• DKCR

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • NSMBWii

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

Marwikedor

Marwikedor
Banned User
I say this without hyperbole, because DKCR has been out for ten months, but DKCR is truly the best Donkey Kong game EVER. I love both games, but DKCR is a TRIUMPH!!! It deserved 10s right across the critical board, but only averaged 88% or something on Metacritic. Why I'll never know. And it is tough! How many games these days are too easy?!! Mirror Mode is hardest, perhaps tied with getting all the Shiney Gold Medals in Time Attack. Not getting all the Shiney Golds is the ONLY thing I haven't done, I have a few levels still where I only have Gold. But other than that, I got all the Puzzle Pieces, beat Mirror Mode, all K-O-N-G letters, etc. It is a triumph if ever there was or ever will be one.

But the difficulty, which I LOVVVVED, stopped it from getting perfect 10s. Stupid pansie reviewers. Ever notice how videogame reviewers always suck at games? They thought NSMBWii was hard, other than a couple levels in World 9, it never became exceedingly difficult. Who can remember Super Mario Galaxy 2 being toated as the "hardest 3D Mario" yet? ...

'3K said:
DKCR easily. NSMBWii felt like it was playing it too safe.
My only gripe with DKCR is that it brought back that F#(KING Super Guide from NSMBWii and SMG2! Arrrrgh I hate that thing!!!!!

'3K said:
Well, it's not like you had to use it.
No, but but could old-school gamers have even IMAGINED such a thing? What, do the game developers want to hold your hand for you while you walk to put the game in the console? The main reason it is SOOOOOO stupid is because don't games get progressively harder? So this kid is going to use Super Guide to get through, let's say, 4-3, won't he need it again and more on 4-5? What about 4-6? LET ALONE 8-1 or 8-2! See my point?

Mario for 4 Player.

I still like Donkey Kong. I just like 4 Player more.

Marwikedor said:
'3K said:
Well, it's not like you had to use it.
No, but but could old-school gamers have even IMAGINED such a thing? What, do the game developers want to hold your hand for you while you walk to put the game in the console? The main reason it is SOOOOOO stupid is because don't games get progressively harder? So this kid is going to use Super Guide to get through, let's say, 4-3, won't he need it again and more on 4-5? What about 4-6? LET ALONE 8-1 or 8-2! See my point?

If you don't have to use it, you really don't need to complain about it. It's meant for people who don't want to go through all of the stress of the extremely hard levels (though, I'd argue they were playing the wrong game, but still).

Anyways, definitely DKCR. New Super Mario Bros. was frustrating in a completely different way, one that made me reconsider playing the game with my brother.

Both Great games but DKCR blew me away.

I found myself less disappointed with New Super Mario Brothers Wii than I was with Donkey Kong Country Returns, so that's what I voted for.

other than those stupid Rocket barrel level and waggling to roll DKCR was an incredibly inspired and fun romp. My favorite Wii game.

NSMBWii wasn't bad at all (or else I wouldn't have beaten it) but it felt a smidge uninspired. A lot of the levels feel like they are centered around a single gimmick but they don't test your pattern recognition and subvert expectations the same way DKCR do. And though that's probably the input lag caused by the TV, something felt "off" with the jump physics.

Glowsquid said:
other than those stupid Rocket barrel level and waggling to roll DKCR was an incredibly inspired and fun romp. My favorite Wii game.

NSMBWii wasn't bad at all (or else I wouldn't have beaten it) but it felt a smidge uninspired. A lot of the levels feel like they are centered around a single gimmick but they don't test your pattern recognition and subvert expectations the same way DKCR do. And though that's probably the input lag caused by the TV, something felt "off" with the jump physics.
Using the analog stick doesn't feel right in a 2D game, but the fact that you had to shake the controller to roll forced me to use the Wii Mote and Nunchuck. It actually felt ok in DKCReturns. Holding just the Wiimote and shaking it to roll felt awkward.

Why Nintendo doesn't support the Classic controller in any of their retail release, I have /no/ idea.

Glowsquid said:
Why Nintendo doesn't support the Classic controller in any of their retail release, I have /no/ idea.
Exactly. I bought one, I don't know why they hardly let me use it.

'3K said:
Glowsquid said:
Exactly. I bought one, I don't know why they hardly let me use it.
I don't even got one. What good is it? If you don't feel like using the Wii Remote and Nunchuck in Smash Brawl, you can just use a GC controller.

I bought one mainly for the SNES games. Playing Super Metroid with a GCN controller just feels wonky.

Glowsquid said:

Probably because Nintendo wants to focus more on motion-sensing controls, along with that Nunchuk attachment.

Back