Frequency of Mario games?

which series need to be more frequent? (3 vote)

• Mario main 2D

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Mario main 3D

• Mario Party

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Mario ball games (golf, baseball etc)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Paper and RPG

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Wario series

• DK series

• others?

• Total voters

Dorayaki

King Bowser
I heard some talkings about that they feel very long for the next main game
I don't know how to explain it for different reasons

Mario series could be one of the largest game line with many types of game under it
the "total" productivity is stunning to other companies
but as many different games there, maybe the distribution per year is not really good?

main games: including 2D and 3D
there are 3 earliest Mario bros in old NES, in SNES World released (remake in GB), but only one 3D game was made in each of N64 and GC. Handheld main game began in NDS as NSMB, and 3DS also has 3D Land. Wii may have the most main games recently, including two 3D and one 2D.

Rather than others, it seems that main games are relatively fewer, the densest time is present: NSMBWii('09), Galaxy2('10), 3DLand('11), unless the staff won't make the next main game in coming 2011 (for WiiU?)

I think the staff mainly concerns playability so as not to make fans feel tired in short time (uh, though they pushed too much and neglect reasonability and innovation), but I wonder if 3D and 2D would be counted differently, and will fans who can afford new games be okay if there are one regular main game every year?

racing games and spinoffs:
first is the most notable Kart, it's obvious that only one game made for each console device, for only SNES, N64, GBA, GC, NDS, Wii, 3DS, estimatedly only 2 or 3 years they would release new Kart as the next console releases. I also wonder there will be another arcade game

Party is a different example, for the staff released many games in N64 and GC, but since Wii they only made 8th in 2007 (excluding DS) and the time of 9th seems very late. I think they won't cancel this series, but do that mean we will have to see 10th Party in 2015?

the rest specific sports seem to be vague in Nintendo's ongoing schedule: Golf and Tennis that was conducted by Camelot didn't release new versions in Wii or DS, and I wonder if I can see club athletes again (uh, only as subcharacters); Baseball and Football were made one in each of GC and Wii

there are something new, Olympics series is that SEGA and Nintendo will make every two year. Also two games made with SE are derived from DS to Wii version.

RPG:
it's not really significant in face of racing and main games (though it's more for others like Zelda, not for Mario). The most notable series is Paper, but as same only each home console releases one. 3DS is the first time for handheld, but I think they can make more Paper per console. The other Mario & Luigi is only to handheld and is not permitted to be in future DS or 3DS

Subseries:
DK, the seperate subseries, basically have it's traditional 2D games (Country, Konga etc), spinoffs of racing, and another DK vs Mario featuring Pauline. But recently it's not very recurring after many games released in Gamecube or gameboy, after 2007 only Mini-Land Mayhem and Returns released in 2011. I think something does with Mario spinoffs where DK and Diddy often appear (uh, though other kong characters and Pauline relatively don't have enough appearances), but at least DK main games should catch up to Mario main games.

Wario series, in face of kongs, is less connected with Mario spinoffs as the gangs of Syrup, Jimmy and Mona haven't been in Mario spinoffs. There was only one Wario "main" adventure game for each of Gamecube, DS and Wii, and we don't no whether 3DS and WiiU will do it. Warioware made two in Gameboy, but basically it only make one in each console device.

There is also the Yoshi series, but this series make most things about the heros' past, it's not as important as Wario and DK about their independant backgrounds. The only reason I may want to see the next Yoshi game could be baby Daisy......

The conclusion may be that Nintendo seem mostly to make every single type of game in one console device, not according to the frequency of time. The outcome is that many games have to wait for their sequel in 2~3 years. It may lead to that many series seem to lose their fame or publicity as they are not in every 2 year, the worst situation is to be vanished.

Basically I see that ball games can be more attached to console device, because it looks up to the progress of 3D arts and use of remote control. Things different in main game and RPG are that they mainly focus on the playability of events or different design of stories, console devices make less difference here. Also subseries of DK and Wario need higher frequency, as there are different backgrounds and details that is not appropriate to be in "window period", which will effect their publicity.

my opinion is:

2D+3D: one and the other in every two years
RPG: one in every two years
Each ball game, Kart: for device / one in every three years
Party: one in every two years
DK: at least one in every year
Wario: one in every two year

So, this is a complaint about Mario games not coming quickly enough? Come on, you need to give them time to develop their games. If they rush it, they will end up not as good. Worst case senario is somthing like Sonic 06. You shouldn't complain about how long it takes to make a good game. Except for Duke Nukem Forever.
Sorry if this is the wrong subject, I didn't read the entire post, just the start and finish. You should make your posts smaller.

The 3D games should be but still have loads of spin offs.

Epic Nitwit said:
So, this is a complaint about Mario games not coming quickly enough? Come on, you need to give them time to develop their games. If they rush it, they will end up not as good. Worst case senario is somthing like Sonic 06. You shouldn't complain about how long it takes to make a good game. Except for Duke Nukem Forever.

Sorry if this is the wrong subject, I didn't read the entire post, just the start and finish. You should make your posts smaller.[/size]
that's okay, basically I don't mean games are inenough because they do need time to design and test
I stress on frequency and device, and different series (for every series is made by different Nintendo team)

I honestly think it's fine the way it is now

Depends. If they are going to be as great as Galaxy 1 and 2, one a year would be nice (Nintendo, make Super Mario Galaxy 3, PLEASE, I'm begging you!).

But, if they're going to be as bad as Mario Party 8, please take forever to make them.

The main games and Mario Kart have a decent frequency, as main games come out pretty soon, and Mario Kart games are usually enjoyable for many years, especially on WiFi.
The sport games are getting out of ideas, and I won't mind on Wario or DK games much, although these are pretty good games too.
Mario Party games used to come every year, and after 4 years, the next Mario Party game has been announced, so I don't think I can call this a good frequency.

RPG's at the other hand, they do lack frequency.
If you love Mario and love RPG games, and you beat it quickly, you'll be sorry to wait another few years.
So my vote goes to RPG.

The RPG's have great replay value in my opinion, I have played Paper Mario 2 plenty of times, its still one of my favourite games, if not my favourite.

Well, after beating Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time 6 times, I thought, "Enough!".
But it could be because many games get old to me, with some exceptions.

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time had a reputation for being repetitive, I think.

I think they should cut on the platforming games a bit. They take a long time to make, but they are beatable in a few days. Spinoffs tend to last much longer than platformers.

But they are beatable in a few days.

Who gives two shits if theyre beatable in 2 days or 3. Theyre fun, were lucky to get as much as we do and we shouldnt care about the frequency of games. Platformers are Mario's roots so theres nothing you can do about it so stop whining about the length and make your own freaking 200 hour game and see if thats a whole bundle of joy to make.

I give two *bleeps* if they(')re beatable in a few days. There is this thing called "Replay Value".

Then replay the freaking game instead of telling me something I already know! These games usually have good replay value. I hardly ever replay games but most of the Mario Platformers/Side-scrollers I've replayed twice, and I've planned on playing them again. We just got Super mario 3D Land. people complain about how short it is, but if it's so short, go through the levels again and explore a bit.

I voted only for the Main-series games to become more frequent. The Kart and RPG games don't need more than one per console, and the other sub-series can just go screw themselves. ESPECIALLY the Wario and DK series.

Crackin355 said:
Then replay the freaking game instead of telling me something I already know! These games usually have good replay value. I hardly ever replay games but most of the Mario Platformers/Side-scrollers I've replayed twice, and I've planned on playing them again. We just got Super mario 3D Land. people complain about how short it is, but if it's so short, go through the levels again and explore a bit.

But it is indeed short if the main story could be beaten with all the medals the game offers in a few days. It's similar to Kirby's Return to Dreamland, the main story is short like Super Mario 3D Land, but also has an extra mode with revamped levels.

The people calling it short because the main story could be 100% in a matter of little time, not because of the extra modes.

Crackin355 said:
The ammount they make now is great, a couple games each year works fine.
so I don't mean the "total quantity" within Nintendo, I mean the relative ratio between different series
one is that they are partially done by different teams, so the quantity can be raised, or some series can still be relatively fewer

compare with main games and RPG, I think main games have a better replayability
RPG do also have stragetic fun battles, but to get battle with each specific strong rival again you have to restart the story
I think I'd love to restart many times only if I really love the details of story

Toad85 said:
The Kart and RPG games don't need more than one per console, and the other sub-series can just go screw themselves. ESPECIALLY the Wario and DK series.
I can't catch your opposite opinion without explanation = ="

I think seperate stories especially seperate subseries (DK and Wario) in which the details needs keeping renewals on the countertop
if you don't "need" them, the most efficient way is to tell the staff to CUT the series :rolleyes:

Dorayaki said:
Toad85 said:
The Kart and RPG games don't need more than one per console, and the other sub-series can just go screw themselves. ESPECIALLY the Wario and DK series.
I can't catch your opposite opinion without explanation = ="

Screw themselves = cut completely.

So you... kinda caught my drift from the start??

Toad85 said:
I see~
that's hard for DK series, since other DK characters who is still recurring in Mario series would also dissapear
despite in reality still other fans would love to play and it looks up to the commercial values

basically vanishment isn't good if it means the staff didn't make good use of some details
past examples are such as sport club athletes, they're not usable in any other future series, which is predictable

Dorayaki said:
Toad85 said:
I see~
that's hard for DK series, since other DK characters who is still recurring in Mario series would also dissapear
despite in reality still other fans would love to play and it looks up to the commercial values
EXACTAFRICKINGLY.

Toad85 said:
EXACTAFRICKINGLY.
It's may hard to think most players would agree, even there will be less DK main games in the future but DK characters are still in spinoffs (uh, that's not good in other meanings), and most of us are used to it.

Back