Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Shy Guy

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Kamek

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters
New Super Yoshi said:
Ornithologist Mario said:
Mario and Shy Guy, hypothetically. Otherwise, this game isn't for me.
BLOF said that you said that Shy Guy should not be playable.

Why do you two care so much about character rosters, why would you just not get a game because of it's roster.

Well, I've only seen BLOF not want to buy a game because of its roster myself (downloading MP9 instead of buying).

Mario and Luigi are my mains, but I also use Peach and Yoshi ^_^.

New Super Yoshi said:

Why do you two care so much about character rosters, why would you just not get a game because of it's roster.

Because a new game offering less content than a previous entry SHOULDN´T BE.

A smaller roster might be excusable if the game doesn´t also excise game modes, customisable options, gameplay variety and many other factors that might round a game depending on it´s genre.

Now, it´s true we don´t need to be so strict or else we would not enjoy any games if we focus on pointing flaws, but, speaking for myself, you gotta understand that any fan who has grown with the series (I´m 24) can get tired of the constant "we´ll get rid of actual characters and place in generics more recognizable to the general public" even though business wise it might be more or less justified.

Now, rotating the roster and have some characters switch roles from time to time (like Bowser Jr being playable or a boss depending on the game) while adding a few one timers helps keeping things fresh. But then again, some characters have been out for quite a few games. Granted, speaking about Mario, "quite a few games" means just one or two years due to Nintendo spamming Mario games like mad.

But can't you just play the game for what it is? You're bound to like at least one of these characters. Shy Guy and Kamek were put in so that they'd be Bowsers minions in story mode, so that clears up that.

And they might 'spam' Mario games like mad, which I haven't really noticed at all, but money is money, that's what a business wants and these games do a good job of getting it.

Probably Luigi, Daisy, and Kamek.

Waluigi assuming he's in.

Also yeah I can't really understand the whole GAME HAS NO SUITABLE ROSTER? I QUIT

I mean if it was like, massive differences for each character, I could understand, but not for a game series like mario party.

Unless they actually started changing the game since 7(in terms of characters).

And they might 'spam' Mario games like mad, which I haven't really noticed at all, but money is money, that's what a business wants and these games do a good job of getting it.

Well you gotta admit there are a lot of mario games, especially in the spinoff section.

But the whole idea is spamming is fans wanting more games that revolve around the platforming idea of Mario, rather than just party games.

New Super Yoshi said:

The roster is a BIG part of the game. If there was only four characters playable, then most people would complain and it would be a very boring game. I like Shy Guy, but he's not the best addition and there are better candidates.

Besides, I'm not getting Mario Party 9 for a combination of reasons. No 2 vs 2, luck-based crap on boards, no duel, bad item system, no co-op mode, stupid car, watered-down battle wages, Kamek, etc.

Zae said:
Probably Luigi, Daisy, and Kamek.

Waluigi assuming he's in.

Also yeah I can't really understand the whole GAME HAS NO SUITABLE ROSTER? I QUIT

I mean if it was like, massive differences for each character, I could understand, but not for a game series like mario party.

Unless they actually started changing the game since 7(in terms of characters).

Well you gotta admit there are a lot of mario games, especially in the spinoff section.

But the whole idea is spamming is fans wanting more games that revolve around the platforming idea of Mario, rather than just party games.

But they still buy those spin off games even though they want platformers. I kind of prefer spin offs sometimes over platformers. Don't know why. Maybe it's because I grew up with spin offs like Mario Tennis and Mario Party 3.

I think spinoffs last much longer than platformers. But that's saying from a girl with an identical twin. :)

New Super Yoshi said:

The roster is a BIG part of the game. If there was only four characters playable, then most people would complain and it would be a very boring game. I like Shy Guy, but he's not the best addition and there are better candidates.

Besides, I'm not getting Mario Party 9 for a combination of reasons. No 2 vs 2, luck-based crap on boards, no duel, bad item system, no co-op mode, stupid car, watered-down battle wages, Kamek, etc.
Firstly, Mario Party 9 is not more luck based than other Mario Party Games, I am a bit disappointed in the lack 2 VS 2 but I don't mind it that much. The Car mode actually is quite interesting and fun.

New Super Yoshi said:
Firstly, Mario Party 9 is not more luck based than other Mario Party Games, I am a bit disappointed in the lack 2 VS 2 but I don't mind it that much. The Car mode actually is quite interesting and fun.

Actually, I've heard that the boards have a lot more luck involved in this game. I mentioned, "luck-based crap on boards" or something like that.

I have to agree, this game is shit tons of luck. If you roll too low, a boo or sushie gets you. Roll to high and a bob-OMB might blow up on you and you're screwed.

Very luck based. You can be doing amazing one turn, winning by 30, then be losing with hardly anything the next.

My main complaint about Mario Party 9's Board Gameplay is that it basically expands on the concept of this one mini-game that was in MP2 and makes it the big gameplay of all the boards. I'm talking about the one game with the beehives and the fruit. While in some ways that was less luck-based you can get screwed many times by being forced into getting the beehive. Similarly in MP9. you can get unlucky and run into a Ztar or get too short to get the Stars and someone else who you didn't want to get the Stars gets them instead. I find that really annoying as the only possible strategy is hoping you get the right rolls at the right time. When movement was still done individually, you can concoct a plan to try to win but in MP9 the linear course plus you all move with eachother can easily foil any possible plans.

The best part of the game is easily the Mini-Games. Which are an improvement over MP8's. And luckily most of them are already playable and you're not forced to unlock them all by playing the boards for the exception of the Boss minigames.

Northern Verve said:
My main complaint about Mario Party 9's Board Gameplay is that it basically expands on the concept of this one mini-game that was in MP2 and makes it the big gameplay of all the boards. I'm talking about the one game with the beehives and the fruit. While in some ways that was less luck-based you can get screwed many times by being forced into getting the beehive. Similarly in MP9. you can get unlucky and run into a Ztar or get too short to get the Stars and someone else who you didn't want to get the Stars gets them instead. I find that really annoying as the only possible strategy is hoping you get the right rolls at the right time. When movement was still done individually, you can concoct a plan to try to win but in MP9 the linear course plus you all move with eachother can easily foil any possible plans.

The best part of the game is easily the Mini-Games. Which are an improvement over MP8's. And luckily most of them are already playable and you're not forced to unlock them all by playing the boards for the exception of the Boss minigames.
Most people just like the M&P's for there mini-games anyway.

Here's the skill in Mario Party 9:

Picking which minigame to play
Playing the Minigames
Choosing which Dice Block to use
The Boss Minigames
Battle for Half of your Mini-Stars
If your Captain in the Captain events

Now here's the luck:
The luck of the Dice roll
How much you roll in lucky and unlucky areas
Some Minigames
Bowsers Spin wheel
If your not the Captain in Captain events

So I found more skill elements than Luck, but the Luck elements happen more often.

Back