Suggestions for Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamihoshi: I suppose this might come off as hostile,

but most of the users here have no idea what Linux is, let alone how to work it. You've brought it up in many of the solutions you post; they're looking for a simple solution to their problems, not one that involves spending money (for this problem, at least) and working with something that's completely foreign to them.

BLOF: As far as I know, using different computers doesn't affect your IP address, and I can't help you with the second one.

It's funny that no one warned us of sockpuppeting when my account was created. I don't recall saying right off the bat that BabyLuigiOnFire is my sister. Well, maybe I did, but it took me some time to type up my first user page.

Also, I don't think the private proxy is worth it. I rather face the annoying I.P. address message than pay every month.

>>The Magic School Bus
It works like this:

See it like you have 4 computers in 1 house, and you have 1 router with 1 subscription.
You have "192.168.0.100", your sister has "192.168.0.101", your mom has "192.168.0.102", and your dad has "192.168.0.103".
The router has "192.168.0.1".

These are internal IP addresses, and are only different in your house.
All of the computers are connected to the same router (either wirelessly, or through a cable), and your router goes to a modem, which yet again goes to your subscription at your ISP, which gives all of you the IP address "12.123.23.254", which is called external IP address, so only that IP address is viewable by people from the outside.
That's why you both have the same IP address.

Thanks for the info. You're very knowledgeable :)

This forum has 3000 members right? Well, if you look at their profiles, some members haven't made a single post since the day they registered. I think those members should have their account deleted. Same thing goes for any future members who don't make at least one post within one year of their registration.

Yoshiwalker said:
But some users might remember this and start being active and others joined just to send 'Shroom sections.

This is exactly what happened to me. As I've already said in other threads related to this, I joined in January '09 and started being active by the end of December '10.

Yoshiwalker said:
But some users might remember this and start being active and others joined just to send 'Shroom sections.

Well, I meant members like this.

Note that they have 0 posts and the last time they were active was the day they registered which has been more than one year. (They registered in 2008, and its 2011 now, its been 3 years, with no activity). Those are the members I'm talking about.

Roll said:
Yoshiwalker said:

Well, I meant members like this.

Note that they have 0 posts and the last time they were active was the day they registered which has been more than one year. (They registered in 2008, and its 2011 now, its been 3 years, with no activity). Those are the members I'm talking about.
I wasn't active until a month after registration. Some users maybe busy editing the wiki while others may forget.

Well, the inactive users are taking up usernames...

Jk, it's not serious enough.

Can we unsticky some topics now? Some haven't been posted in since January, and it's old news. I'm looking specifically at Gen V Pokémon game names revealed - Pokémon Black and White Versions thread and Ideas for Pokémon Generation V

Not to offend MarioWiki or their users (in case of offending), but I noticed that every time I scroll through post, everything works fine, until someone has a signature, hosted at MarioWiki itself.
As soon as one has a signature linked to an image of the Wiki, my browser hang, and I eventually miss the post, if I don't scroll back, and yet again hangs.

I'm mainly using Google Chrome 14.x (Dev Build), but this also happens in Firefox 5.
I only visit this site through Mac OS X, but this also happens on Windows (Vista, 7, and 8).
However, it doesn't happen in Linux, for some reason.

It can't depend on hardware, as I have 4 GB of RAM in every computer, of which one runs on a 3,06 GHz Core 2 Duo, and one on 2,4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 512 MB of Video RAM, etc.
It can't depend on internet connection neither, as I have 20 Mbps at home, and 1Gbps at work.

>>Prison Dog
That "Offending" part was a joke, the rest isn't.

I noticed some slowdown in certain topics too, but I just decided to turn off signatures.

>>Herr Shyguy
Maybe it's an idea to enable the word filter on "mariowiki.com/images", so all the signatures using them will be disabled in one go? (Just kidding, don't do that!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back