I just beat __

bioshock infinite

game was pretty shit tbh, takes everything bioshock 1 did right and throws it into a dumpster

this is more a matter of personal taste but i despised the art direction and scenery of columbia (most of it looked like the exact same thing to me honestly)

the whole airship thing felt like it went on WAY longer than it needed to, i suppose this is also another personal thing but the wild goose chase through the alternate tears and everything else just really dragged on. i also didn't like the setup of the vox suddenly also being the bad guys, but i guess daisy losing her shit for next to no reason is touched on in the dlc at least

i guess the very few last sections of the game were better atmosphere-wise? but they just kind of feel like they're trying too hard to mimic rapture.... also on that subject, the stealth sequences in comstock house are insanely dumb; why would you put something like that in a game that rewards you for being up-front in almost all other scenarios

the final battle was at least better than bioshock 1's, but that's saying nothing at all. and besides, it was just another glorified enemy wave, where all of your gameplay consists of mashing left/right clicks and F

also why exactly should i be convinced that booker getting baptized was enough to turn him into a murderous lunatic and not just, you know, a normal christian

i mean, adding on to that and my earlier points, i could never feel compelled to care about the plot or the environment or the characters. i'm not sure if it's because i went into the game with a negative attitude or because it was genuinely that shit at developing its setting. elizabeth is the only character i would consider okay, but even after the stuff at comstock house and the ending i had a hard time thinking of her as more than just the ammo supply

i think i had more complaints to add here but i forgot them because it's like 1 am

Sonic CD

That was a weird game. In a good way, I think. I only kinda figured out what to do with the Past/Future stuff by the end of the game.

I'm guessing the bad ending because I barely fixed any of the futures and I didn't get any of the (Chaos Emeralds) whatever magic gems

Hexcells (3rd January 2016)
I first knew about this game since I saw the NeoGAF thread on recommended games for the Steam Winter sale, and since this is a puzzle game akin to Picross, it's something I can see myself playing. Because of this, I ordered the bundle that includes not only this game, but also the Plus version and the Infinite version.

This game is similar to Picross because it has numbers that will indicate how many hexagons to fill, so if there is a "1", one of the six adjacent hexagons are to be filled. Later on, there are some added clues to make the puzzles more complex and more satisfying to solve, namely outside numbers indicating the number of hexagons found in that number's line of sight, and symbols indicating if the hexagons are in one group or not.

There's not much to say besides that I solved all the puzzles in the base game, so I have gotten a taste on what's to come, which are the Plus and the Infinite versions. In short, the puzzles are short but satisfying, so I am glad to have gotten this package.

Hexcells Plus (12 January 2016)
Hexcells Plus, unlike the original, is much more challenging. While the original eases you in the mechanics, the sequel wastes no time introducing those mechanics in favour of more devious puzzles. That's not to say that this game doesn't have new elements; it does contain new elements that will make you rely more on using your logical thinking, because the added rules made the later puzzles more complex. It's a great thing that this game allows you to mark certain numbers that are done, because it made the puzzles more readable.

To give you a comparison on the difficulty difference of both the original and the Plus version, the final puzzle in the original only have you filling up the grid, but the Plus version's final puzzle is another puzzle itself.

Hexcells Infinite (25 January 2016)
Much like the first two games, this game comes with original levels. However, it takes more elements from Hexcells Plus than the original. It's not surprising, considering how the second game introduces a number of elements not found in the original. This also means that the main puzzle campaign is pretty challenging, especially the later levels, and wastes no time introducing the main elements of the game. Fortunately, this game has a save system, so I can return to solve the larger puzzles later when time is running short. This is taken advantage of in the second-to-last level, where the puzzle is the largest of them all, not to mention a real challenge.

The main meat that differentiates Infinite from Plus is the Puzzle Generator. It basically generates a different puzzle based on the number shown, and with an 8-digit number, that means there could be 100,000,000 different puzzles! Of course, nobody in the right mind would solve all those puzzles since there are so many, but this game rewards you for solving 60 of the huge number of puzzles by giving an achievement. This is why it's taken a few days for me to complete it: each puzzle could take an average of 10 minutes to solve. Fortunately, the size of the puzzle varies, and I took advantage of this by trying for smaller puzzles when I've gone past 40 puzzles solved, with the occasional medium-sized puzzle.

Interestingly, the developer of this game also made SquareCells, which is like Hexcells except utilising a square grid. It looks like Picross at first glance, but from what I see, it has a few differentiating factors, which I will consider in the future.

Since I have been playing this game for a few days, naturally I got somewhat burned by seeing the same type of puzzles. As I have achieved my goal of getting every achievement, I can give this game a rest, not likely to return to it anytime soon. After all, with lots of games to complete, I have no problem letting it be.

Thanks for reading.

I collected all the Star Coins in New Super Luigi U last night. I have yet to collect all the Star Coins in New Super Mario Bros. U nor the Wii installment.

Xenoblade Chronicles X
WVW69i4Op5AeuaU0lG

It took 160 Hours. One day I might have all the achievements but a few absurdly stupid online ones might make it impossible, we'll see. They don't count towards 100% so it's not too big of a deal. Today is a good day.

Overall this game did sidequests, combat, side characters, and exploration way better than the original, but the story and main cast of characters were way worse than the original. I prefer Xenoblade X over XC because I really couldn't give a shit if a game has a terrible story as long as the actually important stuff is fun. And Xenoblade X didn't have an atrocious story, it wasn't good but it redeemed itself slightly in Chapters 10-12 and that one moment in Chapter 5. not to mention the story that's worth caring about in XCX can be found in all the sub-plots running throughout the entire game in the form of sidequests, NPC's I helped out in the very first dozen hours of the game were still relevant and memorable in my final few hours. One of the final missions was a battle gauntlet against all the friends you'd made within all the different species you'd brought to NLA and it was so nice to see all my time and effort culminate in something cool, a whole city filled with many different species co-existing where I could walk down a street and recognise all these names.

I rushed to the end of Xenoblade Chronicles because after 50 hours, none of the side quests, exploration or grinding was any fun and I just wanted to see the end of the game. After 150 Hours of playing Xenoblade Chronicles X, I had long finished the main story but still had side quests I wished to complete and still loved flying around and exploring the planet (which btw is fucking beautiful).

Anyway, if you want an amazing story-driven experience; Xenoblade Chronicles is your game. If you want an amazing gameplay-driven experience; Xenoblade Chronicles X is your game.

and if you want a fucking bad-ass mech (like the Ares 90 *cue the heavenly light*) then XCX is your game.

Castlevania Order of Ecclesia

Eh the other Castlevanias I have played(except maybe Circle of the Moon but I haven't finished that one) were more fun. Sorrow games had plenty of creative and fun to use souls, and Harmony of Dissonance had a variety of spells that felt pretty creative and were nice. Ecclesia's glyph system is not really like bad(fast-firing weapons and spells are neat) but minus the MP regeneration buff I'd kinda just prefer weapons(dual-wielded or not) and spells. Boss health is...a bit high I suppose. Seems to be meant to somewhat adjust for the high attack rate of glyphs, I suppose. I dunno, something about bosses felt a bit long, even the earlier ones.

Shanoa's totes cool though. Albus is fine too.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, because I know I'll need to get it off my system to make room for Fire Emblem Fates.

It was a pretty good game, but the bosses were decent at best for the most part and the plot moved slowly.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, got every achievement

Really good game. I recommend it to anyone who's ever expressed a desire to have fun

Xenoblade Chronicles

excellent conclusion to an excellent game, the final boss was somewhat tough and the ending like the rest of the game's story was wonderful despite cliched. i mean the story is filled with cliches ive seen before, i could list a stackload but the execution and use of them is excellent to the point that it doesnt even matter at all. the amount of content in the story is enough to make a trilogy out of it, it's that good. i liked how things started of small and just expanded, it's almost like your perception of the game's universe keeps changing, most importantly at the end when you find out that the how the world was created.

well worth the 75 hours

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (WiiWare Version) (+ the DLC case)

oh.

boy.

>that face when the 1€ dlc case took you 15 1/2 hours to complete

now thats what i call great dlc.

it also was easily the best case in the entire game, only being somewhat rivaled by case 4 (my memory of it is a big foggy though).

i mean who wouldve thought that you would have to go through 4 seperate incidents (the "murder", which turned out to be just lana skye trying to dispose of the body, the actual murder (even though very briefly, and you didnt really have to do anything), the thing where marshall disguised himself as goodman, and the case SL-9 from 2 years ago) only to find out what has actually happened

i mean this all couldve been avoided but WOW gant did a fucking good job at planning this, only sad part he got kinda lazy at the end because i think it wouldve been totally avoidable to kill Goodman. And nobody wouldve ever found out that Gant was involved in all this (probably).

I mean he did do a tier 2 troll in that it looked like he hid evidence because it would help him, only to find out that its actually a trap he laid, only to find out that it actually did prove he was the one who killed marshall back then as well (or at least thats how i understood it, in all honesty, after playing for 6 straight hours my concentration let go for a bit).

tbh i kinda wanted him to win because damn

but oh well, it was also great to see edgeworth basically being like "look we both know it was gant so lets just fuck him alright?", also Gumshoe being a better character in this case imo as well.

also he was generally cooperative in this case, i guess a good effect of wright helping him in case 4 (and their shared past)

fucking 10/10 case anyways, summarizing my thoughts about the rest of the game (back from when i played the first 4 cases) in these citations:

horses tbh said:
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (WiiWare version)

holy shit

played the first case

that was

entirely different from what i have expected

and it was gooooooooood

horses tbh said:
The Janitor said:

played the second trial of the first case

if every trial is as intense as those two i think im losing my shit

this game exceeds my expectations by about 500%

also the german translation is really great, which is something i cant say about many games that came out since the deep 90s (aka seiken densetsu 2 (secret of mana) and link's awakening)

horses tbh said:
The Janitor said:

Beat Episode 2

Just how do they manage to keep making the game more epic with every new trial.

horses tbh said:
Eri Ayase said:

Episode 3, Day 2, just before the trial

maaan those investigations are mildly boring

put they make you even more hyped for the trials

oh fuck the trials

those are the best things ive seen in a while

horses tbh said:
Eri Ayase said:

dat second trial of episode 3

where do they get all these plot twists from?
horses tbh said:
Eri Ayase said:

Completed Episode 3

dat part where Phoenix thought he'd come up with a question while smashing on his table, and then Edgeworth who thought he'd come up with a question while objecting.

Yeah the ending was kinda obvious tbh, but a very entertaining case nonetheless.

also

Phoenix x Edgeworth otp EDITOR NOTE: #nohomo

horses tbh said:
Eri Ayase said:

Started Episode 4.

NO

NO EDGEWORTH

Y U DO DIS?

horses tbh said:
Eri Ayase said:

Finished the second day of investigations in Ep 4

well its pretty damn obvious that the guy from the boat rental is the murderer of edgeworth's father

but damn

what even happened there

if being stuck in an elevator for 5 hours isnt bad enough, also having your father killed while being stuck in there is even heavier

cant blame edgeworth honestly

and he didnt lie when he said von karma is an even bigger asshole than him, hory shet

+also now we know the game plays in 2016.

horses tbh said:
Eri Ayase said:

Finished the second trial of episode 4.

So Edgeworth did commit a murder.

I'm seeing an evil plottwist coming.

And Larry isn't the most useless character in the game anymore, so that's cool.

I honestly thought I chose a wrong option when the "guilty" came up tho, lol.

Also what the fuck are they seriously trying to still arrest Edgeworth now that it's basically confirmed that it wasn't him?

horses tbh said:
Eri Ayase said:

Finished the last investigation of Episode 4

oh fk

Karma is legit evil and not just an asshole

and

Edgeworth killed his father (accidentally)

this trial gon b gud

also what the fuck

did phoenix literally just become a lawyer because of edgeworth

HA GAA- *shot*

horses tbh said:
Eri Ayase said:

Finished Episode 4 (and the main game)

THE PARROT WAS A LEGIT WITNESS

HAHAHAHA

other than that, was pretty obvious that we could tell them who the guy from the boat rentals was.

and then literally edgeworth went away and claimed that he killed his father

im like yeah okay not my problem

phoenix is like OMG NO U ARENT GUILTY

LETS SEE UH

CRAP I DONT KNOW WHY BUT YOU ARENT GUILTY

and then by some fucking miracle he actually finds out that the murderer in dl 6 was von karma

wow

that trial beat everything else in the game, a truly grand finale.

kinda sad that maya left, but quite honestly, she was useless asf

shes like luke in the professor layton games, he has like one purpose per game, and the rest of the time he just does idk what, maybe fapping all the time

aaaaanyways

fucking 10/10 game. honestly. the writing, the presentation and the music literally fit in perfectly. the gameplay was okay, considering it was a text based courtroom simulator / sorta text-rpg

the only thing that could attest the game with, was the overly , sorta 'drawn-out' characters (ex who show one character trait overly stretched out (white's naracicissm, april may's uhm uh, bitchyness, von karma's just downright evilness etc.)), though that (for some characters) honestly didn't even bother me, and it gave each character a really memorable appearence (i remember every character from the game, except for the first murderer, really well), and i also disliked the somewhat lazyness of the producers to just not show some things but rather just write them (like for example when they check von karma with the metal detector in the final case), but then again hardware limitations, because we all know the gameboy advance sucked more than it should have.

but still the negative points literally didnt bother me at all, and the game was epic af, there were like 90 plottwists, and even if the investigations were boring at times, all in all they still gave the game some more play value.

but really ESPECIALLY case 3 really overdid it with the back and forth walking. i hope this is adressed in later games in the series.

this was literally one of the best games ive ever played. not quite at the top of the list, but definatly in the top 10.

and i didnt even play the final episode

To the above post I can only add, my opinion has been fully cemented. Great game, truly 10/10.

But I have to keep asking myself

how

just how does the anime want to stand up against this

i mean

im kinda worried right now

if it actually is a faithful recreation of the game for some reason, then, fucking props could be one of the best animes out there.

just idk i dont really see how it works rn.

like, i hope its going to be great but i have doubts

also ive bought the other 2 games on wiiware now so im set to play those as well.

something to add about case 5:

i mean honestly

15 1/2 hours

that fucking case went places man

Back