The Perfect Run vs. Special 8 Crown (Which is harder?!)

Marwikedor

Marwikedor
Banned User
The Perfect Run probably is, even though I can beat it 99 out of 100 times now without dying due to the fun I've had the past year and a half replaying the level. But I must have died 100 times trying to beat it the first time. Special 8 Crown, though? 5 or 6. All because the Statue Tanooki suit makes it WAAAAAAAY easier than it would be if the player was not allowed to use it. You can entirely bypass certain challenges with Statue Tanooki. You can float over and entirely bypass certain platforming challenges that more levels could of used such as the 2 Goombas floating in the air. The statue can evade the triangular Firebars and negate the necessity to kick off the Bob-ombs via invincibilty. However, it cannot be used to get past the second part with the rotating Firebars due to collapsable platforms (the player would plummit to certain death if he tried this stunt). When Shadow Mario comes after you, it is very tough and takes some kean platforming prowess to evade those Wallops and not get hit by Shadow Mario. All in all, even with Statue Tanooki suit it is still very hard, but it won't go down in history like The Perfect Run. With the regular non-Statue Tanooki, it is harder, but still doesn't compare to Perfect Run.

Let's take the Tanooki Suit out of the equation. Try beating it without a Tanooki Suit. Then it is TWICE as hard as the Perfect Run. My GOD! I am seeing how far I can get without the suit. So far I have made it to Boom-Boom and Pon-Pon, and I am planning on doing it finishing it without it soon. Nevertheless, the game does not REQUIRE you to enter the challenge sans a Tanooki Suit! What they could have done, if you entered the level wearing a Tanooki Suit, Shadow Mario should have come out of nowhere and snatched it away a la Mario Sunshine when FLUDD was marauded by the doppleganger bandit. Regardless, they did not, and the game does not REQUIRE you, or perhaps not even expect you, to enter to trials without the suit. It is comparable to how the Boss Blitz Galaxy would have blown away the perfect run in terms of pure difficulty, had it's Comet Medal challenge been a DAREDEVIL RUN and not some dubious time trial that did little to add to the difficulty. Beating all of those bosses without getting hit once would have indeed been an indelible challenge, to say the least. Fire Piranha alone... my god. But again, the game did not ask that of you, so it is inconsequential. And that's the way it is.

I've beat the Boss Blitz multiple times without losing any life...

I highly doubt anything is harder than the Perfect Run, aside from Luigi's Purple Coins and a certain Green Star that will remain unnamed.

I can't say yet, since I haven't played SM3DL.

Lord Ghirahim said:

I highly doubt anything is harder than the Perfect Run, aside from Luigi's Purple Coins and a certain Green Star that will remain unnamed.
I bet I know what you mean. That Voldemort Green Star is just a matter of knowing where to jump off the the platform into the upwards gravity to grab the green star and not die.

The Special World 8 levels are definitely not too hard. I just have crappy depth perception which did cost my life a bunch of times.

I think IMO The Perfect Run is very overrated in difficulty. I found Slingpod Galaxy, Stone Cyclone Galaxy's first star, and Luigi's Purple Coins to be much tougher

Marwikedor said:
Lord Ghirahim said:

I bet I know what you mean. That Voldemort Green Star is just a matter of knowing where to jump off the the platform into the upwards gravity to grab the green star and not die.

If you're talking about Flipsville, it's no problem with the Homing Stomp.

Epic Nitwit said:
Marwikedor said:
Lord Ghirahim said:

If I had only known that when I collected that star, I'd have around 30 deaths erased from my death count in that game...

Never played any of these levels.

Lord Ghirahim said:
Epic Nitwit said:
Marwikedor said:
Lord Ghirahim said:

If I had only known that when I collected that star, I'd have around 30 deaths erased from my death count in that game...

Yeah, I tried 10 or 20 times, then fluked it. Only on my second run through the game did I remember the stomp.

When I say Special 8 Crown, nobody here seems to have a clue what the fuck I'm talking about, and that baffles me.

I've just beaten last night Special 8 crown sans a Tanooki Suit! To get past one problem area without one: Do people forget that since the beginning of time Mario and Luigi could SPRINT over various blocks that had gaps between them? They knew to do this in 2D, but not 3D? For those of you who haven't got there yet, you'll know what I'm talkin' 'bout.

I'm getting really close to S8-C, but it's those damn Star Coins I'm hungry for.

Oh yeah, PR is the hardest level i have ever played besides the damn purple coins.

I never had much trouble with 8-Crown except the second room (jumping on regular-sized blocks), and even then only with Mario. It's amazing how much Tanooki Luigi breaks the game.

Marwikedor said:
I've just beaten last night Special 8 crown sans a Tanooki Suit!

My first beating of Special 8 Crown was without a Tanooki Suit so I didn't went "easy".

Lord Ghirahim said:

The Luigi's Purple Coins was kinda easy for me, and I got all the green stars in SMG2. I haven't completed the Perfect Run yet, though. I think the farthest I made it was the Hammer Bros section.

Perfect Run because instead of saying that I was awesome and only take blah blah amount of times to beat it, it was extremely hard. Luigi's purple Coins and everything else was never as hard as that mission for me. The only other mission that would be close would be SMG1 Lava Galaxy with the volcano and fireball things.

I havent played S8-Crown but I've seen a video and it looks nothing as hard as Perfect Run. Even the person that did the video in the description said it was pretty easy.

Now that I've played Special 8-Crown, I can finally answer this.

The Perfect Run is definitely the harder one, no question. I've been stuck on The Perfect Run for over 2 years now, and no matter how many times I pick up the game and try it again, I end up failing in the end. Special 8-Crown on the other hand, only took me about 10~ tries to beat.

Back