New stuff you'd like in future Mario rpgs?

Baby Luigi Lacertae said:
I'd like a Toad rather than a Magikoopa TBH

Hey, we could have both! The Toad can have a weapon or something. Perhaps, he can be a Toad soldier, like the ones guarding the castle in the first Paper Mario (I think).

The Magikoopa can be a buffer who can power up Mario, and debuff opponents.

Leonyx said:
Hey, we could have both!
The Magikoopa can be a buffer who can power up Mario, and debuff opponents.

That's a good idea. Maybe Magikoopa's move set could be:

Magic Attack: The classic magic blast consisting of a triangle, square, and circle. Ignores defense and can attack one enemy regardless of position. It can even attack invisible enemies.

Mario UP: Raises Mario's and the Magikoopa's attack and defense by 2 for a minium of 2 turns and a maximum of 6 turns.

Power Down: Same as "Mario Up" only it lowers enemies attack and defense.

First-Aid: Heals all of Mario's status ailments whether good or bad, so be careful when you use it.

Field Ability: Fires a magic blast out of his wand and if it hits an enemy in the field, it counts as a first strike.

superjeff64 said:
That's a good idea. Maybe Magikoopa's move set could be:

Magic Attack: The classic magic blast consisting of a triangle, square, and circle. Ignores defense and can attack one enemy regardless of position. It can even attack invisible enemies.

Mario UP: Raises Mario's and the Magikoopa's attack and defense by 2 for a minium of 2 turns and a maximum of 6 turns.

Power Down: Same as "Mario Up" only it lowers enemies attack and defense.

First-Aid: Heals all of Mario's status ailments whether good or bad, so be careful when you use it.

Field Ability: Fires a magic blast out of his wand and if it hits an enemy in the field, it counts as a first strike.

Something like that, but with some kind of damaging move besides his first one. I think his debuff move should have damage maybe. I have no idea what his field ability should be.

Perhaps the Toad's abilities could be (he carries a spear by the way):

Stab: Toad runs towards his target and stabs him by following a button press. Leveling him up gives him more opportunities to stab.

Tattle: You know what this is...

Spear Toss: Toad moves back a bit before delivering a painful spear into an opponent via throwing (the action command is just like a hammer, but charges longer). This attack can hit any enemy that's not invisible, and is strong enough to knock the target into another one.

Toad's Inner Fire: Toad's fierce dedication to his kingdom is realized and manifests as an increase in attack power and the ability to burn opponents (the action command can be a set of button presses again I guess).

What do you think?

Well, its interesting. Maybe there should be 2 Toad partners. One with my moves and one with your moves. Mine's a reference to old-school classic Toad and yours is a reference to Paper Mario 1 and Galaxy. I think both of our ideas could work.

I would personally like Toadette as a partner. She at least played a role in PMTTYD

I would personally like Toadette as a partner. She at least played a role in PMTTYD

Another good idea, I prefer Toadette over Toad. Although I'm too tired/lazy to make a move set right now.

I can come up with a field ability though. In the field, Toadette can recover everyone's HP by 5 at the cost of 5 FP. It can be used multiple times provided the player has enough FP. Can't be used if the player has less than 5 FP.

Sounds like an optional partner to me.

Leonyx said:
Herr Shyguy said:
Oh yeah, I also want Bowser to be even a little respectable as a villain. It's shameful what every RPG after Paper Mario has done to the poor guy.

Agreed. No more playable Bowser, make him the main villian, or at least a powerful force.

Well that's not always true. Bowser was playable in Bowser's inside Story and he was fought as a boss twice. Anyway the next Mario RPG should have the Shroobs in it. Paper Mario 3DS might have a chain Chomp partner so mabye a Magikoopa partner or something.

twinArmageddons said:
There aren't enough sidequests to have continual play IMO.

Welcome to about every nintendo game in existence.

but yeah, common complaint from me really. Hardly any side content, so it's basically main story and that's it.

superjeff64 said:
I'd like for each character to have their own inventory.

Dragon Quest/ Mother series kinda thing?

Wouldn't be that bad for the Paper Mario series. Since the item bag only holds so much hmm.

Zae said:
superjeff64 said:

Wouldn't be that bad for the Paper Mario series. Since the item bag only holds so much hmm.

The Mario and Luigi series has infinite item inventory (or at least 99 of every item)

Zae said:
superjeff64 said:

The Mario and Luigi series has infinite item inventory (or at least 99 of every item)

I know lol. Nothing new about that.

Although having limited inventory makes things a bit more interesting.

Challenge wise anyway.

Although problem with giving each character their own inventory is having to remember which character has which items.

Some badges that affect your items would be neat.

I don't like restricted item inventories. Especially in the first Paper Mario. It's extremely limited

superjeff64 said:
Although problem with giving each character their own inventory is having to remember which character has which items.

True enough, although it is still better than just one limited inventory though. Wonder how badges would effect items though?

Besides the ever so common double item and refund. Perhaps some badge that gives a short of throw ability that makes items do certain things or perhaps create skills from items?

I don't like restricted item inventories. Especially in the first Paper Mario. It's extremely limited

It's usually not that great of an idea to have just one limited inventory. Probably why dq and mother series developed a system for each character having their own inventory.

Although it is a bit difficult and requires some planning with limited inventories, but having unlimited also makes things a bit too easy and also can annoy people with such long scrolling times I suppose.

Either way it's not that big of a deal or really not the biggest gameplay element, but something to think over for challenge and survival purposes.

It also helps when you have an extra bag or something that can hold alot of items(think of it as a storage box of some kind).

The one in the first Paper Mario, however, is extremely restricted and has frustrated me more than gave me a challenge

The one in the first Paper Mario, however, is extremely restricted and has frustrated me more than gave me a challenge

Oh yeah, wasn't it like, less than 10 items or something?

I don't remember an upgrade either. Luckily they fixed that in pm2(with the bag upgrade and all).

Yeah, I only played the first one and there was no upgrade. I hope later Paper Mario games will continue expanding item inventories, such as what Thousand Year Door did.

I prefer infinite inventories. No matter how big, finite inventories always seem too small.

Scrub Jay said:
I prefer infinite inventories. No matter how big, finite inventories always seem too small.

Do you think that limited inventories ruin the game?

Curious question.

More inventory space would be good, but endless inventory is not a good idea. PKMN Platinum caused me so much frustration as I had to constantly scroll down to get the item I wanted.

Speaking of inventory space, funny story is I finished Paper Mario a week ago and loaded my inventory with as much Ultra Shrooms, Jammin' Jellies, and Life Shrooms as I could find and during the final battle, I only needed to use one ultra shroom.

Zae said:
superjeff64 said:

Wonder how badges would effect items though?

I made my own badge effect, its called the band-aid badge and if a recovery item is used, an extra 5 HP or FP is recovered.

They should probably do something about items in the next game that buffs them up somehow. I remember rarely using items unless I couldn't attack an enemy for some reason.

superjeff64 said:
More inventory space would be good, but endless inventory is not a good idea. PKMN Platinum caused me so much frustration as I had to constantly scroll down to get the item I wanted.

Well, think about Pokemon Red and Blue's item menu. Terrible.

Back