Donkey Kong Country Returns 2

Leonyx

Glory to the Shroob Empire! Long live the Shroobs!
Note: This is not a confirmation of a sequel. It's just a discussion topic.

Hello, everyone! New poster here. I love to analyze video games and their stories, and Mario games are no different. I plan on making threads that ask those questions no one dares ask (or cares to ask).

Anyways, this thread isn't about me, it's about Donkey Kong Country Returns! As much as I loved the game, I was somewhat disappointed with it. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it. But I expected more of a return of the original game, and not such a big change to it. The game is great in its own right, though.

What I wish was in Returns was:
-the slightly darker tone in the original; the original was like "We may be in the jungle, but this is serious business", Returns was like "You're in the jungle, but have fun with it!"
-more Kongs; it's kinda weird to only see three Kongs in the whole game
-a bit more feeling in the music; some of the scores were wonderful and portrayed immense feeling, but many were lacking
-less retcons all around; I can't be the only one who noticed that Cranky was a grandpa now

Those were the main things missing from the game in my opinion. I have a few more, but they're small gripes. What I want to know is what you are looking for in a return to King K. Rool's land? What would you like to see in Donkey Kong Country Returns 2? I personally would love to see how they refresh the themes in the game. I felt that Donkey Kong Country 2 had the best soundtrack of the series. Also, I want a return of the Kremlings. It wouldn't be difficult, since they would be on their home island. Feel free to comment on what you wanted to see in the first game, and what you'd like to see in the second.

I would want to see the Tiki Tak Tribe strike back.

Basically, the Tiki leaders managed to survive, and have attempted to revive Tiki Tong. However, in order to do that, they must steal DK's Banana Hoard again. But unlike with the prequel, they attack DK's home by storm, capturing him during the process.

The next day, Diddy heads to DK's home, and notices that the home got ransacked. He then sees a message from the Tiki leaders, stating that they kidnapped DK. The message also states that if Diddy wants DK back, he must give them every single banana on the island.

Angered by this incident, Diddy decides to contact Dixie Kong, and the two head out to save DK and his banana hoard from the revenge seeking Tiki Tak Tribe.

The game play elements from the prequel do return, but some new additions are added as well...

*Underwater levels return.
*Rambi, Expresso, Enguarde, and Squitter appear as animal buddies.
*Unlike with the prequel, Diddy and Dixie travel from island to island, pursuing the Tiki leaders' ship.
*Nibbla returns as a water obstacle. It'll be unique in that it can deduct two hearts from the Kongs, instead of just one; basically, you'd be an instant goner if Nibbla attacks you.

Worlds...

World 1: DK Island; Jungle-themed world
World 2: Desert Island; Desert-themed world
World 3: Aqua Island; Water-themed world
World 4: Glacier Island; Glacier-themed world
World 5: Great Cavern Island; Cavern-themed world
World 6: Mecha Island; Factory-themed world
World 7: Magma Island; Lava-themed world
World 8: Tiki Airship; Airship-themed world
World 9: Lost World; an extra world, involving the first 7 world themes; Tiki Tong is also fought here

Leonyx said:
Anyways, this thread isn't about me, it's about Donkey Kong Country Returns! As much as I loved the game, I was somewhat disappointed with it. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it. But I expected more of a return of the original game, and not such a big change to it. The game is great in its own right, though.
That's pretty much the exact same way I felt about it. There weren't enough words to describe how disappointed I was when they left the Kremlings out, and replaced them with the Tiki Tak Tribe, which happen to be some of the most bland and generic villains ever. Even then, I wouldn't have minded this as much if one of the Retro Studios employees didn't pipe up with that stupid "Does K. Rool HAVE to come back?" remark. Oh, yeah. Now that's reassuring. Did they honestly expect people to be content with that? If you ask me, I'd say that was just downright disrespectful, and did nothing more than add salt to the wound. Especially when you take into consideration that they KNEW how much people wanted the Kremlings to be there, but they instead chose to blatantly disregard them. That quote says it all, they just flat-out didn't care. When the sequel inevitably comes to exist, and they decide to pull a stunt like this again, I'm going to blow a fuse.

Anyway, the things I want in the next game are:

*The return of the Kremlings. I don't ever, EVER want to see the Tikis or anyone like them again.
*The return of Dixie, Kiddy, and the other Kong Family members that they (stupidly) left out of Returns.
*More playable Animal Buddies than just Rambi.
*Underwater levels.
*A more story-driven plot.
*The return of the "tag" system, where it's possible to play as more than just Donkey Kong.
*More nods and references to other games in the series, besides the first one.

Leonyx said:
I plan on making threads that ask those questions no one dares ask (or cares to ask).
Oh boy, that ought to be interesting.

Nitro Man said:
That's pretty much the exact same way I felt about it. There weren't enough words to describe how disappointed I was when they left the Kremlings out, and replaced them with the Tiki Tak Tribe, which happen to be some of the most bland and generic villains ever. Even then, I wouldn't have minded this as much if one of the Retro Studios employees didn't pipe up with that stupid "Does K. Rool HAVE to come back?" remark. Oh, yeah. Now that's reassuring. Did they honestly expect people to be content with that? If you ask me, I'd say that was just downright disrespectful, and did nothing more than add salt to the wound. Especially when you take into consideration that they KNEW how much people wanted the Kremlings to be there, but they instead chose to blatantly disregard them. That quote says it all, they just flat-out didn't care. When the sequel inevitably comes to exist, and they decide to pull a stunt like this again, I'm going to blow a fuse.

Well, I didn't feel THAT strongly about it. It was just a minor thing I noticed. To be perfectly honest, I didn't think it was that big a deal that they left out the Kremlings. But the Tikis and their new set of enemies are pretty generic feeling, I will admit.

I feel that they should make a return though. I think Retro's trying to bring its own ideas and style to the series, that's all. That being said, I think they should bring back the Kremlings. I even came up with a way to bring them both together.

Let's say that the Tikis are linked to all of the volcanos of the world. After the failure at their first attemped takeover, the Tikis search for a new land, coming across Crocodile Isle's volcano. Realizing that the Tikis wanted revenge against the Kongs, King K. Rool allies with them. Yeah, I know it's bland. Donkey Kong's not known for its story.

Herr Shyguy said:
Leonyx said:
I plan on making threads that ask those questions no one dares ask (or cares to ask).
Oh boy, that ought to be interesting.

It should be very interesting, I believe.

Well here's my ideas:

1. The Kremlings join the Tikis. I don't see how Tiki Tong can be a rival to Donkey Kong. He's barely an animate being and doesn't even have a body. If these two villains join their forces against the Kongs the game could get really intense. K.Rool is of course the final boss and Tiki Tong is the subfinal one.

2. More Kongs: Funky and Dixie are playable in specific parts of the game and they can be played in the 4 player co-op mode. Also Candy and Wrinkly are good candidates for some extra cameos in the game.

3. Water levels: Enguarde or maybe a new animal buddy.

4. I see that a desert-themed world was mentioned above, so maybe a camel could be a cool new animal buddy for the Kongs.

5. A savannah-themed world would be cool as well. Large felines, hyenas, baboons and whatever else could be thrown into this one.

6. A snow/glacier world should be included too.

List of Kongs:
Donkey/ Diddy/ Dixie/ Funky: playable
Candy, Wrinkly (not as a ghost), Cranky (non-playable)

Animal buddies: Rambi, Enguarde, Squawks and two new ones

List of worlds:
1. Jungle
2. Savannah
3. Desert
4. Glacier/ Snow
5. Water
6. Factory
7. Underworld (lava etc)
8. Airship
9. Lost world

What I want in DKCR2 that wasn't in DKCR:

*Kremlings, no Tikis unless they team up
*More Kongs (I expect to see Dixie team up with Diddy to save DK)
*Underwater levels
*More animal buddies
*More exciting Bonus Levels (the ones in DKCR are all so similar and boring)
*More level themes: I don't like how the Jungle World has all the jungle levels, the Beach World has all the beach levels, etc. I liked it better when there was a variety of different level themes in each world. That way, I don't get sick of seeing the same level theme over and over again, only to find a level with a different theme in a whole new world.
*More creative level themes. Throughout the first 3 DKC games there's been tree levels, haunted forest levels, waterfall levels, and even Zinger hive levels, but DKCR just had a bunch of boring themes that were brought back from the first DKC (although I like the Golden Temple).
*More detail on the world maps
*Darker tone
*Better remixes for the music. All the original themes from DKC were better than the remixes in DKCR.
*Replay value
*More creative levels. The previous DKC games had so many creative things but I feel DKCR was lacking in that.
*Bring back that "Tag Team" system. I always wanted to play Diddy in single player mode in DKCR.

Funny thing how most of this stuff isn't featured in DKCR, but it is featured in the previous DKC games. Retro got rid of all the good things. :(

Nintendo does and would give them permission to use him. If K. Rool weren't owned by Nintendo we wouldn't be seeing him in Mario Super Sluggers, DK: Jungle Climber, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, etc.

Oh my bad Or maybe they didn't think the Kremlings were innaproprite or bad cause of the original artwork or they were not as cool

Fawfulfury65 said:
*Kremlings, no Tikis unless they team up
*Underwater levels
*More animal buddies
*More exciting Bonus Levels (the ones in DKCR are all so similar and boring)
*More level themes: I don't like how the Jungle World has all the jungle levels, the Beach World has all the beach levels, etc. I liked it better when there was a variety of different level themes in each world. That way, I don't get sick of seeing the same level theme over and over again, only to find a level with a different theme in a whole new world.
*More creative level themes. Throughout the first 3 DKC games there's been tree levels, haunted forest levels, waterfall levels, and even Zinger hive levels, but DKCR just had a bunch of boring themes that were brought back from the first DKC (although I like the Golden Temple).
*More detail on the world maps
*Darker tone
*Better remixes for the music. All the original themes from DKC were better than the remixes in DKCR.

These are good ideas. However, I want Donkey to be the star again, it's his game anyway. Also throw that pig away.

I think that Retro relied on NSMBWii a lot. The kalamaris flying horizontally resemble bullet bills, the giant Koalas are Lakitus, even the Golden Temple looks like the happy looking but extremely hard levels from the Star Roads. Not to mention that the world maps with the red and blue buttons were directly taken from that game.

Yuki Nagato said:
Wrinkly (not as a ghost)
Why?
You just have to face it; She's dead. She ain't coming back.
though she passed away, she can appear as a ghost character since Nintendo want :P
Funky and Candy hold for mini games in old series, not knowing whether they have chances to appear
or make them kdnapped by the next boss?

the first Return is a nice example of remake
if a sequel, I think it may follow more like New Mario bros to let Dixie sisters playable and four play together
and add some other items to use
but it also needs a new main plot to fit in

Itsa that Guy! said:
Oh my bad Or maybe they didn't think the Kremlings were innaproprite or bad cause of the original artwork or they were not as cool

Basically, I think Retro Studios only wanted to respect what Nintendo and Rare did in the past. Therefore, the company wanted to be original with their designs, which is where the Tiki Tak Tribe came into play.

MnSG said:
Basically, I think Retro Studios only wanted to respect what Nintendo and Rare did in the past. Therefore, the company wanted to be original with their designs, which is where the Tiki Tak Tribe came into play.

Yep, that's what I think was going on. They're just trying to put their own spin on it and make it their own. Otherwise, I can't think of any other reason as to why the Kremlings shouldn't be included.

Fawfulfury65 said:

I had forgotten about this point. It was nice and refreshing to go to different levels in the original.

Yeah that's what it is. The people at Retro have actually stated that in some interview. They said it was their game so why not make everything brand new. They also mentioend that Cranky was included after Miyamoto's exhortation.

The Tikis worked pretty good for the game, however Tiki Tong was kind of a disappointment compared to K.Rool.

I'd like:

-go back to the more rugged and realistic look of the SNES trilogy.
-have some stuff in the minecart and rocket barrel levels that doesn't kill you in one hit.
-more animal buddies and much more levels when you can use them. I think Rambi was in like three levels of DKCR, that was rather dissapointing.
-kremlings
-being able to play as Diddy in SP (himself or as a tag-team, doesn't matter);
-more silhouette levels.
-less waggle. I paid for a classic controller nintendo, just let me use it.

but I'd be happy with a sequel even if it didn't do any of that, DKCR is excellence.

Although never played Donkey Kong Country myself, some people and I would be pleased to see the Kremlings and Kiddy Kong return. Especially Kiddy Kong. He has been neglected.

FunkyKong84 said:
Yeah that's what it is. The people at Retro have actually stated that in some interview. They said it was their game so why not make everything brand new. They also mentioend that Cranky was included after Miyamoto's exhortation.

The Tikis worked pretty good for the game, however Tiki Tong was kind of a disappointment compared to K.Rool.

Agreed. Tiki Tong wasn't nearly long enough of a boss fight. I would have appreciated a lengthy battle, like the old games did.

Leonyx said:
FunkyKong84 said:

Agreed. Tiki Tong wasn't nearly long enough of a boss fight. I would have appreciated a lengthy battle, like the old games did.

Maybe if the Tiki Tak Tribe comes back, Tiki Tong may feature moves that it never had before.

I doubt we will be seeing K. Rool in DKCR2 (if there will be one). If DKCR didn't then it is obvious that the sequels won't :3. DKCR2 will have Diddy and Dixie as playables! I also hope there will be a Kaptain K. Rool Country 2 and Kaptain K. Rool Land II , first will be King K. Rool Country and then King K. Rool Land XD.

Back