a tech demo for the Wii, people get bored with them too easily.

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
plot of Bowser kidnaps princess. Mario saves her. plot butwhenever they try to deviate even slightly from this forumula like Mansion and Sunshine people log on the internet and rant and rave about how much it sucks.
Well.... if the staff want a heroine or damsel, they can still add Daisy in Masion 2 (though she should have been in the main games).

Supernatural theme for young players is a nice idea, but I do hope the staff can try different themes just in other main games. Technically, the reason would be similar with that it looks like a demo for GCN in face of Sunshine?

I'd guess because it was short and fairly easy but alot of Mario games are so that doesn't make sense.

I'll be up front about it though.

People dont really like change, especially when a brand new idea comes into play in a video game that has never been done before, ever.

As previously stated some people may see it as a simple tech demo.

Luigi's Mansion is a good game in its own right but it does some issues with Mario fans all over the board.

Also many people saw it as an excuse to throw Luigi fanservice on the GCN.

SMRPG actually suffered from a very similar situation, as many people back then weren't big on rpgs and of course Mario fans wanted a platformer.

But years later it was widely accepted and loved.

So in total, it really comes down to the fact that people have a hard time accepting change into their franchise.

Although I still consider its rather lackluster length and difficulty to be an issue, you could do everything in the game and still finish it in one day, and to top it off there isn't really a tough challenge in the game.

Maybe besides one of the last bosses that splits into many ice boos(forgot the boss name), but thats more annoying than hard.

I'm thinking it was because people compared it to the other Nintendo games the GameCube premiered with, Super Smash Bros. Melee and Pikmin. And no GameCube game can beat those.

Drilbur said:
I'm thinking it was because people compared it to the other Nintendo games the GameCube premiered with, Super Smash Bros. Melee and Pikmin. And no GameCube game can beat those.
Thousand Year Door does

Weird, I LIKE Luigi's Mansion because of its deviance from the series. I hate it when they continue to "sequelize" stuff (POKEMON). Luigi's Mansion was a nice touch to the continuous (and also slightly repetitive) platforming games of the Mario series.

The general consensus that I'm getting for the reason on this thread, in my opinion, for the public disdain for the game, is for it being too short and too easy. I have also heard that Luigi is known for his jumping. Sooo---why no jumping? I think it is a Resident Evil-style game (with a Mario twist of course) and jumping doesn't really fit in to those sort of games...

It's true that the game is too short and easy, but I can easily live without the jumping.

Baby Luigi said:
It's true that the game is too short and easy, but I can easily live without the jumping.
You think it's easy? I thought you thought Boolossus was tough?

The entire game in general is short and easy. But 100%ing it is no easy task IMO (getting an A rank mansion, all gold portraits, etc.).

Boolossus was tough, correct, but he was only a part of the entire game.

Baby Luigi said:
The entire game in general is short and easy. But 100%ing it is no easy task IMO (getting an A rank mansion, all gold portraits, etc.).

Kind of like how people complain about how Super Mario Galaxy was easy to no end, and yet you constantly hear about how intensely hard Luigi's Purply Coins and Battle Rock Purple Coins are! I'd like to call out these people for their dichotomies and ask, "Which is it?!".

Baby Luigi said:

Kind of like how people complain about how Super Mario Galaxy was easy to no end, and yet you constantly hear about how intensely hard Luigi's Purply Coins and Battle Rock Purple Coins are! I'd like to call out these people for their dichotomies and ask, "Which is it?!".

I personally thought (and still think) that game is hard, since I haven't finished it. Anyway, I've been meaning to play LM, but it looks like that won't happen until LM2 comes out.

Mario4Ever said:
Baby Luigi said:

I personally thought (and still think) that game is hard, since I haven't finished it. Anyway, I've been meaning to play LM, but it looks like that won't happen until LM2 comes out.
We already know that LM2 will be WAY longer (there are multiple mansions in lieu of just one!) so that addresses the first major complaint. BUT...will it be harder?

Well I don't really care if it's harder, honestly. All I care about if it's enjoyable and I'm not amused if they make a new mode where everything's the same, but harder rather than include more levels. Like what they did to the first Luigi's Mansion.

Baby Luigi said:
Well I don't really care if it's harder, honestly. All I care about if it's enjoyable and I'm not amused if they make a new mode where everything's the same, but harder rather than include more levels. Like what they did to the first Luigi's Mansion.
The Hidden Mansion is considered harder? I thought it is considered easier because you can suck up the ghosts a lot quicker!

Baby Luigi said:
The Hidden Mansion is considered harder? I thought it is considered easier because you can suck up the ghosts a lot quicker!

Ghosts do more damage to you, though. It's a hit and miss thing.

And I was maybe thinking about the PAL version of the Hidden Mansion

Baby Luigi said:
Baby Luigi said:

What's that?

Baby Luigi said:
Baby Luigi said:

What's that?

PAL? Like, the European and Australian version of Luigi's Mansion? Yeah, it's different than the NTSC version (North America). The PAL version has added on difficulty to the Hidden Mansion.

Baby Luigi said:
Baby Luigi said:
Baby Luigi said:

What's that?

PAL? Like, the European and Australian version of Luigi's Mansion? Yeah, it's different than the NTSC version (North America). The PAL version has added on difficulty to the Hidden Mansion.
I know what PAL is what I meant was what are the added on challenges?

According to MarioWiki:

*The PAL Hidden Mansion is mirrored from left to right when compared to the Normal Mansion. The NTSC version keeps the layout the same.
*There are more normal ghosts around the mansion.
*Bosses are more difficult, having different attacks. (Chauncey's rocking horses, for example, are much bigger, and swerve left to right instead of going straight). A major change in the Boolossus battle is that the player rides around on the vacuum cleaner while trying to pop Boolossus, making movement more slippery.
*Rooms are much darker in the PAL version; this, however, is only as dark as in the NTSC version of both mansions, the normal PAL mansion being lighter.
*Most Boos have more HP in the PAL version, although some have less.
*Fewer hearts. Locations that have hearts in the Normal Mansion do not have them. Hearts that heal 50 HP exist in the Courtyard by vacuuming the Slim Banskshot-like statue.
*Speedy Spirits and Gold Mice always give up a Silver Diamond when caught, raising the maximum possible amount of money from 142,390,000G to 186,440,000G . Since the requirement to achieve a Rank A mansion in PAL regions is higher than the amount of money in the normal mansion, it is necessary to play through the hidden mansion to receive Rank A in those regions.
*45 rather than 40 Boos are required to fight the final boss.
*Boos are, in general, more agile and difficult to catch.
*Five, rather than three ghosts each, fight Luigi in The Artist's Studio.

Baby Luigi said:
According to MarioWiki:

*The PAL Hidden Mansion is mirrored from left to right when compared to the Normal Mansion. The NTSC version keeps the layout the same.
*There are more normal ghosts around the mansion.
*Bosses are more difficult, having different attacks. (Chauncey's rocking horses, for example, are much bigger, and swerve left to right instead of going straight). A major change in the Boolossus battle is that the player rides around on the vacuum cleaner while trying to pop Boolossus, making movement more slippery.
*Rooms are much darker in the PAL version; this, however, is only as dark as in the NTSC version of both mansions, the normal PAL mansion being lighter.
*Most Boos have more HP in the PAL version, although some have less.
*Fewer hearts. Locations that have hearts in the Normal Mansion do not have them. Hearts that heal 50 HP exist in the Courtyard by vacuuming the Slim Banskshot-like statue.
*Speedy Spirits and Gold Mice always give up a Silver Diamond when caught, raising the maximum possible amount of money from 142,390,000G to 186,440,000G . Since the requirement to achieve a Rank A mansion in PAL regions is higher than the amount of money in the normal mansion, it is necessary to play through the hidden mansion to receive Rank A in those regions.
*45 rather than 40 Boos are required to fight the final boss.
*Boos are, in general, more agile and difficult to catch.
*Five, rather than three ghosts each, fight Luigi in The Artist's Studio.
Oh man! Why on earth didn't the Americas get that?! Is there anyway to play that version if you live in the United States???????????

I think there is. You can buy a PAL version online (I think GameCubes aren't region locked but I'm not 100% sure). But otherwise, you have to travel to the PAL countries in order to get a copy

Back