Melee vs. Brawl

Contra(dictory)

also I hang out here, I guess
Which entry in the Super Smash Bros. series do you prefer? I'll go ahead and state my opinion.

Melee:
Why?: Melee's gameplay is fast, balanced, and more complex in comparison to Brawl's. I may sound like a fanboy, but if you play the games back-to-back, you'll really see the difference- and, personally, I enjoy Melee's "fighting game" philosophy more than I enjoy Brawl's "party game".
You don't hate the other one, do you?: Of course not. Brawl was Solid FUCKING Snake, Sonic The Hedgehog, and tons more new characters and stages. It has more music and a decent (if not repetitive) Adventure Mode, though when it comes to that last, I highly prefer Melee's.

I've said it many times before. And I don't feel the need to go explaining it further.

I prefer Brawl for both content and personal reasons. Both games have their Pros and Cons, but I just haven't touched Melee since I got Brawl.

I'm also waiting for SSB4 to blow both out of the Water.

I'm personally hoping SSB4 will have gameplay as good as Melee's and content as huge as Brawl's. That would be my dream Smash Bros. game.

Tabuu, I would have assumed Brawl would be your favorite considering your namesake.

My favorite is personally Brawl, but only because it introduced so many new elements that improved the game that it's hard to go back. Brawl also has (as far as I can tell) less "hardcore" techniques that you have to master to be good, like wavedashing. Which I could never get the hang of in Melee.

Both are overall fantastic games, but I preferred Brawl. It was just an overall better game IMHO.

Smasher said:
Both are overall fantastic games, but I preferred Brawl. It was just an overall better game IMHO.

Adding to that, I think it is one of the few games in the Wii library that has actually pushed the console to its limits in terms of game content and graphics.

Melee's CPUs are much easier than Brawl's. At least they don't spam shield grabs.

In terms of game speed, Brawl's is more bearable, since Melee is too fast for my tastes.

I preferred Brawl. More content, less gravity, better dodging and was more enjoyable overall IMHO.

>Content
Okay, that's true.

>Less gravity
Because floaty physics in a fighting game is a good thing

>Better dodging
You mean infinite amounts of time to dodge in midair (which means you don't have to strategically conserve them) instead of just once? The one in Melee actually bought you upward a little and let you catch items- which, if you knew what you were doing, was very useful.

Regardless, this is your opinion.

Don't Fear said:
>Better dodging
You mean infinite amounts of time to dodge in midair (which means you don't have to strategically conserve them) instead of just once? The one in Melee actually bought you upward a little and let you catch items- which, if you knew what you were doing, was very useful.
Well, the Melee air dodge also put you into that "stun fall" thing like after you use a recovery, whereas the Brawl air dodge, you could dodge and recover.

I prefer Brawl for a few reasons

1. The majority of the new characters in Brawl are actually characters to keep.
2. Personally the way the tournaments are done is much preferred to Melees.
3. The story mode is actually well.. a story.
4. Brawl has more and much better Gameplay modes.
5. The addition of smash balls.
6. The replacement of Ike to Roy
7. The replacement of Mewtwo being Lucario
8. The addition of characters like Wario and Pokemon Trauner
9. The ability to have working dodges
10. Stage Builder.
11. Boss battles
12. Multi-Man Brawl
13. Better Music
14. Added stages like Spear pillar, Norfair, and The Halberd.
15. The ability to play stages from Melee.
16. The new color changes.
17. Ability to jump extra high even with heavy characters like Donkey Kong.
18. Better taunts.
19. Extra speed Bowser
20. Assist trophies.
21. And finally.... RESETTI!!

YoshiMonsta said:
The replacement of Mewtwo being Lucario
Mewtwo: What do you have that I don't?
Lucario: BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS!
Mewtwo: And?
Lucario: The aura!
Lucario: Your mom!

I personally like each one, they're special in their own way.

Don't Fear said:
>Less gravity
I didn't like how fast you fell in Melee since it made it harder to recover :p

Also another thing I like in brawl is that you don't have to face forward to grab the edge so you could grab the edge backwards :p (unless your character's recovery is Kirby's or Peach's)

Yoshi8984 said:
Don't Fear said:
>Less gravity
I didn't like how fast you fell in Melee since it made it harder to recover :p

Also another thing I like in brawl is that you don't have to face forward to grab the edge so you could grab the edge backwards :p (unless your character's recovery is Kirby's or Peach's)
The faster falling allowed for combos and it made it where you had to react quickly if you fell off a ledge.

Drillbur said:
YoshiMonsta said:
The replacement of Mewtwo being Lucario
Mewtwo: What do you have that I don't?
Lucario: BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS!
Lucario: The aura!
Lucario: Your mom!

I personally like each one, they're special in their own way.

Well, Lucario is good for the transition for his, well, idea, being the first ever fighting type in SSB worked well; also the fact that he is no a legendary, he is just a strong Pokemon.

Brawl because of when I was playing it at my friend's house and was in the tourney mode watching a level 6 Olimar owning a level 8 Bowser. Olimar took no damage!

Brawl mainly because of less clones (there were still a few, but less), favorable music, epic stages, and an actual story in Adventure Mode. Not to mention actual bosses and the introduction of Assist Trophies and third-party characters! Melee's only advantages in my opinion were more balanced move-sets and stats for characters and a more favorable opening. I would've preferred entirely new and unused scenes in the opening like Melee rather than pasted gameplay and story scenes.

Professor Mario said:
Melee's only advantages in my opinion were more balanced molests and stats for characters and a more favorable opening.

... :???:

Meta Knight and Pit have broken molests.

I asked my cousin which one he liked better, he said Brawl. I asked him why, and he said "it has better graphics and more characters".

Back