More official "echo fighters" --- character texture swaps?

Dorayaki

King Bowser
During Brawl era, many fansites had been devoting to make "texture hacks"--- changing the textures of existed characters so that in the game they look like other people, not just in a different color of clothes. This is to solve the problem that many notable characters didn't make it to the very popular game series, which is a pity for loyal Nintendo fans.

I've been wondering why don't Nintendo do it by themselves? And somehow, now in the fourth title Nintendo really decide to give it a try. :P

640px-SSB4_-_Female_Villager.jpg
640px-Smash.4_-_Wii_Fit_Trainer_-_Female_and_Male.jpg

But we're not sure how this idea go in the future. Many other common fanmade texture hack haven't been approved by Nintendo so far, which mostly include:

Mario series:
Mario: Metal Mario(already in? :P)
Peach: Pauline, Pink Gold Peach
Diddy: Dixie
Yoshi: Birdo
DK: Funky
Bowser: Dry version

other series:
Fox: Krystal
Lucas: Kumatora, Paula
Sonic: Amy, Shadow, Silver
Zelda: Midna
Toon Link: most toon character
Pokemon: different major trainers in game and anime

Basically even though the movesets are shared, these additional characters still need different voice actors in game. I wonder if most players care more about the characters, or want each one have different playability?

Re: One model for more than one player?

Yeah sounds good for characters like Mario but I'm not sure it would fit with characters like Sonic

I like this idea to a degree. Some things could work, others don't. I think it's better served for alternate costumes or alternate versions of the character (EX: Plumber Suit Wario and Dr. Mario would be nice costumes). Not an entirely different character even if they're similar in some way.

Dorayaki said:
Mario series: Mario: Luigi

Luigi is his own character established since SSB64. They would not demote him as one of Mario's alternate costumes or models.

Peach: Daisy, Rosalina

Daisy is of course already a costume and I think it will stay that way. A Rosalina costume would be nice as well. But I don't think getting an official playable spot on a Smash Bros. roster is in the future for any of these 2

Diddy: Dixie

That could actually work well. Considering Diddy had a Dixie like coloring in Brawl

Yoshi: Birdo

Nah. Don't think so. Birdo's alot different from Yoshi. And Birdo's also not a character that deserves a Smash Bros. spot

DK: Funky

This wouldn't be a bad idea though. It'd be kinda funny giving a costume Funky has to Donkey Kong. But only Costume purposes of course. Funky wouldn't get a spot on his own.

Bowser: Dry version

Again excellent Alternate Costume idea.

other series: Fox: Krystal

Really based on your ideas you could also move both Falco and Wolf under a different model for Fox. But they'll probably remain seperate characters. And Krystal if she gets a spot probably will also have a separate spot because of some obvious moveset differences they can give her (Staff and such)

Lucas: Kumatora, Paula

I suppose that'd be alright. But I think the Earthbound series will stay with just Lucas and Ness. Unless they're putting like Ness in Paula's dress (Which would be hilarious) don't think so.

Sonic: Amy, Shadow, Silver

I think a better idea would be Classic Sonic. Not only would it still fit because it's still Sonic but Sega would be advertising Sonic Generations with that. Even if well... he's smaller

I wonder if most players care more about the characters, or want each one have different playability?

We do care about characters for this game. But we want a wide representation of Nintendo as a whole and at the same time not wanting too many characters. On another note I hope they expand upon more alternate costumes for the fighters. In Brawl only Wario got his Plumber suit for another 6 costumes. The only think that'd make this void is if Downloadable Characters come into play for SSB4. If that happens Nintendo can go nuts with any character and the player chooses which characters they want in their game.

I did state some possible alternate outfits, relating to Smash 4...

Mario: Dr. Mario
Fox McCloud: James McCloud (Star Fox, NOT F-Zero)
Captain Falcon: Blood Falcon (the model gets affected more)
Peach: Daisy, Rosalina
Wario: Classic Wario
Olimar: Louie, The President
Sonic: Shadow
King K. Rool: Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K. Roolenstein
Ridley: Meta Ridley
Starfy: Starly

MnSG said:
Basically, all they'd have to do is change the Falcon emblem on his helmet to a skull on his Blood Falcon swap and there ya go.

Phoenix could also work.

'3K said:
MnSG said:
Basically, all they'd have to do is change the Falcon emblem on his helmet to a skull on his Blood Falcon swap and there ya go.

There's more to Blood Falcon than that though. For instance, compare Blood Falcon's shoulder pad to Captain Falcon's.

005.jpg
013.jpg

Ya got me there. I forgot that little detail. I would love to see a full-on Blood Falcon swap. He's my favorite F-Zero character. shame his craft is so awful in gx

On the off-chance that Bowser Jr. is included, an old-school Baby Bowser swap would be great as well.

If vertex hacking one character slot into an entirely different character is possible for characters, I don't see why not. But the only problem I see is making separate noises if the character is different.

Baby Luigi said:
If vertex hacking one character slot into an entirely different character is possible for characters, I don't see why not. But the only problem I see is making separate noises if the character is different.

This is pretty much something that should pretty much be avoided for alternate outfits, since we don't want them to act like they're completely different characters.

The problem is, not everyone has alternate costumes. Kirby for example. I think everyone should at least get an alternate costume, not make it exclusive only to Wario.

Baby Luigi said:
The problem is, not everyone has alternate costumes. Kirby for example. I think everyone should at least get an alternate costume, not make it exclusive only to Wario.

That would not be fully possible for some characters though. If you missed it, I did input my possible alternate outfit thoughts.

These do work fine. They don't drastically change the character and are easy to texture hack. Compared to turning Toon Link into Waluigi and all

Good ideas, if they put toon Zelda in it they could use Tetra as a transformation and could introduce some of Links/Toon Links alternate costumes.

Deku link would be a better toon Link swap
Engineer Link?
Sumo Link? DO IT!

Well he hasn't been round sinec MM so some more new outfits would be more likley.

I really like this idea.

I've seen Samus vertexed into Kyogre and there were no glitches associated with it.

That's a little extreme, though.

Ornithologist Mario said:
I really like this idea.

I've seen Samus vertexed into Kyogre and there were no glitches associated with it.

What is?

Yoshidude99 said:
Ornithologist Mario said:
I really like this idea.

What is?

If you are asking what is a Kyogre, it's a Pokemon.

He's clearly asking what's so extreme.

And to answer him: it definitely would be a big model swap from Samus into Kyogre.

I think modifying a PSA is more complex than a mere vertex edit, even though it looks impossible to turn Samus into Kyogre or Toon Link into Waluigi

Baby Luigi said:
I think modifying a PSA is more complex than a mere vertex edit, even though it looks impossible to turn Samus into Kyogre or Toon Link into Waluigi

Vertexing and PSA hacks are beyond what I'm capable of doing. If I want a vertex, I'd just request one to be done; for one example, the White Mage vertex on Peach.

Back