Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Toad

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • The babies

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
Okay, since Smasher decided to make an "Overrated Mario Characters" thread, I thought it'd only be fair if an "Underrated Mario Characters" thread gets made. This is for characters who you think don't receive enough love from the Mario fanbase.

Yoshi, Luigi, and Geno.

F stands for "Fuck yeah"... so, cool.

Out of the poll you added.... Probably Donkey Kong.

What kind of person hands out Fs that stand for facepalm

but whatever I never really understood you anyways.

I think my reason is that he's kind of underrated, that's why I voted for him.

@Ralph: Super fuck yeah.

Raphael, I think you need to chill out, bro.
Raphael said:
Forget it. Would a mod be so kind as to lock this? Only 2 people have posted here and half of them can't even take this seriously. This is NOT Mindless Junk, Crash. X(

Half of 2 is 1. 1 person not taking a topic serious (by your own standards, I may add) does not make a topic lock-able. And this has only been up for about 30 minutes. If topics were deemed not serious because no one replied in a speedy manner, I don't think we'd even have a MW Forum anymore.

ANYWAYS. I believe Kamek is totally underrated. He's clearly a super-powerful Magikoopa, but he doesn't really do much more than make things get big. He should totally have a drawn out back story and his own games and everything~

Hypnotoad said:
Raphael, I think you need to chill out, bro.
Half of 2 is 1. 1 person not taking a topic serious (by your own standards, I may add) does not make a topic lock-able. And this has only been up for about 30 minutes. If topics were deemed not serious because no one replied in a speedy manner, I don't think we'd even have a MW Forum anymore.

Sorry, I'm just one of those people with a very short fuse and gets easily irritated. But I've calmed down a bit (thank you, Forum Games).

Hypnotoad said:
ANYWAYS. I believe Kamek is totally underrated. He's clearly a super-powerful Magikoopa, but he doesn't really do much more than make things get big. He should totally have a drawn out back story and his own games and everything~

Too far. But I agree with the back story. In fact, I think pretty much everybody needs a back story.

Dammit I was going to make this.

I say Wario, but he's not on the poll. :|

Raphael said:
Hypnotoad said:

Too far. But I agree with the back story. In fact, I think pretty much everybody needs a back story.

What do you mean too far? It's an opinion-based poll and I gave my opinion. I even gave you a reason like you've been begging for this entire topic.

@ Smasher: Added Wario.

@ Hypnotoad: No, I meant having Kamek star in his own game sounds a little bit...far fetched. If you were offended, sorry, didn't mean to do that.

I say the Shroobs.

I mean seriously, what's not awesome about an alien invasion in a Mario game? It's the darkest the series has ever gotten!

I honestly hope that they appear in M&L 4 because they were such a great idea.

What about Toad? Shouldn't he be here?

From what I've seen, he's always being treated poorly. He's the only protagonist from SMB 2 to be not on an equal standing as the other three in the later games (one big one was Super Paper Mario - the other 3 + Bowser, but no Toad). He's even the most neglected of the Mario Big 8 (even on the Mario Wiki, he was changed to a minor character rather than a major during the anniversary polls). He received his own game, yes; but, that game did very little to add to his own backstory (adding to the fact that they named the game after Wario rather than Toad). He was not even put in a captain status in games like the Mario Baseball series and Mario Strikers while less important characters like Birdo and Petey were made captain in the respective games. It is just sad when you see all the other characters from a childhood game like SMB 2 become important while the one you loved gets neglected instead.

Also it seems that there is a lot of people who generally don't show love to Toad (often calling him useless or unworthy of the sort). I am hoping Toad makes it with a major role in the newer games as after NSMB Wii (which featured generic Toads, but still) he seems to being put in a lot of the upcoming Mario games. I am also hoping that he becomes playable in the next Smash to prove his importance (yet, people still don't see him as important).

Sorry for the rant; I just felt like I had to get this off my mind. :toad: But, again I still think Toad should be here...

Personally I feel that Toad gets a relatively good opinion considering that he doesn't appear in many games and isn't all that important (at least to me anyway).

But you could argue the same thing about half the people on the list.

Especially Goombario.

Personally I feel that Toad gets a relatively good opinion considering that he doesn't appear in many games and isn't all that important (at least to me anyway).

Actually Toad is one of the most reccurring characters in the Mario series if you weren't aware of that. He has appeared in almost all of the main series Mario games, spin-off games, RPG, and other genres (putting him right after Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser in terms of appearances). Just check out the amount he appeared in. However, he deserves more than just a lot of cameos (and better rep as a character than a species).

Judging from that post, I can see that you aren't much of a Toad fan. However, what I am trying to say is that he needs better roles as he seems to be very underrated as a character. He appears in many games, and deserves better.

Also Goombario? Really? I agree that he could get some love, but he is a Paper Mario exclusive character. Toad has been here since the beginning and was one of the earliest characters that many of us have played as in many of the early Mario titles. There is a reason why Toad appears in all genres of the Mario series, and not just the main series. Additionally, on that poll many of those characters have at least received major roles every now and then while Toad only gets one once in a while.

P.S. Sorry Raphael if I'm making this thread into a Toad arguement thread.

Propeller Toad said:
P.S. Sorry Raphael if I'm making this thread into a Toad arguement thread.
How about we simply drop Toad and discuss Goombario.

Propeller Toad said:
Goombario? Really? I agree that he could get some love, but he is a Paper Mario exclusive character. Toad has been here since the beginning and was one of the earliest characters that many of us have played as in many of the early Mario titles. There is a reason why Toad appears in all genres of the Mario series, and not just the main series. Additionally, on that poll many of those characters have at least received major roles every now and then while Toad only gets one once in a while.
There, cut out everything that was about Toad.

I honestly don't see why the little guy has so much popularity; I mean, he's a good character but quite minor and he only appeared once.

If you look right from the starting days of Mario rather than the new games, you'll understand why Toad has such a fan base. Did he get this from being a minor NPC in a few games. No, he got this from SMB2, Mario Kart, Wario's Woods, and many other titles that many of us played when we were younger. We played as Toad, and would like to continue doing so like with Mario, Luigi, and Peach. Toad at least deserves better, so that the younger generation knows that Toad is important (as opposed to thinking that he is a minor character that can't do anything by himself).

I initially came to this thread to suggest if Toad can be here though you appear to not agree with me. I'm sorry for the rant, but you in a way questioned me about why Toad is underrated. If I can't say the reason here without being off topic, I don't know where I can (considering that the topic we're discussing here is underrated characters and you don't seem agree with my point). This is why I posted back such long posts. I could make my own thread, yes, but this thread is essentially serving for character discussions like this one (people agree or disagree why a character is underrated).

Anyways, let's move on (since that is what you want).

I have a feeling this is going to devolve into a "who's my favorite character" thread. People can just suggest whoever they want, even one shot characters.

You'd think I'd vote Shroobs, but I don't think their underrated, just not in enough games. They seem to get plenty of credit as the darkest villains in Mario history, so there's that. If they were in another RPG (or a mainstream game, though that's probably not going to happen) in a greater role, I'd be satisified (kinda).

Donkey Kong. I never see anyone use in MKW :'( and if do they usually do rubbish.

@ Propellor Toad: Well, I personally don't think Toad is really underrated, since he's very popular with many fans. But I do agree Nintendo has treated him rather poorly and should have his own game or at least a bigger role in a future release. Anyway, I've added him to the poll.

@ Dr. Javelin: Yeah, the Shroobs are cool, but personally, I think the Shadow Queen from TTYD is darker. After all, she's a 1000 year old demon.

Peach and Bowser Jr. seem to be underrated. Peach always plays the damsel, while Bowser Jr. is mostly Bowser's assistant captain.

Back