17-year-old unarmed black teen shot by "neighborhood guardian"

I've been contemplating on whether or not to get into this, because I really don't want to talk about this case anymore, but after finding this out, I felt like getting into it, if only a little:

That is, he's never going to perform in Florida again until the "Stand Your Ground" law is abolished:

That's how I feel it ties into the "bigger picture". It's not just one kid that died, it part of a bigger problem in the US; the "Stand Your Ground" law is supported in 31 states and counting, and it's not a very helpful law; it kills more people then truly reducing crime. Some COULD say that this means less likely to commit crimes, but given what's happened here, I don't know, I see it as a law that can easily be abused. I'm no expert in the law or politics or policies, but from the standpoint of an average (apparently uninformed :( ) American citizen, I think we can do better. Just maybe...

And THAT is why I think something like this matters. To some, it might just be another kid dying. To others, it's another good example of a bigger issue worth discussing.

...Ironically, I feel ill-equipped to discuss it myself, since I apparently have such a lack of knowledge in the area, and any attempts in entering such a discussion only leaves me feeling like an idiot.

The stand your ground law (at least in LA) is not so you can go shooting people in the streets if you feel threatened, it's so that you can shoot the man who comes to your door pointing a shotgun at it. You're right, Smashgoom, it is easily abused. But it is extremely helpful and by far has the potential to save more lives than endanger them.

Viridi said:
what exactly the united states government is willing to do to catch snowden

people actually care about snowden's location?

Quarters said:
The stand your ground law (at least in LA) is not so you can go shooting people in the streets if you feel threatened, it's so that you can shoot the man who comes to your door pointing a shotgun at it. You're right, Smashgoom, it is easily abused. But it is extremely helpful and by far has the potential to save more lives than endanger them.
Did Trayvon Martin have a shotgun? The whole "looked suspicious" business is so questionable and ambiguous that I feel it hardly justifies killing him, even if Trayvon did attack Zimmerman when Zimmerman followed him.

Smashgoom202 said:
Quarters said:
Did Trayvon Martin have a shotgun? The whole "looked suspicious" business is so questionable and ambiguous that I feel it hardly justifies killing him, even if Trayvon did attack Zimmerman when Zimmerman followed him.

I'm defending the stand your ground law, not George Zimmerman.

Quarters said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Quarters said:

I'm defending the stand your ground law, not George Zimmerman.
Well in that case, I supposed we'll just have to agree to disagree at this point.

Back