17-year-old unarmed black teen shot by "neighborhood guardian"

The Department of Justice and the FBI are now involved:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fbi-justice-department-investigate-trayvon-martin-killing/story?id=15955985#.T2jJetW6i71

Also, Zimmerman's excuse side of the story:

Zimmerman said he had stepped out of his truck to check the name of the street he was on when Trayvon attacked him from behind as he walked back to his truck, police said. He said he feared for his life and fired the semiautomatic handgun he was licensed to carry because he feared for his life.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/19/2703029/us-department-of-justice-fbi-and.html#storylink=cpy

Hopefully, the FBI will clear things up and have justice PROPERLY served.

Mason said:
Signed the petition.

Same, it's disgusting that this guy is getting away with this.

@Smashgoom

Wow, that's a poor ass excuse.

I looked up some info about this situation at school during my lunch period and if my memory is right, Zimmerman saw the kid, chased him, cornered him, and then did the deed. Does that sound like self-defense to you guys? Yeah, I know, stupid rhetorical question is stupid.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/trayvon-martin-attorney-press-conference-phone-logs-completely-connect-the-dots/

Trayvon was on the phone when he was attacked and the logs kinda give insight to what happened. Trayvon was trying to get away from him, and Zimmerman followed and attacked first.

Now in face of all of that, it now makes the police look even WORSE for taking Zimmerman's side. Granted, they probably wanted more evidence to be sure, but still, given the situation and that this kid was unarmed and not calling for trouble, it still makes them look bad.

I think we should withold judgement until we hear all sides of the story and get all the details.

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
I think we should withold judgement until we hear all sides of the story and get all the details.
We HAVE heard all sides of the story. We've heard Simmerman's lies, and we've seen proof disproving them.

Smashgoom202 said:
We HAVE heard all sides of the story. We've heard Simmerman's lies, and we've seen proof disproving them.
In the USA, there is a presumption of innocence until proven guilty by a jury of your peers. A jury of mixed races and gender will decide the man's fate.

Mason said:
He needs to be brought to court in order for that to happen.
Are you insinuating this ain't not go to trial?

I'm not insinuating anything. Their police department has refused to bring it to court.

OP Link said:
It's been nearly two weeks and the Sanford Police have refused to arrest George Zimmerman. In their public statements, they even go so far as to stand up for the killer - saying he's "a college grad" who took a class in criminal justice.

Mason said:
I'm not insinuating anything. Their police department has refused to bring it to court.

OP Link said:
It's been nearly two weeks and the Sanford Police have refused to arrest George Zimmerman. In their public statements, they even go so far as to stand up for the killer - saying he's "a college grad" who took a class in criminal justice.
On the grounds of self-defense?

Does anyone here think that Zimmerman should get the death penalty?

In the USA, there is a presumption of innocence until proven guilty by a jury of your peers. A jury of mixed races and gender will decide the man's fate.
Exactly. It's "innocent until proven guilty", not "guilty until proven innocent".

I have seen no certain evidence to either confirm or deny that it was racially driven, so therefore I will err that he's innocent until evidence proves otherwise.

Dr. Javelin said:
I have seen no certain evidence to either confirm or deny that it was racially driven, so therefore I will err that he's innocent until evidence proves otherwise.
I'll take it that you didn't watch the video that Smashgoom posted? In that video, there was a clip where Zimmerman clearly said "fucking coon".

Smashgoom202 said:

But we're not the judge or jury. There could be other info we haven't heard; there could be info that we've heard that will be excluded as evidence. There's a big problem with high-profile court cases because the public always chooses what the correct answer is, and not what's lawfully decided upon. Look at the Casey Anthony case--she was shown to be not guilty of killing her kid, but everyone is still running around trying to find her so they can kill her themself.

Baby Luigi said:
Unfortunately, stupid people exist and stupid people will do stupid things. Maybe this is a reminder to all the dumb people out there to not do stuff like this (but of course, some idiots won't listen).

Uh, how the hell is this a reminder for them to not do things like this? Seems the moral is "Shoot a black kid in Florida and you won't get punished."

Dr. Javelin said:
Smashgoom202 said:
GreenDisaster said:
I hate to sound like a horrible person, but this kind of stuff has already happened, and it's going to happen again. Remember Amadou Diallo?
Well, then, why don't we, oh, I don't know, TRY AND STOP IT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN?! I hate how we've been desensitized to this crap, this sort of thing shouldn't be the norm!
I hate to ruin your idealistic crusade

but things like this are always going to happen, whether we like it or not.

Unless you have a method of controlling the actions of every single person in America, that is.

I hate to ruin your cynical douchebaggery

but even if things like that are always going to happen

we can try to make them happen less. What a novel idea!

There's a Cracked article, I can't find it at the moment, about various unpleasant things people do to make themselves look cool. Among them is 'pretending that horrible things don't phase you and acting like everyone else who's upset by it is a naive idiot.' I thought that kind of applied here.

Hypnotoad said:
Smashgoom202 said:

But we're not the judge or jury. There could be other info we haven't heard; there could be info that we've heard that will be excluded as evidence. There's a big problem with high-profile court cases because the public always chooses what the correct answer is, and not what's lawfully decided upon. Look at the Casey Anthony case--she was shown to be not guilty of killing her kid, but everyone is still running around trying to find her so they can kill her themself.

Hate to break it to you, but the law is full of shit.

Solar Blaze said:
Dr. Javelin said:
I'll take it that you didn't watch the video that Smashgoom posted? In that video, there was a clip where Zimmerman clearly said "fucking coon".

Oh, uh, uh, he was talking about raccoons! Really! Uh, definitely.

Mason said:

OP Link said:

That's not fucking suspicious or anything! It's not like Florida is a notoriously racist place where the police are corrupt as fuck and wouldn't want the killer of a black kid to be punished.

Nosferatu Man said:
There's a Cracked article, I can't find it at the moment, about various unpleasant things people do to make themselves look cool. Among them is 'pretending that horrible things don't phase you and acting like everyone else who's upset by it is a naive idiot.' I thought that kind of applied here.
Shall I quote myself earlier where I said that this is a tragedy?

Nosferatu Man said:
we can try to make them happen less. What a novel idea!
I think I already covered this one too.
Dr. Javelin said:
I'm not saying that our efforts won't have any effect, but it's just not possible to remove all instances of crime and such. I mean, accidents happen.

Also, responding to Hypnotoad

are you saying that whatever the public decides is more important than what the law decides?

That means that Nikki Haley should get lynched here in SC; more people dislike her than support her.

The law has to be the ultimate authority, even though you may disagree with it.

Dr. Javelin said:

So if (hypothetically) a law was passed making it mandatory to kill mentally retarded people in order to graduate from high school, you would obey it?

Dr. Javelin said:

Bullshit. "When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

The people are the ultimate authority, and if they think that a law is unjust, they have the right to resist it.

Nosferatu Man said:
Baby Luigi said:
Unfortunately, stupid people exist and stupid people will do stupid things. Maybe this is a reminder to all the dumb people out there to not do stuff like this (but of course, some idiots won't listen).

Uh, how the hell is this a reminder for them to not do things like this? Seems the moral is "Shoot a black kid in Florida and you won't get punished."

I was assuming he would get a harsh penalty before he was deemed "innocent".

But he doesn't deserve to be innocent. Not at all.

Nosferatu Man said:
Dr. Javelin said:

So if (hypothetically) a law was passed making it mandatory to kill mentally retarded people in order to graduate from high school, you would obey it?
No, I'm saying that although the people may want something, if it transgresses on the rights of others then the law must be upheld. We can't just toss aside the entire legal system because we believe it decided incorrectly. We only have the moral right to break the law if it is morally right to do so. Until then, we just have to trust in the legal system because it's one of the only ways to keep society civilized.

Back