Frozen (Disney's The Snow Queen adaption)

Elsa said:
it's live action with cgi
and the cgi's more for accentuating the live action stuff

no, i mean it's still watchable by kids, which i guess you could say makes it a kids movie

characters like olaf just scream "kids movie!!!"

Dr. Javelin said:
no, i mean it's still watchable by kids, which i guess you could say makes it a kids movie

characters like olaf just scream "kids movie!!!"
olaf was marketed towards kids but he was also very important to the movie as symbolism

I think the movie could have done without him, so please elaborate.

Yeah, I felt the same way. Humor was already provided by Kristoff's snarky comments to Anna, and Olaf was often just groanworthy to me.

(also i'm generally not a fan of symbolism so this had better be good)

Mario4Ever said:
I think the movie could have done without him, so please elaborate.
Dr. Javelin said:
Yeah, I felt the same way. Humor was already provided by Kristoff's snarky comments to Anna, and Olaf was often just groanworthy to me.

(also i'm generally not a fan of symbolism so this had better be good)
the movie could have certainly done without him, but i still think he was a good addition to the movie

first of all: josh gad is great okay

second of all: olaf is symbolic of the love between anna and elsa and he ties them to their childhood days when they were close. notice how the first real thing that elsa creates when she runs away is olaf, at the time she's feeling happiest (she creates Marshmallow when she feels angry and scared). also (you probably know this but just restating just in case), olaf's love for hugs and summer and warmness is supposed to reflect elsa's inner desire to once again be close to her sister

if you look at elsa's powers as purely emotion-powered and as an expression of her emotions, then that makes sense. i always saw them more as something she just had trouble controlling but could easily if she got the hang of it.

Dr. Javelin said:
if you look at elsa's powers as purely emotion-powered and as an expression of her emotions, then that makes sense. i always saw them more as something she just had trouble controlling but could easily if she got the hang of it.
Like naruto's nine tail fox or Bruce Banner Hulk form.

Dr. Javelin said:
no. definitely not. i thought it was supposed to be clear that elsa's powers were emotion-based. i certainly know a lot of reviews i read noticed it. elsa's powers come out most when she is afraid and nervous. that's why when she reconciles with Anna, the storm thaws.

when you rewatch the movie (you should definitely rewatch the movie, since there's a lot to see), you'll notice things. when elsa first shoots anna in the heart in the beginning, and elsa is begging for anna to wake up, the room around her becomes shrouded in ice. when she is preparing for (and doing) her coronation ceremony, her hands are trembling in fear of being discovered. her powers are truly discovered when she gets angry at anna at the party. when anna tells elsa that she cast winter upon Arendelle, Elsa becomes anxious and a mini-storm rages around her as she clasps her head in her hands, and in a release of frustration, the storm is sucked in and expelled as icicles that strike anna. afterwards, when she is about to conjure Marshmallow, you can see the ice solidifying in the castle, and this continues on in the movie until she is eventually captured

tl;dr - elsa's powers are undoubtedly tied to her emotions. i'll go grab some pictures if you want to see for yourself

evidence! yay!

(sorry. i just love analyzing this movie. the animation is so beautiful to watch too)
VW8sM9B.gif

SL7v7tK.gif

i'm not denying that they are in part controlled by her emotions, but it looks to me like she still has the power to use it however she wants when she gets control. the part where
she's fighting the crossbowmen is a pretty clear demonstration of how she can both unconsciously do things and consciously use her powers. unconsciously, she's able to pull up a ice shield to block a shot. consciously, she was able to not kill them even though she clearly wanted to and easily could have.

Dr. Javelin said:
i'm not denying that they are in part controlled by her emotions, but it looks to me like she still has the power to use it however she wants when she gets control. the part where
she's fighting the crossbowmen is a pretty clear demonstration of how she can both unconsciously do things and consciously use her powers. unconsciously, she's able to pull up a ice shield to block a shot. consciously, she was able to not kill them even though she clearly wanted to and easily could have.
I wonder did her ice effect the entire world or only that specific kingdom? If it only effected this kingdom I have an alternate ending idea.

frozen won best animated feature :wario:

Back