Anyone excited for Fortune Street Wii?

Propeller Toad

Dislikes the amount of neglect Toad receives...

While it seems that everyone is talking excitedly for many of the upcoming Mario games previewed from this year's e3, there is one game that is not being discussed at all on this forums (as well as several others). This game is yet another Nintendo and Square-Enix cross-over, and this game is known as Fortune Street. In short terms, Fortune Street is a game that is similar to Mario Party, but then again it plays very differently from the actual Mario Party games. It is more of a monopoly-esque game (if you get what I mean). Japan has received several types of this game genre (eg. check out Itadaki Street DS); however, Fortune Street I believe is the very first of these games to be arriving in many of the other countries.

Back to topic. So, am I excited for this game? Well, while I do see it's potential and see it as an interesting game; I must say that it is not in my list of most anticipated games as of yet (not yet at least). Regardless, I am still interested. However, there are other things that makes this game quite interesting to check out. For one thing, the characters from the Dragon Quest franchise will be returning in this game (not to forget the recognizable Slime). Additionally, one of the most amusing concepts is the fact that the characters actually speak in full sentences (yes, in speech bubbles and not voices, but still this is the Mario characters we are talking about). Additionally, the things that each character says is unique to the character itself and they often refer to things of their own characteristics and established personalities. For example, Bowser talks in a very aggressive and fierce tone, while Toad talks in a more relaxed one with references to items such as the Fire Flower. Even Mario talks in full sentences (something we have not seen since the Mario Sports Mix conference video).

Fortune_street_JAP.png

So, anyways, are any of you guys excited for this game? Anyone planning to buy it directly once it comes out? Questions? Discuss...

Minor bump in order to make this noticed (guess the result is obvious).

You know, it does seem interesting, but with all the games coming out, I probably won't be buying it.

I'm more excited for this game than Super Mario Land 3D. That's for sure.

I think it's an interesting game. I will buy it once it is out.

Hm...it is true that the major outbreak of Mario games was previewed during this year's e3. Fortune Street is a new type of Mario game to the countries outside of Japan, so it was not recognized as fast. However, it is good to see the interest available in people. Perhaps, if the English speaking countries can get more info for the game, more of us would understand what features will make this title a distinct one.

Also an update: Seems like Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong are newcomers for now. The news for this game is slowly leaking in...

I wonder how the game is played... I've heard about the Japan-only DS version, but how it plays still confuses me.

^I'm in the same boat as you. It seems that you have to go around the boards and buy estates and what not (kind of like monopoly). I'm sure there's more, but that is all I know for now. I'm guessing it plays like a classic board game mixed in with Mario Party (the mini-games).

What is the objective of the game?

I can't explain it properly, but this info is apparently from Wikipedia about the Itadaki Street types of games (includes Fortune Street):

The games are similar to Monopoly: players roll one die to advance around a board, purchase unowned property they land on and earn money when opponents land on the player's property, and draw cards when they land on certain spaces. The games also differ from Monopoly in that players can buy and sell stocks of a block, affecting the value of block's stock by buying or selling that block's stock or by developing a player owned property of that block which increases the value per share of stock for that block. It is not necessary to own the entire block to develop a property, though controlling more than one property of a block allows the player to develop their properties to larger buildings and collect more from opponents. Players must collect a set of four suits to level up and collect additional gold when the pass the starting position/bank. In most versions, up to four players can compete to win each board. To win a player must make it back to the bank with the board's required amount, which includes the total value of the player's stocks, property value, and gold on hand.

Will there be any more playable characters?

@Baby Luigi

According to the website (Japanese), all the participants of the Mario and Dragon Quest series from Itadaki Street DS will be returning. For both franchises, they will be getting four new reps. Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong are the first two revealed Mario series newcomers. So, now there are two more new Mario series characters to join as newcomers.

So it is pretty much anyone's game for any of the remaining non-playable Mario characters now :-\. I personally am hoping Toadette makes it in to complete the main Mario spin-off roster.

Link to character roster on website: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/itastwii/character/

It looks interesting, but I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to get it.

In order from most wanted to least wanted:

Paper Mario 4
Luigi's Mansion 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Party 9
Mario Kart 7
Fortune Street
Mario Tennis
Mario & Sonic 3

(not including the new SSB because there is almost absolutely nothing known about it)

As you can see, Fortune Steet's not high on my list. However, I am definitely planning to get it for Christmas. I plan to get the other Mario games coming out this year before Christmas (except Mario & Sonic 3 on Wii, which I also plan to get for Christmas, although I might not get it then since I also want the $70 Skyward Sword Wii remote bundle).

Anyways, I probably would be more excited about the game if I knew more about it. It was a Japan-only series, and it's only just coming to America (and Europe, I assume), so it's not very well-known to us. I am very curious to see how it works and stuff.

^Yeah, that is very true. I bet the best way to learn how this game works is to watch how Itadaki Street DS works (though this might be hard considering you cannot play this game in any other language aside from Japanese). Hope we see a new trailer.

Also, I just found the American website (well half a site) consisting of more info of how the game plays. For those interested of how the game works, you can read the details here:
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/FyieiQulhl3W4HJwao5OoCyg-3SAOlD8

@Propeller Toad: I just found out there was a limited amount of characters :(. Thanks anyway.

^Well, there is still hope. We still have two more available Mario slots, and seeing that we got Jr. and Diddy now, any character not playable yet can pretty much snag one of the two spots. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see who these two unrevealed characters are.

Back