Cursing

Yeah, I heard that the "two fingers up/Facebook profile photo" gesture considered rude in England.

Anyway, more on topic, I don't swear much in real life, but I do it somewhat online, as I feel less guilty about, especially here since the worst words are automatically censored, but I censor most of my mild swears as well, so the wrong people don't see it.

People do it every day in school. They always say "no cursing in school," but everyone just perceives it as "make sure there are no teachers around," yet most teachers in my school either don't care or have terrible ears. Nobody every gets in trouble for that kind of stuff anymore, unless it's an elementary school where a classmate might tell on you for doing it. It's impossible to go through a normal day of middle or high school without hearing an F or S word among general hallway conversations.

But the sad thing is, it's becoming more and more accepted these days. Parents don't care about it, and sometimes even say these words to their kids. Some parents even have the nerve to showcase their kids cursing on the internet. I bet by 2020, Nickelodeon shows will allow the word "damn," and by 2100, there won't be any such thing as a bleep.

"It's just a word," many people say. It's a word that's unnecessarily taking over society. Why do people say it? Because they hear other people say it, and they just "go with the flow." Also, it's an attention-grabber, and it works at getting your point across, even if it's not the best way to do so. "This is who I am" vs. "The is who the F*** I am." Which one makes you think of the statement more? Exactly... (brownie points for anyone who knows the source for that). It's sad really, but there's nothing we can do. All the adult celebrities say these words, heck even child role-models like Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber have been caught swearing.

BTW, has anybody ever heard of the "No Cussing Club"? It's led by a kid who was tired of hearing swears at his school. He has quite a lot of support, but just as much hate. He's the most cyber-bullied kid in the world, it seems. Any video on YouTube about them that's not against them has the same like-to-dislike ratio as Rebecca Black's "Friday." I just want to cry for him. :'( I feel so bad for all the undeserving hate and death threats he gets. He's not trying to abolish cussing from the world, can't people understand that? Keep up the good work, kid! Be strong! ;D

I haven't even cussed once in my whole damn life and I never fucking will.

But really, I cuss online WAY more than I do IRL. And I have no one stopping me from cussing. I just don't like to out loud.

Madam Fortress Mommy said:
I bet by 2020, Nickelodeon shows will allow the word "damn," and by 2100, there won't be any such thing as a bleep.
They do allow the D word. I've heard it in Penguins of Madagascar (unless I heard the wrong thing). I also remember a looong time ago when I was watching the Naked Brother Band they used that word in an episode.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Madam Fortress Mommy said:
I bet by 2020, Nickelodeon shows will allow the word "damn," and by 2100, there won't be any such thing as a bleep.
They do allow the D word. I've heard it in Penguins of Madagascar (unless I heard the wrong thing). I also remember a looong time ago when I was watching the Naked Brother Band they used that word in an episode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oizLMms61jY

NSFW-ish. I know circumcision isn't a cuss word but I'm surprised they had him say it for NO REASON other than Harold is Jewish. It was like "Meh, not offensive" but off the mark of the age group and a little tiny bit out of bounds IMO.

I hear kids in my school cursing like it's nothing. I admit, I have cursed sometimes but only when I am really mad. Alot of people curse in my school, even in front of the teachers. I honestly think it's stupid and inappropriate and I even heard my teacher say damn

I don't find "damn" to be that inappropriate. It's more like a religious thing, like "hell".

Funny story about cursing.

There was a Simpsons episode where Bart takes swear words out of the bible and thinks its okay to say them because they're in the bible. Milhouse is skeptical that one of the words Bart took out was a swear.

Bart: Shut the hell up you damn ass whore!

Some of the bad words were not even originally bad words. :P

Pansear said:
I cuss online WAY more than I do IRL. I just don't like to out loud.

This.

Yeah, I either say it mentally, censor it myself, etc.

Yeah, I swear mentally and online a lot, but never out loud. (dunno any foreign swear words though)

Well, you just saw three of them. Not telling you what language they come from, though.

So have I recently (Scheiße). People in my school use it as an "alternative" swear, and teachers don't care, probably because we have no classes that teach its language. Plus, there's now a song with this word as the title, so it's going to be used much more often.

About the "outside circumstances," Hey Arnold! was one of those few shows that was able to get away with a lot of things. I know Helga said "crap" in at least two episodes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6az3jv8G_0#t=6m59s) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkSMq4tZG3M#t=2m45s). You should see how much "Ren & Stimpy" and "Rocko's Modern Life" got away with, though...o_O;

"crap" isn't too bad, IMO.

Not sure if it counts as a swear, but a few Fairly Odd Parents episodes/characters used sexy.

I use "freak" and "frig" as a substitute for the f word.

"I hate this freaking course." Or "I was one frigging point away from an A."

It's not a swear.

I use "crabapple" instead of crap these days.

I use "crud" in place of crap.

Watched too many Kids Next Door episodes I guess.

Didn't King Neptune say "damn" in the Spongebob movie?

Nightwatcher said:
Didn't King Neptune say "damn" in the Spongebob movie?

That was "damning" I believe. I think it's left in the Nick airings, too. It's sometimes fun to watch TV airings of movies to see what lines they change or cut out.

Those were the days when parents weren't so sensitive to mild swear words.

Back