What ever happened to Wart?

Propeller Toad said:
Propeller Toad said:
^It was all due to the fact that some people were not happy with the entire "Doki Doki Panic" ordeal. Unfortunately, these people were the vocal ones and they immediately started to attack the game for obvious reasons.

However, what they don't seem to know is the fact that SMB2 was actually the original SMB2; but was just scrapped due to initial unknown reasons. Fortunately, it was redeveloped from DDP (which took the gameplay of the original SMB2).
You're saying that DDP was originally conceived as SMB2, but this was scrapped, and it then changed into DDP, and afterwards, of course, then readapted to SMB2 again? I don't see this testified anywhere though it would make sense. (Like the old Mario Mania guide suggests it was "destined to become a Mario game").

The mainstays in the series from SMB2 have been Bob-omb, and to a lesser extent, Pokey. The other characters would probably be harder to keep in the series, since it has gone back to the original format of running, jumping, and power suits, while those characters (the bosses I am thinking of more) were mostly designed to be hit with thrown objects (without a power), or (the lesser characters) even picked up and thrown themselves.

This is the sad truth actually. Here is a link containing information from an interview of how Super Mario Bros. 2 was actually developed:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/the-secret-history-of-super-mario-bros-2.ars

This is probably why SMB2 was accepted in Japan as well, and why it was developed as the fifth Super Mario Bros. game there. The reason why... it was a Super Mario game from the very start.
Wow... I should probably investigate the development of other games.

Eric B said:
I've recently seen that the wiki suggests that the cartoon "King Koopa" was actually based on Wart! (which would answer why Wart never appeared in the cartoon. It suggests the character was basically a merger of the two!) http://www.mariowiki.com/Bowser#DIC_Cartoons

That makes sense, as the cartoon Koopa has that all green snout and smaller teeth (which to me, resembles an alligator) all other drawings of him (including the earlier anime show), as well as the game sprites, has the lighter area around his mouth. Plus also, the crown, which Wart wears, and Koopa wears only in the cartoon (and comic).
And I think I can remember Koopa in the cartoon firing some sort of wand on occasions, which would also be like Wart.
in Pauline's case, not until the remake clearly made out Pauline or we can suppose that she's adapted into the princess Peach
if as above the official really want Wart back, they would better give him a new design and position
but in the theory of function, Bowser's position is surely including Wart and other old bosses' existence

Dorayaki said:
Eric B said:
I've recently seen that the wiki suggests that the cartoon "King Koopa" was actually based on Wart! (which would answer why Wart never appeared in the cartoon. It suggests the character was basically a merger of the two!) http://www.mariowiki.com/Bowser#DIC_Cartoons

That makes sense, as the cartoon Koopa has that all green snout and smaller teeth (which to me, resembles an alligator) all other drawings of him (including the earlier anime show), as well as the game sprites, has the lighter area around his mouth. Plus also, the crown, which Wart wears, and Koopa wears only in the cartoon (and comic).
And I think I can remember Koopa in the cartoon firing some sort of wand on occasions, which would also be like Wart.
in Pauline's case, not until the remake clearly made out Pauline or we can suppose that she's adapted into the princess Peach
if as above the official really want Wart back, they would better give him a new design and position
but in the theory of function, Bowser's position is surely including Wart and other old bosses' existence
Pauline is gone. Deal with it. I guess I should deal with the fact that Wart probably isn't coming back. And sorry for being a Grammar Nazi, but can you use periods. It just gets on my nerves when people forget that periods exist.

Ultraluigi said:
Pauline is gone. Deal with it. I guess I should deal with the fact that Wart probably isn't coming back. And sorry for being a Grammar Nazi, but can you use periods. It just gets on my nerves when people forget that periods exist.
okay.

though I'm not sure about Wart, Pauline is the example that appears in recent games so what's to deal with = =?
I don't clearly say Wart will ever or never appear again, it's just that if the staff would need a such a character in other future situation, ex, if you see a leader of Frog Galaxy in Galaxy 3, whose name isn't Wart. It only looks up to the possibility whether the staff would waste their character database.

That does not mean he doesn't exist.

Birdos, Shy Guys, Bob-ombs still make appearances regardless of the fact that they made their first appearances in this game as well. Not to mention that each of the four playable characters still have their stats as they do today. We might have seen SMB2 from a dream perspective; however, that does not mean the adventure hasn't taken place at all (perhaps it occurs in the future or from the past as Mario dreams about it).

The older Mario games were much like this. We could even say the adventure in SMB3 does not really exist since it was portrayed to being a stage play.

Propeller Toad said:
This is the sad truth actually. Here is a link containing information from an interview of how Super Mario Bros. 2 was actually developed:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/the-secret-history-of-super-mario-bros-2.ars

This is probably why SMB2 was accepted in Japan as well, and why it was developed as the fifth Super Mario Bros. game there. The reason why... it was a Super Mario game from the very start.
Interesting. It seemed that this early concept of the game sounded a lot like certain levels in NSMBW, where you pick each oher up, and use blocks to reach certain places on vertical levels.

Wart really only existed in Mario's dream, so any odds of him coming back are quite small.

freeze_away_wart_remover.jpg

MnSG said:
Wart really only existed in Mario's dream, so any odds of him coming back are quite small.

I'd like to note that Birdo's first appearance was in Mario's dream in Super Mario Bros. 2 too, and she's a recurring character.

Shy Guys, Pidgits, Birdo, Bob-ombs, etc. all reappeared; their debut was Doki Doki Panic.

apocalypseArisen said:
I'd like to note that Birdo's first appearance was in Mario's dream in Super Mario Bros. 2 too, and she's a recurring character.

The Shy Guys and Snifits also existed at Yoshi's Island, which took place before Super Mario Bros. 2. Also, it seems that the Birdos are only able to speak the human language in Mario's dream.

MnSG said:
apocalypseArisen said:

The Shy Guys and Snifits also existed at Yoshi's Island, which took place before Super Mario Bros. 2. Also, it seems that the Birdos are only able to speak the human language in Mario's dream.

Birdo can speak the human language in Superstar Saga.

Mario4Ever said:
Birdo can speak the human language in Superstar Saga.

I tend to not involve the Mario & Luigi series when making those statements.

By the way, although it's quite obvious, Wart and King Hippo are similar in that they're both vulnerable to attacks when their mouths are open. Maybe King Hippo inspired the idea of giving Wart the open mouth weakness.

MnSG said:
apocalypseArisen said:

It does not matter which game took place first in terms of the canon timeline. Regardless of what happened, Shy Guys and Snifits still reappeared in future games made after SMB2.

The fact that they were brought back means that the enemies were not forgotten and in fact do exist.

Also Birdo can speak...just in text format (M&L:SS, Fortune Street). Very few characters speak either way (unless it is a spin-off).

Various characters have been dropped during the years...Koopalings, Pauline, DK Jr.; however, it all depends on how much use they can bring on whether or not they can return. Nintendo generally uses Bowser, so there really is no use of bringing back Wart or any other Mario boss from a Mario game (where Bowser isn't the main boss). If a SMB2 sequel or remake occurs, Wart will definitely return. Hopefully, Wart, Mouser, and the rest do return in a spin-off title at least (we do not need roles for that matter).

Propeller Toad said:
Various characters have been dropped during the years...Koopalings, Pauline, DK Jr.; however, it all depends on how much use they can bring on whether or not they can return. Nintendo generally uses Bowser, so there really is no use of bringing back Wart or any other Mario boss from a Mario game.
Pauline is an individual but possibly was determined a prototype of Peach ; DK Jr. is obviously the problem of "unmarried father" when the present DK series replace the past details. I'm not surprised with Koopalings, since we may see how many useful generals are in Bowser's troop.

as I mentioned I think Wart's feature is similar with some minor animal bosses in Galaxy (octopus, beetle etc), or single chapter of RPG series. So if the staff really know how to use, he is very useful; but in Bowser's case as a general boss of the series, it's hard to think a new game for Wart as a final boss.

Pauline also wasn't dropped,

she has been in every Mario v.s. Donkey Kong game to date
(or... i think)

I was not meaning to look at them that way as I am aware that both Pauline and the Koopalings have appeared recently. However, I was using them as examples as they do not appear as commonly as we would like them to appear as both examples have been replaced throughout the years. Indeed they did not disappear; however, they have not made a full complete return as well (otherwise we would be seeing them more often and perhaps in the spin-offs as well).

Wart appeared last in Super Mario All-Stars for Wii; but in terms of a remake he appeared in Super Mario Advance released nearly a decade ago. He still has his chances of appearing if Nintendo decides to do another game featuring the land of Subcon. Nintendo has been referencing SMB2 quite a lot in the recent games, so I really do hope that it does occur soon.

Koopaling costumes are available to use in the London 2012 Olympic Games, so that's another reason to confirm that the Koopalings aren't forgotten.

Nintendo has been referencing SMB2 a lot in the recent games
I love it when Nintendo does this. I loved the SMB2 references in Bowser's Inside Story.

Back