Suggestions for Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rules exist for a reason. You don't get to pick and choose which ones you follow.

Brie Loader said:
I've got a suggestion for improvement: "******" gets autocensored, right? So you shouldn't be able to warn people for using it. :)
But it's a racial slur, isn't it? If someone were to call someone else the n-word, I think that person should definitely be warned.

Also, if we autocensor that, shouldn't we autocensor all pejorative terms?

Brie Loader said:
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
Rules exist for a reason. You don't get to pick and choose which ones you follow.
I'm not picking which ones I follow, I'm using logic and common sense to assume that there are some obvious exceptions to the rules.

Yoshario said:
Brie Loader said:
I've got a suggestion for improvement: "******" gets autocensored, right? So you shouldn't be able to warn people for using it. :)
But it's a racial slur, isn't it? If someone were to call someone else the n-word, I think that person should definitely be warned.

Also, if we autocensor that, shouldn't we autocensor all pejorative terms?
The point is, I DIDN'T use it to refer to anyone.

That doesn't matter since the word is charged with racist meanings. It's used as a pejorative term against people of a certain race. People will therefore be offended by it, no matter if you intent was not to offend anyone.

There is a slight difference between 'n-word' and the real word. 'N-word' itself isn't offensive since it's just used to refer to the word, while the n-word is. And I don't see why you care about the ability to say the word but censored? Are you planning to use it?

The fact is, there are still people who could see it. The only reason it doesn't escape always being censored is because it's impossible to censor all but a certain amount of words. So, while it may not be censored for everyone, it is against one of our rules.

'******' is a derogatory term used against blacks, just like 'fag' is a derogatory term used against gay people. Just because some people don't find it offensive, doesn't mean everyone is okay with it.

The bottom line here is that any derogatory term that is generally used against a certain race, religion or whatever -- censored or not -- is still against rule 7.

How should I know? There's still people that would probably do it. That's besides the point though.

ANY racial, prejudicial, whatever slur is against the rules when it's used against someone.

Brie Loader said:

7. Show respect towards ALL members, no matter who they are. Do not flame people, or bait them into flaming you and don't be a troll. No racial slurs or any type of prejudicial comments.

So, yeah, you're still warned. Get over it.

Sure, whatever inflates your ego.

If you want to discuss this furthur, it will be in PM. Any more posts by you in this thread will be deleted, accompanied by another warn. That'd be 2 in a week, so enjoy your suspension.

Just thought I'd be extra clear.

Wow. The forum has hit an all-time low. Getting someone in trouble for just SAYING an insult, not even using it on anyone? Guys, that's what auto-censor is for.

ScarecrowPerson said:
Wow. The forum has hit an all-time low. Getting someone in trouble for just SAYING an insult, not even using it on anyone? Guys, that's what auto-censor is for.
The Rules said:
7. Show respect towards ALL members, no matter who they are. Do not flame people, or bait them into flaming you and don't be a troll. No racial slurs or any type of prejudicial comments.

Also, we have the auto-censor turned off. Just because an offensive word escapes the auto-censor, does not mean that it is allowed to be used.

Now, if anyone has anything more to say about this, it has to be in a PM to a Moderator; otherwise your post will be deleted, and you will be warned. End of discussion.

so can we increase the sig limit???

Toadbert said:
Passing thought; we should move the location to somewhere on the profile that is seen when you post.

I don't think that would be very necessary. On the other hand, I don't see why not.

Personally, I would rather see an offline/online thing off to the right, rather than a 'location' thing.

Upper Class Twit of the Year said:
Stooben Rooben said:
Personally, I would rather see an offline/online thing off to the right, rather than a 'location' thing.

"Personal Message (Offline)" doesn't count?
Yes, but I'm talking about having one of those

<-------------- over there.

We should have another board in the Archieve section for old popular and/or stickied threads that died or were locked. That would make room for new topics, pervent new users from bumping realy old outdated topics, and make the forum look more active since the old ones are out of the way. Examples of threads that could go in there are the Anime thread in General Entertament, and Let's Guess Ninji's Next Name Change since he's retired.

The anime thread will probably get more active again after Uniju comes back.

Fighter said:
The anime thread will probably get more active again after Uniju comes back.
Won't he just get banned again? :-/

Anyway, a couple more that could go in there are that guess M&L RPG's subtitle in the Marioverse and many others.

Psycho said:
We should have another board in the Archieve section for old popular and/or stickied threads that died or were locked. That would make room for new topics, pervent new users from bumping realy old outdated topics, and make the forum look more active since the old ones are out of the way. Examples of threads that could go in there are the Anime thread in General Entertament, and Let's Guess Ninji's Next Name Change since he's retired.

Yes, and the less popular can stay where they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back