Mario & Luigi Fourth Installment Ideas

How would you like the fourth Mario & Luigi installment to act like?

• Keep sprites and stay on handhelds

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Gain 3D graphics, but stay on handhelds

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Keep sprites, but go on consoles

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Gain 3D graphics and become playable on consoles

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
Re: Mario & Luigi Fourth Installment Console Placement and Graphics

Since this is the fourth installment, we should get two more characters to star along with Mario and Luigi, like how

Superstar Saga: Mario and Luigi (first installment, the two stars, duh
Partners in Time: Baby Mario and Baby Luigi (basically a copy of Mario and Luigi, but in baby forms. Ugh I can't believe I said that)
Bowser's Inside Story: Bowser (he's the third protagonist of the story)

I was thinking Waluigi and Wario. They would be PERFECT.

I was thinking Yoshi, DK, Peach, or Daisy.

After all, Wario and Waluigi aren't exactly heroes and they're not really known for their loyalty. *coughMarioSuperSluggerscough*

Maybe Toad and Toadette? The reason I said Toadette because she definitely needs to star in a game for once.

I like Toadette too. I think Toad and Toadette, next to Waluigi and Wario, would be awesome main characters with Mario and Luigi in the 4th game. Peach and Daisy isn't a bad idea either!

As much as I hate Yoshi, he's not a bad idea for a partner either.

You know what I really want? A Mario RPG with all 8 main characters playable with Daisy, Toadette, Toadsworth, Bowser Jr. and Waluigi playing some supporting roles. The only problem is coming up with a plot that would require all 8 main characters to work together specifically Wario and DK.

No, no 3D. I really don't like the 3D, nor the idea of the 3DS (heck, I'm not so keen on the DS either). But I do hope they make another game. I've only played Superstar Sega, but it is in my all-time top 10 favorite games.

Buster Baxter said:
I was thinking Yoshi, DK, Peach, or Daisy.

After all, Wario and Waluigi aren't exactly heroes and they're not really known for their loyalty. *coughMarioSuperSluggerscough*
Peach? You know, I think I'd actually like that as it would introduce unique gameplay with hovering with your parasol and stuff along with a bunch of jokes about how she's a princess and always gets captured! It's genius! And I also think Yoshi would do quite nicely.

But I happen to think Wario and Waluigi would be comedy gold! Imagine this, they're hired to retrieve some rare and unknown treasure by an anonymous client, but plan to take it for themselves. Once they've found some clue as to where it is like a map and after he hears Wario and Waluigi bickering so much through the communicator, he decides to swoop in and take it for himself, leaving them in anger and disgust. Later, they encounter Mario and Luigi and decide to fight them, which results in a boss battle. After the Wario Bros. are defeated, they find out that they're after the same guy and decide to team up. Along the journey, they will start petty rivalries as to who will find a certain item first, always disagree on every subject, even push each other into traps, and the Wario Bros. could commit selfish acts behind the Mario Bros. backs that would get them all in trouble and share the blame. Along with that, they would get unique abilities such as being able to bash down objects or throw Bob-ombs.

It's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant I tell you!

I also like your mirror universe plot. It sounds great! I could imagine this foreign realm colliding with the Mushroom Universe and they start fusing together which cause multiple time and space disruptions along with certain areas staying normal or transforming into alternate versions. I love it!

I guess I really don't care what system it's on, but I would like to keep the sprites.

GigaKoloktos said:
I also think that there should be puzzles that involve traveling between both universes, and that there are bosses on both. I think the final boss should be fought in both at the same time(using portals maybe).
I like the sound of that! Perhaps when you travel through a portal or wall to an area covered by the opposite dimension you're curretly on, you'r sent to a strange universe where you complete mini-games and puzzles to continue. For example, gravity may shift from certain angles, on a puzzle path that has invisible walls, and even the new Mario mini-game trend, Shadow Mario chases! Except in this case, it would be the Shadow Mario Bros.

How about we keep everything the way it was.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I liked Partners In Time's item based special moves since it was more unique. All the other Mario RPGs used SP for their special moves even if other terms were used. But SP might be more efficient.

Buster Baxter said:
I liked Partners In Time's item based special moves since it was more unique. All the other Mario RPGs used SP for their special moves even if other terms were used. But SP might be more efficient.
Pretty much this. I just prefer Sp because you're able to regain the ability to use them in battle. I think I should change the title to ideas instead of console placement and graphics.

Super Mario the Hedgehog said:
I think I should change the title to ideas instead of console placement and graphics.

I agree. Console placement and graphics are minor compared to when talking about gameplay and story

Since we've had a traveling theme (Superstar Saga), time theme (Partners in Time), and organic theme (Bowser's Inside Story), how about a space theme?

Let's just say that Peach discovered a new planet with a telescope one night and initiates plans the next morning to explore that planet and perhaps form peace with it's potential inhabitants. Professor E. Gadd returns with some wacky rocket that'll blast Mario, Luigi, and the gang to this planet. However, the planet fires it's hostile weapons which causes the ship to crash on some nearby moon with only Mario and Luigi being together and on-screen. They attempt to find everybody else (Including Peach of course) and they initiate their adventure to save everybody and discover the hazardous backstory of this planet. And of course, somewhere along the line, Bowser receives news about this planet and attempts to take over it and claim it under his rule.

Also, I think this would be a great way to reintroduce the Shroobs like they did with Fawful in Bowser's Inside Story and it's hinted that they'll return due to the Shroobs being cryogenically frozen under Bowser's castle, in which Fawful was also hinted as to returning as an antagonist due to being a shopkeeper in Partners in Time.

Haven't we had a little too much space themes of the late? Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2? I mean, I really like your idea but I think, when considering Mario, that space is overused lately.

I actually don't have any ideas for a new theme...

I kind of like that story. Except it makes Peach sound dumb, which is why a lot of people hate her. Just travel to another planet to become friends and the rocket gets blasted? Other than that, I like your idea.

I also Midbus to make a cameo, because if you follow the pattern:

Superstar Saga: Fawful's the minion.
Partners In Time: Fawful's a shop keeper.
Bowser's Inside Story: Fawful's the main villain.
Fourth Game: New villain, Midbus makes a cameo.
Fifth Game: Midbus is the main villain.

Baby Luigi said:
Haven't we had a little too much space themes of the late? Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2? I mean, I really like your idea but I think, when considering Mario, that space is overused lately.

I don't really find Space that common in the RPGs though.

Baby Luigi said:

I could somewhat agree, but the Mario series has really started to move away from that and Galaxy 2 was only created because of the amount of left-over ideas from Galaxy 1. It'd also provide great humor with meeting wacky aliens (possibly including Lumas, and some good humor like somebody telling Mario & Luigi before they perform some crazy stunt, "In space, no one can hear you scream..." I'm open to the idea of having another space theme if only for the fact that it will be in a RPG style instead of a platformer this time.

Also, Buster, Peach is always dumb. That's mainly the reason why I gave her that role in the first place as it'd be a good cheesy joke displaying her common naive thoughts. But I'd like to see Midbus as an antagonist, in fact, I've already started to predict that.

Buster Baxter said:
Baby Luigi said:

I don't really find Space that common in the RPGs though.

I was concerned with Mario in general, but ok.

@Super Mario the Hedgehog: Well, I don't know what other theme to be used, but your space idea is a good one.

I like how he's a pig-armadillo hybrid. How many armadillos do you see in cartoons and video games? Besides, it's possible that he's still alive or could come back to life. In Superstar Saga, Fawful seemingly dies since he got thrown out of Bowser's Castle while it was floating in the air and we see an explosion cloud and he shows up as a ghost during the battle with Cackletta's soul, yet he returned in Partners In Time with no explanation for his death in Superstar Saga. So Midbus coming back wouldn't really be a WTF moment at all.

I do support the Shroobs coming back though. But I want them to be more like this.

Also, Shroobified clones of Mario and Luigi as bosses please.

Back