What ever happened to Wart?

Ultraluigi

doing whatever since 2011
We haven't seen Wart in ages. Birdo has been in the limelight though. I really want a game starring Wart.

I'm assuming that Nintendo just does not have interest with the character and other SMB2 bosses at the moment. However, I am hoping that they do return in the near future. What I really want to see is a SMB2 recreation or at least a sequel with all the characters from the original along with perhaps a few newer ones.

Wart still has his chances of returning, and I really do want to see him make a reappearance alongside the other bosses like Mouser. The bosses were very original in terms of design, and would really help make future Mario rosters very unique through their debuts.

He traveled to the Wind Fish's dream world and taught Link a song (if you know what debate I'm referring to, then good for you).

I doubt he'll show up again tho.

Birdo only came back to be Yoshi's companion. I kind of doubt Wart is coming back.

Lord Ghirahim said:
He traveled to the Wind Fish's dream world and taught Link a song (if you know what debate I'm referring to, then good for you).

I doubt he'll show up again tho.

I feel smart.... ;)

Not only Wart, but Tryclyde, Clawgrip, Fry Guy, and Mouser I would like to see again.

I'd like to see a remake of SMB2 for the 3DS. Never gonna happen, but wouldn't it be awesome?

Ultraluigi said:
I'd like to see a remake of SMB2 for the 3DS. Never gonna happen, but wouldn't it be awesome?

Ah, if only that would happen Ultraluigi! I really do wish it would as SMB2 had so much potential (it's just hated on way too much).

Hopefully we do get at least a remake for the 3DS. That would be awesome. :D

Propeller Toad said:
Ultraluigi said:

Ah, if only that would happen Ultraluigi! I really do wish it would as SMB2 had so much potential (it's just hated on way too much).

Hopefully we do get at least a remake for the 3DS. That would be awesome. :D
I don't get why SMB2 is hated so much. It's an awesome game.

^It was all due to the fact that some people were not happy with the entire "Doki Doki Panic" ordeal. Unfortunately, these people were the vocal ones and they immediately started to attack the game for obvious reasons.

However, what they don't seem to know is the fact that SMB2 was actually the original SMB2; but was just scrapped due to initial unknown reasons. Fortunately, it was redeveloped from DDP (which took the gameplay of the original SMB2). SMB2 was a fantastic game; and another reason why it was hated? The change. Just like Sunshine (which is also a fantastic game), SMB2 was disliked because it was different from the original SMB2. Sure you cannot jump and destroy the enemies, but the game was still fun till the end.

I'd love to see the return of this game. :)

Propeller Toad said:
^It was all due to the fact that some people were not happy with the entire "Doki Doki Panic" ordeal.
This is actually not correct. Lots of people disliked Super Mario Bros. 2 long before that was common knowledge. I, for one, don't like Super Mario Bros. 2 because I just don't find it much fun- or, as much fun as most other Mario games. It's a great game but up against any of the other 2D Mario platformers, it just doesn't hold up for me. Being different's fine, I just don't like the way in which it's different- and neither do a lot of other gamers.

^
The change. Just like Sunshine (which is also a fantastic game), SMB2 was disliked because it was different from the original SMB2. Sure you cannot jump and destroy the enemies, but the game was still fun till the end.

Perhaps this is what you mean? :)

It's understandable that change is a good reason why some people were not fond of this game as the others (especially if they liked the original SMB). I personally liked SMB2 better for various reasons (not only for Toad being playable, but also for its gameplay and unique boss fights).

SMB2: Plus and Minus
+Much Better Graphics Than SMB
+Multiple Playable Characters
+Different Antagonist
+ Introduced Bob-ombs and Shy Guys
-Jump Doesn't work.
-Different Gameplay

I also enjoyed the gameplay of Super Mario Bros. 2 more than the other Mario platformers. Dunno why.

I preferred Doki Doki Panic to the Lost Levels.

He's a fat frog that shoots bubbles why the hell whould they keep using him

the definition may had been changed. Birdo (if species in that time) is now another specific character who is with Mario and Yoshi.
Wart is another big boss in the old game, but Bowser is the recognizable boss in Nintendo world, and other notable rivals like Wario is there, and other bosses like Syrup or Cackletta are more distinctive. so if Nintnedo make him back, I'm not sure what's the position he is in.

In Pauline's case, her redesigned look may differ from Peach, but her status and prsonality are not clear enough without spinoffs, too.

I've recently seen that the wiki suggests that the cartoon "King Koopa" was actually based on Wart! (which would answer why Wart never appeared in the cartoon. It suggests the character was basically a merger of the two!) http://www.mariowiki.com/Bowser#DIC_Cartoons

That makes sense, as the cartoon Koopa has that all green snout and smaller teeth (which to me, resembles an alligator) all other drawings of him (including the earlier anime show), as well as the game sprites, has the lighter area around his mouth. Plus also, the crown, which Wart wears, and Koopa wears only in the cartoon (and comic).
And I think I can remember Koopa in the cartoon firing some sort of wand on occasions, which would also be like Wart.

Speaking of the comic, you can even see here, in the comic that had both of them appear together, how much they actually resemble each other (even the teeth): http://www.mariowiki.com/Wart#.22Tanooki_Suits_Me.22 In both that and Cloud Nine, it comments how he resembles a crocodile,which is again, what Koopa also resembles in those drawings.

Propeller Toad said:
^It was all due to the fact that some people were not happy with the entire "Doki Doki Panic" ordeal. Unfortunately, these people were the vocal ones and they immediately started to attack the game for obvious reasons.

However, what they don't seem to know is the fact that SMB2 was actually the original SMB2; but was just scrapped due to initial unknown reasons. Fortunately, it was redeveloped from DDP (which took the gameplay of the original SMB2).
You're saying that DDP was originally conceived as SMB2, but this was scrapped, and it then changed into DDP, and afterwards, of course, then readapted to SMB2 again? I don't see this testified anywhere though it would make sense. (Like the old Mario Mania guide suggests it was "destined to become a Mario game").

The mainstays in the series from SMB2 have been Bob-omb, and to a lesser extent, Pokey. The other characters would probably be harder to keep in the series, since it has gone back to the original format of running, jumping, and power suits, while those characters (the bosses I am thinking of more) were mostly designed to be hit with thrown objects (without a power), or (the lesser characters) even picked up and thrown themselves.

Eric B said:
I've recently seen that the wiki suggests that the cartoon "King Koopa" was actually based on Wart! (which would answer why Wart never appeared in the cartoon. It suggests the character was basically a merger of the two!) http://www.mariowiki.com/Bowser#DIC_Cartoons

That makes sense, as the cartoon Koopa has that all green snout and smaller teeth (which to me, resembles an alligator) all other drawings of him (including the earlier anime show), as well as the game sprites, has the lighter area around his mouth. Plus also, the crown, which Wart wears, and Koopa wears only in the cartoon (and comic).
And I think I can remember Koopa in the cartoon firing some sort of wand on occasions, which would also be like Wart.

Speaking of the comic, you can even see here, in the comic that had both of them appear together, how much they actually resemble each other (even the teeth): http://www.mariowiki.com/Wart#.22Tanooki_Suits_Me.22 In both that and Cloud Nine, it comments how he resembles a crocodile,which is again, what Koopa also resembles in those drawings.

Propeller Toad said:

However, what they don't seem to know is the fact that SMB2 was actually the original SMB2; but was just scrapped due to initial unknown reasons. Fortunately, it was redeveloped from DDP (which took the gameplay of the original SMB2).
You're saying that DDP was originally conceived as SMB2, but this was scrapped, and it then changed into DDP, and afterwards, of course, then readapted to SMB2 again? I don't see this testified anywhere though it would make sense. (Like the old Mario Mania guide suggests it was "destined to become a Mario game").
I never thought about it like that. I always wondered why Bowser looked so different in the cartoons.

Propeller Toad said:

The mainstays in the series from SMB2 have been Bob-omb, and to a lesser extent, Pokey. The other characters would probably be harder to keep in the series, since it has gone back to the original format of running, jumping, and power suits, while those characters (the bosses I am thinking of more) were mostly designed to be hit with thrown objects (without a power), or (the lesser characters) even picked up and thrown themselves.

This is the sad truth actually. Here is a link containing information from an interview of how Super Mario Bros. 2 was actually developed:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/the-secret-history-of-super-mario-bros-2.ars

This is probably why SMB2 was accepted in Japan as well, and why it was developed as the fifth Super Mario Bros. game there. The reason why... it was a Super Mario game from the very start.

Back