Minor Irritants (aka first-world problems)

When I went to middle school, we couldn't have electronics at all.

If we had to bring a cellphone or something like that, it would have to stay in your locker or it'd get confiscated.

Speaking of which, if they confiscate your phone, they have the "right" to read your texts, emails, etc. That's an invasion of privacy, and it should be illegal.

they really shouldn't be allowed to do that :(
I don't think they are actually
although, at my school if you use your phone in class they are allowed to take it and read anything you have open on that page, but they can't go through and do whatever they like :(

Oh, I must have misunderstood that.

That's probably the case.

They probably just check for if you're doing anything illegal or something like that though

probably, but often the teacher would read it to the class should it happen to make that person look like a fool, he didn't mean anything by it though, he was a fun(ny) teacher (and he gave people their phones back after they finished working)

that was my old school, in high school you just get kicked out if you're using a phone during instructions, just thrown out and forced to wander the halls until the next class (sounds fun but you end up missing your work so its not)

I always was a bit upset by that rule, but I knew that unless they started checking lockers, I was safe since I kept my phone in my backpack in my locker.

I only needed to take my phone to school because it was my first time riding the bus, and my mom wanted me to text her once I got on the bus and once I got home.

Also, another thing about that school, we had a zip up binder thing that we had to carry around to every class (it had papers and supplies for everything in it). It was annoying because I had a lot of trouble zipping it up because it was crammed with stuff, and if I did manage to zip it, then it stuck and I couldn't unzip it.

Because of this, there was more than one occassion where all of my stuff would fall out and I'd be nearly late for the next class.

Yeah...

Also, I like looking up different Vocaloid and UTAU covers of the song Bacterial Contamination, yet I do NOT want to have to watch the video that goes with the song every. single. time!

I like watching that video, but only if I'm in the right mood for it.

Just a warning; The video is kind of creepy, but the story is actually pretty meaningful

It's an analogy to bullying

I watched
and I have to say, its probably the song that has effected me the most directly

Yeah, the first time I watched it I wasn't as focused on the subtitles (because I was kind of freaked out), but the second time I'm like, "Japan, you are certainly creative in expressing morals. Bravo."

Rin Kagamine said:

If we had to bring a cellphone or something like that, it would have to stay in your locker or it'd get confiscated.

Speaking of which, if they confiscate your phone, they have the "right" to read your texts, emails, etc. That's an invasion of privacy, and it should be illegal.
Just so all you kids know, you forfeit your Fourth Amendment rights every time you step onto a school campus.

They probably got that by the courts (or the courts approved it) by saying it was a public safety thing. Or with the elastic clause.

Well, it's completely wrong to a libertarian like myself, but it makes sense to people who want to cut down on drug use and underage drinking and such.

Thrawn said:
Rin Kagamine said:

Just so all you kids know, you forfeit your Fourth Amendment rights every time you step onto a school campus.

They probably got that by the courts (or the courts approved it) by saying it was a public safety thing. Or with the elastic clause.
I remember when my social studies teacher first taught me this.....bad times, bad times.

Thrawn said:
Well, it's completely wrong to a libertarian like myself, but it makes sense to people who want to cut down on drug use and underage drinking and such.
well yah, anything that cuts down on illegal drugs and alcohol is fine by me, I guess
but really, minors shouldn't be allowed to have drugs or alcohol in public regardless if its a school or not

At my school, you can't have phones and if you get caught the teachers actually have the right to either read everything on it out loud or throw it at a wall, which I think is going way too far. I haven't really seen anything like that happen, the least they do is just yell at whoever had a phone. Heck, I've even seen people who sit in the back of the room in some classes doing drugs while the teacher is talking.

yikes
one the one side, destroying private property, regardless if it was disrupting class activities or not, is blatantly illegal
on the other side, it seems some these punks kids need to be a taught a lesson (albeit not in regards to their phones)

although that's more serious that having a phone at school, again (or at least what I've seen) they make a lot of threats but never do anything

Like in third or fourth grade I always used to write on my desk and the teacher told me that I would get arrested for destroying school property, which really scared me but the only "punishment" was that I had to stay in and clean it

my old school they actually did arrest someone for writing on a desk, but they used a knife to do it so it needed to be replaced and they made them pay for it, she refused and started a fight with a teacher so she got arrested
same person got arrested selling drugs in school, several times

Michell said:
Thrawn said:
well yah, anything that cuts down on illegal drugs and alcohol is fine by me, I guess
but really, minors shouldn't be allowed to have drugs or alcohol in public regardless if its a school or not
what if we just made drugs and alcohol not illegal

how would you feel about that

annoyed
alcohol is fine in moderation, but minors should only be allowed if their parents allow it, and even then only a sip
and smoked drugs I don't approve of because the user is not the only victim, second hand smoke kills, whether its from weed or tobacco
illegal drugs go towards funding organized crime, which would continue if it was legal, because the black market would still be cheaper

Back