Mario & Luigi Fourth Installment Ideas

How would you like the fourth Mario & Luigi installment to act like?

• Keep sprites and stay on handhelds

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Gain 3D graphics, but stay on handhelds

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Keep sprites, but go on consoles

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Gain 3D graphics and become playable on consoles

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

Super Mario the Hedgehog

...I've been looking forward to it.
Basically, we've known the Mario & Luigi series to be on handhelds, are 2D, and use sprites. This has been the pattern for its installments on the Game Boy and Nintendo DS. But now, I ask you. Since the 3DS has a graphics engine comparable to a console and is capable of fully 3D graphics and 3D vision, would you like the fourth installment to direct a new approach and introduce 3D polygon graphics like the Paper Mario series? Also, one other question. As you are well aware of, the fourth Paper Mario installment has crossed over to a handheld for the first time and this gives me hope that there will also be another title announced for Wii U since they do one title per console. and we only get one installment per gaming generation. Would you like the fourth Mario & Luigi installment to take a similar approach and be put on a home console for a change, specifically the Wii U?

Explain your thoughts.

Re: Mario & Luigi Fourth Installment Console Placement and Graphics

Off-topic: The poll allows to pick all options.

On-topic: I honestly don't care.

I'd rather a New Paper Mario using a battle system like TTYD's.

Also, I was never a big M&L fan so I don't really care either. Let the makes handle the decision.

Also, this is in the wrong board?

The admins have told people this a million times: Handheld Mario topics go in the Marioverse.
On-topic: I'd like for it to be on the 3DS, and have Waluigi in it.

Marioverse? I thought I posted it in the Handheld section...
I'm such an idiot.

I would prefer it would stay on the handheld and kept its sprites. I feel a change to 3D models would kinda ruin the art style.

a mix of 3D and 2D

Svetlana said:
Off-topic: The poll allows to pick all options.

On-topic: I honestly don't care.
Maybe that's because you may prefer more than one style.

Since the next Paper Mario is on a handheld. I'd like the next Mario and Luigi to be on a console.

Buster Baxter said:
Since the next Paper Mario is on a handheld. I'd like the next Mario and Luigi to be on a console.
Yeah, kind of mix things up.

I think, if it's for the Wii u, you should be able to view the map of the area on the bottom screen, and if the TV is switched, the entire game is shifted to the bottom screen and you can view the map via the Star Menu or whatever.

Also, if we got Bowser from the last, let's get Peach sidequests and MOAR Bowser. Bowser gets all-new moves, and you can switch from the Bros. to Bowser by going to certain areas and hitting special blocks. While Bowser tries to get some jewels to help take over the world, the Bros face a new villain. Later in the game, they collide and are forced to join forces to stop the villain. They can split up though.

If all three do get together, we have to have the SS bro-switch feature where you can put Luigi in the front so the Bros. and Bowser can switch between each other to break obstacles and progress.

I'll list some of Bowser's attacks I want him to have:
-Koopa Blast: On the bottom screen, many shells come up. You have to flick the shells on the bottom screen with your finger and make them fly into the enemy on the big screen.
-Boomerang Barrage: A cursor flies across the screen. Press A/B/X whatever when the cursor is lined up with the enemy(s), and a boomerang flies into the targets, and comes back for another strike. Every time it's executed perfectly, the cursor gets faster and faster, but more boomerangs hit for more damage. This is eventually stopped automatically for obvious reasons.

also popple should come back.

Pyro, it's called Mario and Luigi for a reason. Also, IMO Yoshi should be in the next one instead of Peach. From Gamecube to the early Wii, Yoshi's been absent for pretty much everything except for the spin-offs.

Buster Baxter said:
Pyro, it's called Mario and Luigi for a reason. Also, IMO Yoshi should be in the next one instead of Peach. From Gamecube to the early Wii, Yoshi's been absent for pretty much everything except for the spin-offs.
I'm collectively referring them as "the bros.".

Or, if you're talking about MOAR BOWSER, I'm just making suggestions if playable Bowser comes back.

I was referring to the Peach sidequests.

Even though I liked being able to control Bowser in BIS, I don't think it should be used again because like I said, the series is supposed to be for the Mario Bros. If more characters become playable or if Bowser resumes his playability, it wouldn't really be Mario and Luigi anymore and the whole series might need a completley new name.

Buster Baxter said:
I was referring to the Peach sidequests.

Even though I liked being able to control Bowser in BIS, I don't think it should be used again because like I said, the series is supposed to be for the Mario Bros. If more characters become playable or if Bowser resumes his playability, it wouldn't really be Mario and Luigi anymore and the whole series might need a completley new name.
I agree. I'd like for the next installment to have Yoshi like you said or even Wario and Waluigi playable. (But we all know the latter's never going to happen because Nintendo's too stubborn to enhance their supporting character roles.)

I would really want Baby Mario and Baby Luigi to at least be there in the next game, whether playable or not.

Baby Luigi said:
I would really want Baby Mario and Baby Luigi to at least be there in the next game, whether playable or not.
A cameo or even as main characters would be nice, but I'd prefer if each installment's additional playable characters were all different. It would help give each entry it's own identity and unique gameplay-style.

Super Mario the Hedgehog said:
Baby Luigi said:
A cameo or even as main characters would be nice, but I'd prefer if each installment's additional playable characters were all different. It would help give each entry it's own identity and unique gameplay-style.

Well, all I was asking for is a cameo. I always love the sprite style the game has.

I Would like to be 3D

How about 3D sprites?

I.e., like New Super Mario Bros (DS)?

Peter Sam said:
How about 3D sprites?

I.e., like New Super Mario Bros (DS)?

They're still sprites, but I still like the current M&L style. It's just really unique.

Can we talk about the plot?

I want one of those mirror universe plots where the good guys are evil and the villains are good. I know others have done that kind of plot before, but still.

Buster Baxter said:
Can we talk about the plot?

I want one of those mirror universe plots where the good guys are evil and the villains are good. I know others have done that kind of plot before, but still.

But won't this game star Mario and Luigi anyway?

Yeah, the player still plays as the same Mario and Luig that we all know and love, but the setting is different and the mirror counterpart heroes are the main villains.

Interesting idea. Like, a parallel evil Mario and Luigi are bad guys while a parallel Bowser, Fawful, etc. are the good guys?

Back