Super Paper Mario: Reflections

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
So soon Paper Mario will debut on the 3DS, so I'm also thinking about Mario's last Paper outing: Super Paper Mario.

What are your opinions on it? I was a bit disappointed, because even though it was a decent game, as the Super part implies, it wasn't really a Paper Mario game. The plot was also kind of lame, and the pixls were completely annoying. And the search to get Piccolo was barely worth it, especially because it gets you out of the only turn-based battle in the game. :( And Super Dimentio was horribly easy. But overally, I think it was an okay game.

I never played it, but it looks like a big slap in the face for RPG people. It's a decent game stand-alone, however

nabber said:
The plot was also kind of lame
No way. Especially compared to the stories in most Mario games.

SPM is probably the worst out of all of the PMs, but it is still very good. It has some nice music, an amazing storyline, and is funny in some parts. The worst part is how easy it is. I beat the final boss on the first try, unlike with the other two games, where it took me tons of tries to beat the Shadow Queen and Bowser (especially the Shadow Queen x_X).

Yup. That was really annoying, because the other Paper Marios has a good difficulty curve, and SPM was like a bunny slope.

I don't hate it. It's just that... while it's a good game, it's kind of undermining the series. There are two Mario RPGs, and Paper Mario was the more tactic-based one. Then SPM comes along, slaps turn-based battles in the face, and creates a kind of platformer/action-adventure game.

The gameplay was decent and there were some nice and varied levels but god damn that fucking plot made me want to dig my eyes out with spoons. It's so corny and overdramatic, it made me completely embarrassed to be seen playing the game. I'd take a standard "Mario rescues Peach lol" plot over that crap any day.

It was nowhere near as good as the other two, but I still enjoyed it. I wish it was RPG based like the first two though, then it would've been perfect.

Not perfect, but pretty good. Glad PM3DS is returning to RPG style.

It was a good
nabber said:
platformer/action-adventure game.

It shouldn't be judged as an RPG, simply because it isn't one. You can't really compare its gameplay to Paper Mario's or PM:TTYD's. It's ok to compare other elements such as plot and partners, though.

I guess it's okay if Intelligent Systems decides to do a new concept, but the problem is that Paper Mario games are relatively few. I can imagine the fans' disappointment when they heard there was a new Paper Mario, but it turned out to be another Mario platformer.

I expected it to be a platforming game with RPG elements, and that's exactly what I got. Maybe people got the game thinking it would be a true RPG or something. The game was just fine, and I liked many of the elements to it.

Super Paper Mario is the only Paper Mario game I played but im gald there going back to RPG. The first two Paper Mario's look better in my opinion.

nabber said:
I was a bit disappointed,

I can't believe you just said that. SPM is one of the best Mario games out there. The story was really cool, the worlds were fun, music great, everything else great, and most of all Dimentio is in there :)

Paper Mario is known for its RPG, not for its platforming :/

Austin Powers said:
nabber said:
I was a bit disappointed,

I can't believe you just said that. SPM is one of the best Mario games out there. The story was really cool, the worlds were fun, music great, everything else great, and most of all Dimentio is in there :)

It was a good game overall. It just wasn't what I expected.

To be fair SPM had the best story and music but the gameplay in the others look better.

Granted, I kind of forgot a good deal of the game. Beat it a LONG time ago.

Back