What do you think is the most difficult Mario game to 100%?

Marwikedor

Marwikedor
Banned User
And by Mario game I mean of every Mario, Wario, Yoshi, or Donkey Kong game. 100% means 120 stars in SM64 and SMS, for example, 242 in SMG1and2, 101% in Donkey Kong Country and DK64, etc. etc.

There hardest Mario game to 100% (and I have 100%ed all of them) to me is Yoshi's Island.

Yoshi's Island DS. Hands down.

Baby Luigi said:
Yoshi's Island DS. Hands down.
Oh crap that is the ONLY mario game I have yet to 100% I was going to a year ago but I cant find the cartridge so I better get a new one somewhere.

Is it [YIDS] even harder than the Super Mario Advance remake of Yoshi's Island which included, among others, Endless World of Yoshi's that the original SNES version didn't?

I never played Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island (shameful, huh?), but in Yoshi's Island DS, you have to collect ALL red coins, ALL flowers, and don't let your star meter go down ONCE (or something like that) in ONE play-through of the level

Baby Luigi said:
I never played Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island (shameful, huh?), but in Yoshi's Island DS, you have to collect ALL red coins, ALL flowers, and don't let your star meter go down ONCE (or something like that) in ONE play-through of the level
Since you have to do ALL THOSE THINGS in Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island, it doesn't answer my question as to which of those two games is harder to 100%.

Don't ask someone who's never played the original Yoshi's Island :-\

Is it [YIDS] even harder than the Super Mario Advance remake of Yoshi's Island which included, among others, Endless World of Yoshi's that the original SNES version didn't?

Unlike the original, you can't win items from the bonus games so you can't, say, use a 10 stars panel if you got hit during a boss battle.

The Yoshi Egg Quest in Super Mario Advance takes the cake IMO, if only for the sheer inanity of it.

The Yoshi egg thing is daunting at first but around world 3 or 4 you start getting a sense for where they're hidden. It didn't give me too much trouble.

100%-ing Yoshi's Island on the other hand requires completion of Endless World of Yoshis.

Herr Shyguy said:
The Yoshi egg thing is daunting at first but around world 3 or 4 you start getting a sense for where they're hidden. It didn't give me too much trouble.

100%-ing Yoshi's Island on the other hand requires completion of Endless World of Yoshis.

Yeah that's right Endless World of Yoshi's was a nightmare but it only took me a day or two. Since the original SNES didn't have the six cruel secret stages like EWOY, it is far easier to 100% (I know this and I have never 100%ed the original SNES version, but I know for a fact I could and it would be much easier. It's like beating a huge weight lifer at arm wrestling and then telling that guy he can't beat a skinny nerd who has never lifted weights).

But it was mentioned you cant use star panels on bosses in YIDS. I know, atleast in the GBA version of Yoshis Island, you couldnt either (although you could use the star panels ANYWHERE ELSE), you have to suicide yoshi and start again with the boss from the Middle Ring

At least Yoshi's Island DS gives your lives out like candy. Not sure about Super Mario World 2, though.

The Yoshi's Island games truly are the toughest to get 100% in, since that means finding all red coins and flowers without taking any damage in boss fights.

MnSG said:
The Yoshi's Island games truly are the toughest to get 100% in, since that means finding all red coins and flowers without taking any damage in boss fights.

Don't forget that you have to do it all in one run or else you're a failure because if you get only 75% of red coins, you have to restart from the beginning where you had 0%.

Donkey Kong Country Returns can also be quite tough to fully complete. Maybe not to 100%, but to 200%. Mirror Mode is DKCR's answer to the Kaizo Mario hacks.

Sorry, never played any Donkey Kong games except for Donkey Kong 64.

Another tough game to 100%: Mario Superstar Baseball. Some star challenges sound IMPOSSIBLE (I'm looking at you, Baby Mario's booting ball and Mario's pitching a perfect game)

IF you include getting all the Shiney Golds in "Donkey Kong Country Returns", it is more difficult to 100% than "Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island".

HOWEVER, since Time Attack Mode is NOT required for 200% completion (Yes, it stops at 200%, too bad its not 201), I would have to say it is a draw (200% completion DOES include beating Mirror Mode, finding all the Puzzel Pieces and beating all of the Temple Stages). Were it not for Mirror Mode, DKCR definitely would not be tied with SMA3:YI for maximum percentage completion difficulty, in fact it would be a distant second!

I think Wario Land Shake it is very very hard to 100% as doing some of the missions are are very difficult and lots of stages always have a very hard to complete Time missions. And some missions are really easy and then some are so easy to mess up.

Young Link said:
I think Wario Land Shake it is very very hard to 100% as doing some of the missions are are very difficult and lots of stages always have a very hard to complete Time missions. And some missions are really easy and then some are so easy to mess up.

Defeating the Shake King without taking any damage is nearly impossible to pull off.

If only Shake it had sold. It was a nice little game. It was a bomb. Wario may have been unlockable in SMG2 had shake it sold. Wouldnt that have been awesome. Not as good a jumper and slower, but more power!

MnSG said:
Young Link said:

Defeating the Shake King without taking any damage is nearly impossible to pull off.
The Time mission is really hard as well but the coin one is easy like I said.

Back