17-year-old unarmed black teen shot by "neighborhood guardian"

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
Does anyone here think that Zimmerman should get the death penalty?

If he's convicted, and more evidence come out that it was racially driven, then sure. I'm all for the death penalty.

If this was a simple accident and more along the lines of manslaughter then no, death penalty would not be justified.

Okay, I just saw this report on Nightline, and I feel like I'm glad I'm actually already "in the know" when I watch these reports. But this report actually had something I didn't know about before. Apparently, there's a law that justifies deadly force as self-defense or something in Florida.

...That... is *bleep*ed up.

I mean, HOW could they even THINK of passing a law like that? A law like that has "abuse" and "loopholes" written all over it! A guy could give me a dirty look, or disagree with me on something, and I could totally justify murdering him under a law like that!

Well, anyway, I'm glad this incident is getting a lot of headway and hopefully it'll change things for the better in that state.

Even if the law is changed, there's a clause in the Constitution somewhere that states that someone can't be tried for a crime they committed before a law prohibiting it was enacted.

So, he's still not guilty by that logic.

Sanford commission votes no confidence in police chief:

http://www.wtkr.com/news/nationworld/os-trayvon-martin-sanford-commission-20120321,0,3173413.story

Also, Dr. Javelin, I respect how open-minded you are of this whole thing.

As more info comes out, it seems like Zimmerman initially saw Martin as suspicious but had no intention of shooting him. He followed Martin; Martin saw that he was being followed and that his follower had a gun; Martin freaked out and tackled Zimmerman or something because he thought Zimmerman was going to kill him; Zimmerman shot him.

So it seems like racism was involved (Martin wasn't doing anything suspicious) but that the shooting itself was caused merely by panic.

Cue the disgusting scum of the earth in the Yahoo news comment section blabbering on about how white people are sooo victimized and that this proves that Martin was an evil thug and that Zimmerman was a wonderful person and the elite liberal media are persecuting him and black people are inherently inferior to white people.

wait a second

not trying to be racist at all here, but I thought Hispanics were a separate ethnic group than whites/Caucasians.

So...how was this event turned into an attack on whites?

Anyways, this whole turn of events really doesn't place the blame on either party - Zimmerman was a bit too paranoid by following Martin, Martin overreacted (he didn't know Zimmerman wasn't going to kill him, just like Zimmerman didn't know Martin was unarmed), and the whole thing ended up horribly wrong.

I don't know, Zimmerman should be charged with whatever happens when you kill someone in a car accident (I think it's manslaughter?) but not with murder. However, according to Florida law he's innocent, so...

Also, I heard that the Black Panthers placed a bounty of $10,000,000 on Zimmerman's head, so he's probably going to vanish like Casey Anthony. Good thing our government has the Witness Protection Agency and stuff like that.

Dr. Javelin said:
wait a second

not trying to be racist at all here, but I thought Hispanics were a separate ethnic group than whites/Caucasians.

So...how was this event turned into an attack on whites?
1. Saying that hispanics are a different race from caucasians isn't racist at all. :P
2. Well, the people I was talking about are stupid in ways that the rest of us can't fully comprehend, so they probably didn't think it through.

Nosferatu Man said:
2. Well, the people I was talking about are stupid in ways that the rest of us can't fully comprehend, so they probably didn't think it through.
Point taken.

I always fail to underestimate the extent of the average American's stupidity.

People like Zimmerman makes me, as a white person, feel so ashamed. It's horrible how there are people who act as if they still live in the 1950s-1960s.

Ornithologist Mario said:
People like Zimmerman makes me, as a white person, feel so ashamed. It's horrible how there are people who act as if they still live in the 1950s-1960s.

Well, that's an unfair statement, since not everyone in those decades was racially-motivated/biased or had a less-than-desirable reputation.

Mario4Ever said:

Well, that's an unfair statement, since not everyone in those decades was racially-motivated/biased or had a less-than-desirable reputation.

I don't think she was intentionally making it sound unfair. I know you might get what she means by this

Mario4Ever said:

I am aware that there are so many white people hate racism with a passion (abolitionists, for example). However, there are other people who make me feel ashamed that they even exist. Black racism is a despicable, ruthless atrocity, and I wish it has never existed.

The guy's nose was broken and there was a huge gash on the back of his head. He was following Martin, but was getting back into his car at one point. Trayvon walked up to him and asked him if he had a problem. Zimmerman said no. He said "Well now you do!" and knocked him to the ground, beating him senceless. Self defense.

Whoever it was who said that Trayvon was much smaller than Zimmerman: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin <<says otherwise if you read the boxes with their pictures. It seems as though the media is only showing pictures of when Trayvon was 12 years old! Why not what he looks like now?! Trying to instill sympathy against the "villain" George?

Mario4Ever said:

I am aware that there are so many white people hate racism with a passion (abolitionists, for example). However, there are other people who make me feel ashamed that they even exist. Black racism is a despicable, ruthless atrocity, and I wish it has never existed.

I understand your point. The wording was just unclear to me.

Zimmerman was hispanic, not white, and information has come out that would indicate he was just stupid, not malicious.

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
Whoever it was who said that Trayvon was much smaller than Zimmerman: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin <<says otherwise if you read the boxes with their pictures. It seems as though the media is only showing pictures of when Trayvon was 12 years old! Why not what he looks like now?! Trying to instill sympathy against the "villain" George?

awww, look at you, brave defender of freedom against the librul media

you're adorable

Nosferatu Man said:

Zimmerman was hispanic, not white, and information has come out that would indicate he was just stupid, not malicious.

Oops. :-[ I still hate how this happened. The bigotry in this incident is incredible.

Nosferatu Man said:

Oops. :-[ I still hate how this happened. The bigotry in this incident is incredible.
I believe he's half white also I saw Anderson Cooper Interview a member of the New Black Panther Party about this and it was fucking brilliant

Crazy Jane said:
the New Black Panther Party

as long as we're talking about the Black Panthers...

I'm as liberal as they come but frankly putting out a bounty on Zimmerman was wrong and insanely hypocritical on the part of the Black Panther Party. All signs indicate that Zimmerman was just a dumbass; killing or capturing him or whatever is not only utterly immoral but it makes him into a martyr for racists everywhere- "see what the evil black people did?"

Okay, apparently this is like 2-4 weeks old, but I just found out about it and...

What impeccable timing.

Edit:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/trayvon-martin-case-exclusive-surveillance-video-george-zimmerman/story?id=16022897#.T3SpvNWg271

"A police surveillance video taken the night that Trayvon Martin was shot dead shows no blood or bruises on George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch captain who says he shot Martin after he was punched in the nose, knocked down and had his head slammed into the ground."

Uh... huh. :-\

Smashgoom202 said:
Okay, apparently this is like 2-4 weeks old, but I just found out about it and...

What impeccable timing.

Edit:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/trayvon-martin-case-exclusive-surveillance-video-george-zimmerman/story?id=16022897#.T3SpvNWg271

"A police surveillance video taken the night that Trayvon Martin was shot dead shows no blood or bruises on George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch captain who says he shot Martin after he was punched in the nose, knocked down and had his head slammed into the ground."

Uh... huh. :-\

...this is pretty solid proof that Zimmerman and the witnesses are full of shit. Why is this not being reported?

Back